- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 368265, 9 pages
Role of Money in Smaller Pacific Island Countries
1School of Economics, Faculty of Business and Economics, The University of the South Pacific, Laucala Bay Road, Suva, Fiji
2Centre for Economic Studies, Faculty of Business and Finance, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Perak Campus, Jalan Universiti, Bandar Barat, Perak Darul Ridzuan, 31900 Kampar, Malaysia
Received 5 August 2011; Revised 24 November 2011; Accepted 5 January 2012
Academic Editor: Paresh Kumar Narayan
Copyright © 2012 T. K. Jayaraman and Chee-Keong Choong. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Barro, “Unanticipated money growth and unemployment in the United States,” American Economic Review, vol. 67, pp. 101–115, 1977.
- R. G. King and C. I. Plosser, “Money, credit and prices in a real business cycle,” American Economic Review, vol. 74, pp. 363–380, 1984.
- J. P. Cover, “Asymmetric effects of positive and negative money-supply shocks,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 4, pp. 1261–1282, 1992.
- M. A. Thoma, “Subsample instability and asymmetries in money-income causality,” Journal of Econometrics, vol. 64, no. 1-2, pp. 279–306, 1994.
- R. W. Hafer and A. M. Kutan, “More evidence on the money-output relationship,” Economic Inquiry, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 48–58, 1997.
- C. Walsh, Monetary Theory and Policy, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 2003.
- F. Mishkin, Economics of Money, Banking and Financial Markets, Addison-Wesley, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- N. Joynson, Money Demand in Fiji, Reserve Bank of Fiji, 1997.
- R. Katafono, “The relationship between monetary aggregates, inflation and output in Fiji,” Economics Department Working Paper 2000-02, Reserve Bank of Fiji, 2000.
- T. K. Jayaraman and C. K. Choong, “How does monetary policy transmission mechanism work in Fiji?” International Review of Economics, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 145–161, 2009.
- T. K. Jayaraman and C. K. Choong, “Monetary policy transmission mechanism in Fiji: an empirical analysis of the quarterly model,” International Journal of Business and Management, vol. 3, pp. 11–26, 2008.
- T. K. Jayaraman and C. K. Choong, “Is money endogenous in the Pacific Island countries?” Journal of Eastern Caribbean Studies, vol. 34, pp. 68–78, 2009.
- T. K. Jayaraman, C. K. Choong, and D. Kumar, “Does money matter in Fiji? An empirical study for the period 1970–2007,” Pacific Economic Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 93–109, 2010.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF), International Financial Statistic, CD-ROM, IMF, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- M. A. Zulkhibri, “Causality link between money, output and prices in Malaysia: an empirical re-examination,” Applied Econometrics and International Development, vol. 7, pp. 210–220, 2007.
- C. A. Sims, “Money, income, and causality,” American Economic Review, vol. 62, pp. 540–552, 1972.
- A. Devan and P. C. Rangazar, “Money and business cycle: another look,” Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 69, pp. 1–18, 1987.
- J. T. Cuddington, “Money, income, and causality in the United Kingdom: an empirical reexamination,” Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol. 13, pp. 342–351, 1981.
- B. Hayo, “Money-output Granger causality revisited: an empirical analysis of EU countries,” Applied Economics, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1489–1501, 1999.
- S. Ahmed, Does Money Affect Output? Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, 1993.
- L. J. Christiano and L. Ljungqvist, “Money does Granger-cause output in the bivariate money-output relation,” Journal of Monetary Economics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 217–235, 1988.
- M. A. Starr, “Does money matter in the CIS? Effects of monetary policy on output and prices,” Journal of Comparative Economics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 441–461, 2005.
- P. K. Narayan and R. Smyth, “The residential demand for electricity in Australia: an application of the bounds testing approach to cointegration,” Energy Policy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 467–474, 2005.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB), Asian Development Outlook 2008, ADB, Manila, Philippines, 2010.
- United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific (UN ESCAP) , Economic and Social Survey 2008, UNESCAP, Bangkok, Thailand, 2010.
- R. Engle and C. Granger, “Co-integration and error correction: representation, estimation and testing,” Econometrica, vol. 55, pp. 251–276, 1987.
- S. Johansen and K. Juselius, “Maximum likelihood estimation and inference on cointegration-with application to the demand for money,” Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, vol. 52, pp. 169–210, 1990.
- D. A. Dickey and W. A. Fuller, “Likelihood ratio statistics for autoregressive time series with a unit root,” Econometrica, vol. 49, pp. 1057–1072, 1981.
- S. G. Pantula, G. Gonzalez-Farias, and W. A. Fuller, “A comparison of unit-root test criteria,” Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, vol. 12, pp. 449–459, 1994.
- G. Elliott, T. J. Rothenberg, and J. H. Stock, “Efficient tests for an autoregressive unit root,” Econometrica, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 813–836, 1996.
- P. K. Narayan and S. Narayan, “Estimating the demand for money in an unstable open economy: the case of the Fiji Islands,” Economic Issues, vol. 13, pp. 71–91, 2008.
- P. K. Narayan, “Revisiting the US money demand function: an application of the Lagrange multiplier structural break unit root test and the bounds test for a long-run relationship,” Applied Economics, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 897–904, 2008.
- P. K. Narayan, “Modelling money demand for a panel of eight transitional economies,” Applied Economics, vol. 42, no. 25, pp. 3293–3305, 2010.