Research Article | Open Access
Kelvii Wei Guo, Hon Yuen Tam, "Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser Microtexturing AISI-O1 Surface for Thermal Spray Coating", SRX Engineering, vol. 2010, Article ID 509752, 6 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3814/2010/509752
Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser Microtexturing AISI-O1 Surface for Thermal Spray Coating
Pulsed Nd:YAG laser was used to microtexture AISI-O1 cold work steel to control the substrate surface characteristics for later thermal spray coating to enhance the wearability. Influence of microtexturing parameters on the 3D surface morphology was studied by Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), and Optical Microscopy (OM). Results show that when AISI-O1 specimens are irradiated with various parameters the morphology of AISI-O1 cold work steel is changed correspondingly. It demonstrates that for a given laser the influence of laser microtexturing parameters on the morphology of the machined surface could be established successfully attractive to the thermal spray world. In the meantime, the wearability and antifatigue of the succedent thermal spray coating are significantly increased with the appropriate microtextured surface.
- M. J. Madou, “Microfabrication challenge,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 378, no. 1, pp. 11–14, 2004.
- J. J. Mark, Microfabrication and Nanomanufacturing, CRC/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2006.
- C. Gorecki, A. Sabac, P. Bey, K. Gut, A. Jacobelli, and T. Dean, “Integrated optomechanical sensor for in situ characterization of MEMS: the implementing of a readout architecture,” in Microsystems Engineering: Metrology and Inspection III, C. Gorecki, Ed., vol. 5145 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 189–195, Munich, Germany, 2003.
- H. J. Fecht and M. Werner, The Nano-Micro Interface: Bridging the Micro and Nano Worlds, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2004.
- S. Lugomer, Laser Technology-Laser Driven Processes, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1990.
- S. Kurt, R. Wolfgang, and P. Oskar, “Formation of paint surface on different surface structure of steel sheet,” Iron & Steel Engineering, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 43–49, 1997.
- G. Ryk, Y. Kligerman, and I. Etsion, “Experimental investigation of laser surface texturing for reciprocating automotive components,” Tribology Transactions, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 444–449, 2002.
- W. M. Steen, Laser Material Processing, Springer, London, UK, 3rd edition, 2003.
- K. W. Guo, “Effect of polishing parameters on morphology of DF2 (AISI-O 1) steel surface polished by Nd:YAG laser,” Surface Engineering, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 187–195, 2009.
- A. F. Mills, Heat and Mass Transfer, P. R. Donnelly & Sons, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1995.
- W. S. Janna, Engineering Heat Transfer, PWS Engineering, Boston, Mass, USA, 1986.
Copyright © 2010 Kelvii Wei Guo and Hon Yuen Tam. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.