- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 629246, 12 pages
Effects of Intraguild Predation: Evaluating Resource Competition between Two Canid Species with Apparent Niche Separation
1Department of Wildland Resources, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322, USA
2U.S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services, National Wildlife Research Center, Logan, UT 84322, USA
3AGEISS Environmental, 1617 Ontario Street SE, Olympia, WA 98501, USA
Received 23 May 2011; Accepted 25 August 2011
Academic Editor: Andrew Sih
Copyright © 2012 Adam J. Kozlowski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Volterra, “Fluctuations in the abundance of a species considered mathematically,” Nature, vol. 118, no. 2972, pp. 558–560, 1926.
- A. J. Lotka, “The growth of mixed populations: two species competing for a common food supply,” Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences, vol. 22, pp. 461–469, 1932.
- D. Lack, Darwin's Finches, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1944.
- J. D. Olden and N. L. Poff, “Toward a mechanistic understanding and prediction of biotic homogenization,” The American Naturalist, vol. 162, no. 4, pp. 442–460, 2003.
- T. Day and K. A. Young, “Competitive and facilitative evolutionary diversification,” BioScience, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 101–109, 2004.
- R. A. Armstrong and R. McGehee, “Competitive exclusion,” The American Naturalist, vol. 115, pp. 151–170, 1980.
- P. Abrams, “The theory of limiting similarity,” Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, vol. 14, pp. 359–376, 1983.
- T. J. Case and M. E. Gilpin, “Interference competition and niche theory,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 3073–3077, 1974.
- T. K. Fuller and L. B. Keith, “Non-overlaping ranges of coyotes and wolves in northeastern Alberta,” Journal of Mammalogy, vol. 62, pp. 403–405, 1981.
- D. R. Voigt and B. D. Earle, “Avoidance of coyotes by red fox families,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 47, pp. 852–857, 1983.
- S. M. Durant, “Competition refuges and coexistence: an example from Serengeti carnivores,” Journal of Animal Ecology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 370–386, 1998.
- W. M. Arjo and D. H. Pletscher, “Behavioral responses of coyotes to wolf recolonization in northwestern Montana,” The Canadian Journal of Zoology, vol. 77, no. 12, pp. 1919–1927, 1999.
- C. M. Thompson and E. M. Gese, “Food webs and intraguild predation: community interactions of a native mesocarnivore,” Ecology, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 334–346, 2007.
- W. M. Arjo, E. M. Gese, T. J. Bennett, and A. J. Kozolowski, “Changes in kit fox-coyote-prey relationships in the Great Basin Desert, Utah,” Western North The American Naturalist, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 389–401, 2007.
- C. W. Neu, C. R. Byers, and J. M. Peek, “A technique for analysis of utilization-availability data,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 38, pp. 541–545, 1974.
- D. H. Johnson, “The comparison of usage and availability measurements for evaluating resource preference,” Ecology, vol. 61, pp. 65–71, 1980.
- A. J. Kozlowski, E. M. Gese, and W. M. Arjo, “Niche overlap and resource partitioning between sympatric kit foxes and coyotes in the Great Basin Desert of Western Utah,” The American Midland Naturalist, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 191–208, 2008.
- H. J. Egoscue, “Ecology and life history of the kit fox in Tooele County, Utah,” Ecology, vol. 43, pp. 481–497, 1962.
- H. J. Egoscue, “Population dynamics of the kit fox in Western Utah,” Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Science, vol. 74, pp. 122–127, 1975.
- W. M. Arjo, T. J. Bennett, and A. J. Kozlowski, “Characteristics of current and historical kit fox (Vulpes macrotis) dens in the Great Basin Desert,” The Canadian Journal of Zoology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2003.
- AGEISS Environmental, “Natural resources at U.S. Army Dugway Proving Ground 1952–1998: wildlife and habitat descriptions, historic and recent study summaries, conclusions, and future management recommendations,” Directorate of Environmental Programs, U.S. Army Dugway Proving Ground, Utah, USA, 1998.
- V. Emrick and A. Hill, “Classification of great basin plant communities on dugway proving ground, Utah,” Tech. Rep. number 99/30, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, 1999.
- M. W. Barrett, J. W. Nolan, and L. D. Roy, “Evaluation of a hand-held net-gun to capture large animals,” Wildlife Society Bulletin, vol. 10, pp. 108–114, 1982.
- E. M. Gese, O. J. Rongstad, and W. R. Mytton, “Manual and net-gun capture of coyotes from helicopters,” Wildlife Society Bulletin, vol. 15, pp. 444–445, 1987.
- A. J. Kozlowski, T. J. Bennett, E. M. Gese, and W. M. Arjo, “Live capture of denning mammals using an improved box-trap enclosure: kit foxes as a test case,” Wildlife Society Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 630–633, 2003.
- E. M. Gese, O. J. Rongstad, and W. R. Mytton, “Home range and habitat use of coyotes in southeastern Colorado,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 640–646, 1988.
- R. K. Swihart and N. A. Slade, “Testing for independence of observations in animal movements,” Ecology, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1176–1184, 1985.
- R. K. Swihart and N. A. Slade, “Influence of sampling interval on estimates of home-range size,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1019–1025, 1985.
- E. M. Gese, D. E. Andersen, and O. J. Rongstad, “Determining home-range size of resident coyotes from point and sequential locations,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 501–506, 1990.
- D. L. Kramer and M. Bonenfant, “Direction of predator approach and the decision to flee to a refuge,” Animal Behaviour, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 289–295, 1997.
- S. Louis and M. Le Berre, “Adjustment of flight distances in Marmota marmota,” The Canadian Journal of Zoology, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 556–563, 2000.
- J. A. Bissonette, S. S. Sherburne, and D. R. Ramsey, “Analyzing telemetry data with a GIS-based vector structure,” International Journal of Geographic Information Systems, vol. 8, pp. 533–543, 1994.
- L. E. T. Ostro, T. P. Young, S. C. Silver, and F. W. Koontz, “A geographic information system method for estimating home range size,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 748–755, 1999.
- D. R. Griffin, Animal Minds, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1992.
- R. C. Jennings, “A philosophical consideration of awareness,” Applied Animal Behaviour Science, vol. 57, no. 3-4, pp. 201–211, 1998.
- M. A. Elgar, “Predator vigilance and group size in mammals and birds: a critical review of the empirical evidence,” Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 13–33, 1989.
- A. Frid and L. M. Dill, “Human-caused disturbance stimuli as a form of predation risk,” Conservation Ecology, vol. 6, no. 1, p. 11, 2002.
- P. S. Morey, E. M. Gese, and S. Gehrt, “Spatial and temporal variation in the diet of coyotes in the Chicago metropolitan area,” The American Midland Naturalist, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 147–161, 2007.
- S. Cherry, “A comparison of confidence interval methods for habitat use-availability studies,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 653–658, 1996.
- F. A. Leban, Resource Selection for Windows, Version: Beta 8, University of Idaho, Idaho, Moscow, Russia, 1999.
- M. Elbroch, Mammal Tracks and Sign: A Guide to North American Species, Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, Pa, USA, 2003.
- K. Ralls and D. A. Smith, “Latrine use by san joaquin kit foxes (Vulpes macrotis mutica) and coyotes (Canis latrans),” Western North The American Naturalist, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 544–547, 2004.
- R. F. W. Barnes and S. C. Tapper, “A method for counting hares by spotlight,” Journal of Zoology, vol. 206, pp. 273–276, 1985.
- K. Ralls and L. L. Eberhardt, “Assessment of abundance of San Joaquin kit foxes by spotlight surveys,” Journal of Mammalogy, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 65–73, 1997.
- R. B. Bury and P. S. Corn, “Evaluation of pitfall trapping in northwestern forests: trap arrays with drift fences,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 51, pp. 112–119, 1987.
- J. E. Funderburk, D. C. Herzog, T. P. Mack, and R. E. Lynch, “Sampling lesser cornstalk borer (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) adults in several crops with reference to adult dispersion patterns,” Environmental Entomology, vol. 14, pp. 452–458, 1985.
- S. L. Pimm and M. L. Rosenzweig, “Competitors and habitat use,” Oikos, vol. 37, pp. 1–6, 1981.
- R. H. MacArthur and E. L. Pianka, “On optimal use of a patchy environment,” The American Naturalist, vol. 100, pp. 603–609, 1966.
- M. E. Power, “Top-down and bottom-up forces in food webs: do plants have primacy?” Ecology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 733–746, 1992.
- R. T. Golightly and R. D. Ohmart, “Water economy of two desert canids: coyote and kit fox,” Journal of Mammalogy, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 1984.
- G. D. Warrick, J. H. Scrivner, and T. P. O'Farrell, “Demographic responses of kit foxes to supplemental feeding,” Southwestern Naturalist, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 367–374, 1999.
- P. J. White and R. A. Garrott, “Population dynamics of kit foxes,” The Canadian Journal of Zoology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 486–493, 1999.
- J. H. Brown, “Two decades of homage to santa rosalia: toward a general theory of diversity,” The American Zoologist, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 877–888, 1981.
- G. E. Hutchinson, “Homage to Santa Rosalia, or why are there so many kinds of animals?” The American Naturalist, vol. 93, pp. 145–159, 1959.
- R. H. MacArthur, “On the relative abundance of bird species,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 43, pp. 293–295, 1957.
- R. E. ricklefs, Ecology, W.H. Freeman, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1990.
- P. Ekerholm, L. Oksanen, T. Oksanen, and M. Schneider, “The impact of short-term predator removal on vole dynamics in an arctic-alpine landscape,” Oikos, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 457–468, 2004.
- S. E. Henke and F. C. Bryant, “Effects of coyote removal on the faunal community in western Texas,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1066–1081, 1999.
- S. M. Karki, E. M. Gese, and M. L. Klavetter, “Effects of coyote population reduction on swift fox demographics in southeastern Colorado,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 2707–2718, 2007.
- R. E. Hoare, “Determinants of human-elephant conflict in a land-use mosaic,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 689–700, 1999.