Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2015, Article ID 689420, 7 pages
Research Article

Assessment of Some Heavy Metals Pollution and Bioavailability in Roadside Soil of Alexandria-Marsa Matruh Highway, Egypt

1Geological Sciences Department, National Research Centre, 33 El Bohouth Street (Formerly El Tahrir Street), P.O. Box 12622, Dokki, Giza, Egypt
2Geology Department, Faculty of Science, Al Azhar University, Assiut Branch, Egypt
3Geology Department, Faculty of Science, Assiut University, Egypt

Received 26 September 2015; Accepted 6 December 2015

Academic Editor: Béla Tóthmérész

Copyright © 2015 Ahmed A. Elnazer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.


To assess the roadside soils contamination with Pb, Cd, and Zn, 34 soil samples were collected along Alexandria-Marsa Matruh highway, Egypt, and analyzed by using the atomic absorption. The contamination with these metals was evaluated by applying index of geoaccumulation , contamination factor (CF), pollution load index (PLI), the single ecological risk index , and the potential ecological risk index (PERI). The average concentrations of Pb, Cd, and Zn were 38.2, 2.3, and 43.4 μg/g, respectively. indicates the pollution of soil with Pb and Cd as opposed to Zn. shows that the roadside soils had low risk from Pb and Zn and had considerable to high risk from Cd. Most of the samples (62%) present low PERI risk associated with metal exposure and the rest of the samples (38%) are of moderate PERI. The bioavailable fraction (EDTA-Extract) was 72.5 and 37.5% for Pb and Cd contents, respectively. These results indicate the remarkable effect of vehicular and agricultural activities on Pb and Cd contents in soil.