- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Molecular Imaging
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 356730, 6 pages
FDG-PET Quantification of Lung Inflammation with Image-Derived Blood Input Function in Mice
1Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
2Department of Physics, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
3Department of Radiology and Medical Imaging, The University of VA, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
4Department of Pediatrics, The University of VA, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Received 17 June 2011; Revised 14 September 2011; Accepted 17 September 2011
Academic Editor: Adriaan Anthonius Lammertsma
Copyright © 2011 Landon W. Locke et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. A. Jones, J. B. Schofield, T. Krausz, A. R. Boobis, and C. Haslett, “Pulmonary fibrosis correlates with duration of tissue neutrophil activation,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 620–628, 1998.
- W. Hartwig, E. A. Carter, R. E. Jimenez et al., “Neutrophil metabolic activity but not neutrophil sequestration reflects the development of pancreatitis-associated lung injury,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 2075–2082, 2002.
- L. W. Locke, M. D. Chordia, Y. Zhang et al., “A novel neutrophil-specific PET imaging agent: cFLFLFK-PEG-64Cu,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 790–797, 2009.
- M. L. Thakur, J. P. Lavender, R. N. Arnot, D. J. Silvester, and A. W. Segal, “Indium-111-labeled autologous leukocytes in man,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1014–1021, 1977.
- H. A. Jones, S. Sriskandan, A. M. Peters et al., “Dissociation of neutrophil emigration and metabolic activity in lobar pneumonia and bronchiectasis,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 795–803, 1997.
- L. Hansson, T. Ohlsson, S. Valind et al., “Glucose utilisation in the lungs of septic rats,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1340–1344, 1999.
- H. A. Jones, R. J. Clark, C. G. Rhodes, J. B. Schofield, T. Krausz, and C. Haslett, “In vivo measurement of neutrophil activity in experimental lung inflammation,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 1635–1639, 1994.
- D. P. Schuster, J. Kozlowski, L. Hogue, and T. W. Ferkol, “Imaging lung inflammation in a murine model of Pseudomonas infection: a positron emission tomography study,” Experimental Lung Research, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 45–57, 2003.
- Z. Zhou, J. Kozlowski, A. L. Goodrich, N. Markman, D. L. Chen, and D. P. Schuster, “Molecular imaging of lung glucose uptake after endotoxin in mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 289, no. 5, pp. L760–L768, 2005.
- M. N. Tantawy and T. E. Peterson, “Simplified [18F]FDG image-derived input function using the left ventricle, liver, and one venous blood sample,” Molecular Imaging, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 76–86, 2010.
- Y. H. D. Fang and R. F. Muzic, “Spillover and partial-volume correction for image-derived input functions for small-animal 18F-FDG PET studies,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 606–614, 2008.
- X. Zheng, G. Tian, S.-C. Huang, and D. Feng, “A hybrid clustering method for ROI delineation in small-animal dynamic PET images: application to the automatic estimation of FDG input functions,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 195–205, 2011.
- J. Kim, P. Herrero, T. Sharp et al., “Minimally invasive method of determining blood input function from PET images in rodents,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 330–336, 2006.
- H. M. Wu, G. Sui, C. C. Lee et al., “In vivo quantitation of glucose metabolism in mice using small-animal PET and a microfluidic device,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 837–845, 2007.
- S. C. Huang, H. M. Wu, K. Shoghi-Jadid et al., “Investigation of a new input function validation approach for dynamic mouse microPET studies,” Molecular Imaging and Biology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 34–46, 2004.
- G. Z. Ferl, X. Zhang, H. M. Wu, and S. C. Huang, “Estimation of the 18F-FDG input function in mice by use of dynamic small-animal PET and minimal blood sample data,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2037–2045, 2007.
- R. Laforest, T. L. Sharp, J. A. Engelbach et al., “Measurement of input functions in rodents: challenges and solutions,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 679–685, 2005.
- L. W. Locke, S. S. Berr, and B. K. Kundu, “Image-derived input function from cardiac gated maximum a posteriori reconstructed PET images in mice,” Molecular Imaging and Biology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 342–347, 2011.
- A. Stolin, D. Pole, R. Wojcik, and M. B. Williams, “Dual-modality scanner for small animal imaging,” in IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, pp. 2403–2407, San Diego, Calif, USA, November 2006.
- P. L. Chow, F. R. Rannou, and A. F. Chatziioannou, “Attenuation correction for small animal PET tomographs,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1837–1850, 2005.
- J. Qi, R. M. Leahy, S. R. Cherry, A. Chatziioannou, and T. H. Farquhar, “High-resolution 3D bayesian image reconstruction using the microPET small-animal scanner,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1001–1013, 1998.
- L. G. Strauss, A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, and U. Haberkorn, “Shortened PET data acquisition protocol for the quantification of 18F-FDG kinetics,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1933–1939, 2003.
- M. E. Phelps, S. C. Huang, and E. J. Hoffman, “Tomographic measurement of local cerebral glucose metabolic rate in humans with (F-18)2-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose: validation of method,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 371–388, 1979.
- C. S. Patlak, R. G. Blasberg, and J. D. Fenstermacher, “Graphical evaluation of blood-to-brain transfer constants from multiple-time uptake data,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1983.