- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Peptides
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 594723, 7 pages
Structural and Functional Consequences Induced by Post-Translational Modifications in α-Defensins
1School of Biosciences and Biotechnologies, University of Camerino, Gentile III da Varano Street, 62032 Camerino, Italy
2Department of Chemistry, University of Siena, 53100 Siena, Italy
3Research Center, http://dx.doi.org/10.13039/100004336 Novartis, Fiorentina 1 Street, 53100 Siena, Italy
4Department of Evolutionary Biology, University of Siena, 53100 Siena, Italy
Received 3 April 2011; Accepted 22 May 2011
Academic Editor: Peter Bergman
Copyright © 2011 Enrico Balducci et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. I. Lehrer, A. K. Lichtenstein, and T. Ganz, “Defensins: antimicrobial and cytotoxic peptides of mammalian cells,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 11, pp. 105–128, 1993.
- F. G. Oppenheim, T. Xu, F. M. McMillian et al., “Histatins, a novel family of histidine-rich proteins in human parotid secretion. Isolation, characterization, primary structure, and fungistatic effects on Candida albicans,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 263, no. 16, pp. 7472–7477, 1988.
- B. Schittek, R. Hipfel, B. Sauer et al., “Dermcidin: a novel human antibiotic peptide secreted by sweat glands,” Nature Immunology, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 1133–1137, 2001.
- S. V. Peña, D. A. Hanson, B. A. Carr, T. J. Goralski, and A. M. Krensky, “Processing, subcellular localization, and function of 519 (granulysin), a human late T cell activation molecule with homology to small, lytic, granule proteins,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 158, no. 6, pp. 2680–2688, 1997.
- K. W. Bensch, M. Raida, H. J. Magert, P. Schulz-Knappe, and W. G. Forssmann, “hBD-1: a novel β-defensin from human plasma,” FEBS Letters, vol. 368, no. 2, pp. 331–335, 1995.
- J. Harder, J. Bartels, E. Christophers, and J. M. Schröder, “Isolation and characterization of human β-defensin-3, a novel human inducible peptide antibiotic,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 8, pp. 5707–5713, 2001.
- J. Harder, J. Bartels, E. Christophers, and J. M. Schroder, “A peptide antibiotic from human skin,” Nature, vol. 387, no. 6636, p. 861, 1997.
- L. Eckmann, “Defence molecules in intestinal innate immunity against bacterial infections,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 147–151, 2005.
- R. I. Lehrer and T. Ganz, “Cathelicidins: a family of endogenous antimicrobial peptides,” Current Opinion in Hematology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 18–22, 2002.
- G. Paone, L. A. Stevens, R. L. Levine et al., “ADP-ribosyltransferase-specific modification of human neutrophil peptide-1,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 25, pp. 17054–17060, 2006.
- K. Ueda and O. Hayaishi, “ADP-ribosylation,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 54, pp. 73–100, 1985.
- K. A. Wreggett, “Bacterial toxins and the role of ADP-ribosylation,” Journal of Receptor Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 95–126, 1986.
- S. S. Lahiri, “Bacterial toxins—an overview,” Journal of Natural Toxins, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 381–408, 2000.
- M. J. Pallen, A. C. Lam, N. J. Loman, and A. McBride, “An abundance of bacterial ADP-ribosyltransferases—Implications for the origin of exotoxins and their human homologues,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 302–308, 2001.
- I. J. Okazaki, H. J. Kim, and J. Moss, “Cloning and characterization of a novel membrane-associated lymphocyte NAD:arginine ADP-ribosyltransferase,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 36, pp. 22052–22057, 1996.
- I. J. Okazaki and J. Moss, “Characterization of glycosylphosphatidylinositiol-anchored, secreted, and intracellular vertebrate mono-ADP-ribosyltransferases,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 19, pp. 485–509, 1999.
- A. G. Ladurner, “Inactivating chromosomes: a macro domain that minimizes transcription,” Molecular Cell, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 2003.
- E. Balducci, K. Horiba, J. Usuki, M. Park, V. J. Ferrans, and J. Moss, “Selective expression of RT6 superfamily in human bronchial epithelial cells,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 337–346, 1999.
- J. Ashitani, H. Mukae, M. Nakazato et al., “Elevated concentrations of defensins in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in diffuse panbronchiolitis,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 104–111, 1998.
- H. Steiner, D. Hultmark, and A. Engstrom, “Sequence and specificity of two antibacterial proteins involved in insect immunity,” Nature, vol. 292, no. 5820, pp. 246–248, 1981.
- W. Meyer-Glauner, E. Bernard, D. Armstrong, and B. Merrifield, “The antifungal activity of carrier peptides, L-arginyl-X-L-phenylalanine, containing amino acid antagonists or atypical non-biogenic D-amino acids in the central position,” Zentralblatt fur Bakteriologie Mikrobiologie und Hygiene A, vol. 252, no. 2, pp. 274–278, 1982.
- Z. Oren, J. Hong, and Y. Shai, “A repertoire of novel antibacterial diastereomeric peptides with selective cytolytic activity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 23, pp. 14643–14649, 1997.
- G. Paone, A. Wada, L. A. Stevens et al., “ADP ribosylation of human neutrophil peptide-1 regulates its biological properties,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 8231–8235, 2002.
- G. Zou, E. De Leeuw, C. Li et al., “Toward understanding the cationicity of defensins: arg and Lys versus their noncoded analogs,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 27, pp. 19653–19665, 2007.
- E. de Leeuw, M. Rajabi, G. Zou, M. Pazgier, and W. Lu, “Selective arginines are important for the antibacterial activity and host cell interaction of human α-defensin 5,” FEBS Letters, vol. 583, no. 15, pp. 2507–2512, 2009.
- K. Rikova, A. Guo, Q. Zeng et al., “Global survey of phosphotyrosine signaling identifies oncogenic kinases in lung cancer,” Cell, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 1190–1203, 2007.
- S. V. Kharadia and D. J. Graves, “Relationship of phosphorylation and ADP-ribosylation using a synthetic peptide as a model substrate,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 262, no. 36, pp. 17379–17383, 1987.
- L. A. Stevens, R. L. Levine, B. R. Gochuico, and J. Moss, “ADP-ribosylation of human defensin HNP-1 results in the replacement of the modified arginine with the noncoded amino acid ornithine,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 47, pp. 19796–19800, 2009.
- J. Moss, S. C. Tsai, R. Adamik, H. C. Chen, and S. J. Stanley, “Purification and characterization of ADP-ribosylarginine hydrolase from Turkey erythrocytes,” Biochemistry, vol. 27, no. 15, pp. 5819–5823, 1988.
- A. Zolkiewska and J. Moss, “Processing of ADP-ribosylated integrin α7 in skeletal muscle myotubes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 16, pp. 9227–9233, 1995.
- D. M. E. Bowdish, D. J. Davidson, and R. E. W. Hancock, “A re-evaluation of the role of host defence peptides in mammalian immunity,” Current Protein and Peptide Science, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 35–51, 2005.
- H. Osago, M. Terashima, N. Hara, K. Yamada, and M. Tsuchiya, “A new detection method for arginine-specific ADP-ribosylation of protein—a combinational use of anti-ADP-ribosylarginine antibody and ADP-ribosylarginine hydrolase,” Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 1014–1019, 2008.
- P. M. Moyle and T. W. Muir, “Method for the synthesis of mono-ADP-ribose conjugated peptides,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 45, pp. 15878–15880, 2010.
- G. J. Van Der Heden Van Noort, M. G. Van Der Horst, H. S. Overkleeft, G. A. Van Der Marel, and D. V. Filippov, “Synthesis of mono-ADP-ribosylated oligopeptides using ribosylated amino acid building blocks,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 14, pp. 5236–5240, 2010.