Andrew Jack, Mihail Zervos, "A singular control problem with an expected and a pathwise ergodic performance criterion", International Journal of Stochastic Analysis, vol. 2006, Article ID 082538, 19 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/JAMSA/2006/82538
A singular control problem with an expected and a pathwise ergodic performance criterion
We consider the problem of controlling a general one-dimensional Itô diffusion by means of a finite-variation process. The objective is to minimise a long-term average expected criterion as well as a long-term pathwise criterion that penalise deviations of the underlying state process from a given nominal point as well as the expenditure of control effort. We solve the resulting singular stochastic control problems under general assumptions by identifying an optimal strategy that is explicitly characterised.
- J. Bather and H. Chernoff, “Sequential decisions in the control of a spaceship,” in Proceedings of Fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability (Berkeley, Calif., 1965/1966), Vol. III: Physical Sciences, pp. 181–207, University of California Press, California, 1967.
- V. E. Beneš, L. A. Shepp, and H. S. Witsenhausen, “Some solvable stochastic control problems,” Stochastics and Stochastics Reports, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 39–83, 1980.
- P. L. Chow, J.-L. Menaldi, and M. Robin, “Additive control of stochastic linear systems with finite horizon,” SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 858–899, 1985.
- P. Dai Pra, G. B. Di Masi, and B. Trivellato, “Pathwise optimality in stochastic control,” SIAM Journal of Control and Optimization, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1540–1557, 2000.
- P. Dai Pra, W. J. Runggaldier, and M. Tolotti, “Pathwise optimality for benchmark tracking,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 386–395, 2004.
- M. H. A. Davis and M. Zervos, “A pair of explicitly solvable singular stochastic control problems,” Applied Mathematics and Optimization, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 327–352, 1998.
- W. H. Fleming and H. M. Soner, Controlled Markov Processes and Viscosity Solutions, vol. 25 of Applications of Mathematics (New York), Springer, New York, 1993.
- J. M. Harrison and M. I. Taksar, “Instantaneous control of Brownian motion,” Mathematics of Operations Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 439–453, 1983.
- I. Karatzas, “A class of singular stochastic control problems,” Advances in Applied Probability, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 225–254, 1983.
- I. Karatzas and S. E. Shreve, Brownian Motion and Stochastic Calculus, vol. 113 of Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Springer, New York, 1988.
- J. Ma, “On the principle of smooth fit for a class of singular stochastic control problems for diffusions,” SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 975–999, 1992.
- J.-L. Menaldi and M. Robin, “Some singular control problem with long term average criterion,” in System Modelling and Optimization (Copenhagen, 1983), vol. 59 of Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, pp. 424–432, Springer, Berlin, 1984.
- È. Presman, V. I. Rotar, and M. Taksar, “Optimality in probability and almost surely. The general scheme and a linear regulator problem,” Stochastics and Stochastics Reports, vol. 43, no. 3-4, pp. 127–137, 1993.
- D. Revuz and M. Yor, Continuous Martingales and Brownian Motion, vol. 293 of Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences, Springer, Berlin, 2nd edition, 1994.
- V. I. Rotar, “Connectivity property and optimality almost surely and in probability,” in New Trends in Probability and Statistics, Vol. 1 (Bakuriani, 1990), pp. 528–539, VSP, Utrecht, 1991.
- W. Schmidt, “On stochastic differential equations with reflecting barriers,” Mathematische Nachrichten, vol. 142, pp. 135–148, 1989.
- S. E. Shreve, J. P. Lehoczky, and D. P. Gaver, “Optimal consumption for general diffusions with absorbing and reflecting barriers,” SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 55–75, 1984.
- H. M. Soner and S. E. Shreve, “Regularity of the value function for a two-dimensional singular stochastic control problem,” SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 876–907, 1989.
- M. Sun, “Singular control problems in bounded intervals,” Stochastics and Stochastics Reports, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 303–344, 1987.
- A. P. N. Weerasinghe, “Stationary stochastic control for Itô processes,” Advances in Applied Probability, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 128–140, 2002.
- H. Zhu, “Generalized solution in singular stochastic control: the nondegenerate problem,” Applied Mathematics and Optimization, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 225–245, 1992.
Copyright © 2006 Andrew Jack and Mihail Zervos. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.