- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 263139, 10 pages
The Use of Ketogenic Diet in Pediatric Patients with Epilepsy
Department of Pharmacy, Moses H. Cone Hospital, Greensboro, NC 27401-1020, USA
Received 30 March 2012; Accepted 19 June 2012
Academic Editors: M. Adhikari, G. Dimitriou, and Y. Ersahin
Copyright © 2012 Amanda Misiewicz Runyon and Tsz-Yin So. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. L. Hartman and E. P. Vining, “Clinical aspects of the ketogenic diet,” Epilepsia, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 31–42, 2007.
- P. Kwan and M. J. Brodie, “Effectiveness of first antiepileptic drug,” Epilepsia, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1255–1260, 2001.
- E. H. Kossoff, B. A. Zupec-Kania, P. E. Amark et al., “Optimal clinical management of children receiving the ketogenic diet: recommendations of the International Ketogenic Diet Study Group,” Epilepsia, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 304–317, 2009.
- E. F. Hobdell and L. Tonyes, “Diets for epilepsy,” Touch Briefings: US Pediatric Review, vol. 2, pp. 45–46, 2007.
- C. K. Taketomo, J. H. Hodding, and D. M. Kraus, Pediatric Dosage Handbook, Lexi-Comp, Hudson, Ohio, USA, 17th edition, 2010.
- C. B. Henderson, F. M. Filloux, S. C. Alder, J. L. Lyon, and D. A. Caplin, “Efficacy of the ketogenic diet as a treatment option for epilepsy: meta-analysis,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 193–198, 2006.
- E. G. Neal, H. Chaffe, R. H. Schwartz et al., “The ketogenic diet for the treatment of childhood epilepsy: a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 500–506, 2008.
- E. H. Kossoff, B. A. Zupec-Kania, and J. M. Rho, “Ketogenic diets: an update for child neurologists,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 979–988, 2009.
- P. F. Morrison, P. L. Pyzik, R. Hamdy, A. L. Hartman, and E. H. Kossoff, “The influence of concurrent anticonvulsants on the efficacy of the ketogenic diet,” Epilepsia, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1999–2001, 2009.
- M. Takeoka, J. J. Riviello Jr., H. Pfeifer, and E. A. Thiele, “Concomitant treatment with topiramate and ketogenic diet in pediatric epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1072–1075, 2002.
- D. Lebel, C. Morin, M. Laberge, N. Achim, and L. Carmant, “The carbohydrate and caloric content of concomitant medications for children with epilepsy on the ketogenic diet,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 322–340, 2001.