- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 536209, 7 pages
FDTD Modeling of a Cloak with a Nondiagonal Permittivity Tensor
Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
Received 13 February 2012; Accepted 27 March 2012
Academic Editors: A. Danner, M. Midrio, and A. Tervonen
Copyright © 2012 Naoki Okada and James B. Cole. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Pendry, D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, “Controlling electromagnetic fields,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5781, pp. 1780–1782, 2006.
- M. Rahm, D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, “Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of maxwell's equations,” Photonics and Nanostructures Fundamentals and Applications, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 87–95, 2007.
- H. Chen and C. T. Chan, “Transformation media that rotate electromagnetic fields,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 24, Article ID 241105, 2007.
- D. H. Kwon and D. H. Werner, “Polarization splitter and polarization rotator designs based on transformation optics,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 23, pp. 18731–18738, 2008.
- Y. Luo, J. Zhang, B. I. Wu, and H. Chen, “Interaction of an electromagnetic wave with a cone-shaped invisibility cloak and polarization rotator,” Physical Review B, vol. 78, no. 12, Article ID 125108, 2008.
- T. Zhai, Y. Zhou, J. Zhou, and D. Liu, “Polarization controller based on embedded optical transformation,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 17206–17213, 2009.
- M. Rahm, D. A. Roberts, J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, “Transformation-optical design of adaptive beam bends and beam expanders,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 15, pp. 11555–11567, 2008.
- M. Rahm, S. A. Cummer, D. Schurig, J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, “Optical design of reflectionless complex media by finite embedded coordinate transformations,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, no. 6, Article ID 063903, 2008.
- L. Lan, W. Wei, C. Jianhua, D. Chunlei, and L. Xiangang, “Design of electromagnetic refractor and phase transformer using coordinate transformation theory,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 6815–6821, 2008.
- S. Han, Y. Xiong, D. Genov, Z. Liu, G. Bartal, and X. Zhang, “Ray optics at a deep-subwavelength scale: a transformation optics approach,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 4243–4247, 2008.
- D. H. Kwon and D. H. Werner, “Transformation optical designs for wave collimators, flat lenses and right-angle bends,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 10, Article ID 115023, 2008.
- W. X. Jiang, T. J. Cui, G. X. Yu, X. Q. Lin, Q. Cheng, and J. Y. Chin, “Cylindrical-to-plane-wave conver,” Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 26, Article ID 261903, 2008.
- Y. Lai, J. Ng, H. Chen et al., “Illusion optics: the optical transformation of an object into another object,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, no. 25, Article ID 253902, 2009.
- W. X. Jiang and T. J. Cui, “Moving targets virtually via composite optical transformation,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 5161–5167, 2010.
- H. Chen, C. T. Chan, and P. Sheng, “Transformation optics and metamaterials,” Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 387–396, 2010.
- E. E. Narimanov and A. V. Kildishev, “Optical black hole: broadband omnidirectional light absorber,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, no. 4, Article ID 041106, 2009.
- D. A. Genov, S. Zhang, and X. Zhang, “Mimicking celestial mechanics in metamaterials,” Nature Physics, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 687–692, 2009.
- D. Schurig, J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice et al., “Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5801, pp. 977–980, 2006.
- B. Kanté, D. Germain, and A. De Lustrac, “Experimental demonstration of a nonmagnetic metamaterial cloak at microwave frequencies,” Physical Review B, vol. 80, no. 20, Article ID 201104, 2009.
- R. Liu, C. Ji, J. J. Mock, J. Y. Chin, T. J. Cui, and D. R. Smith, “Broadband ground-plane cloak,” Science, vol. 323, no. 5912, pp. 366–369, 2009.
- Y. G. Ma, C. K. Ong, T. Tyc, and U. Leonhardt, “An omnidirectional retroreflector based on the transmutation of dielectric singularities,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 639–642, 2009.
- H. F. Ma and T. J. Cui, “Three-dimensional broadband ground-plane cloak made of metamaterials,” Nature Communications, vol. 1, article 21, 2010.
- T. Ergin, N. Stenger, P. Brenner, J. B. Pendry, and M. Wegener, “Three-dimensional invisibility cloak at optical wavelengths,” Science, vol. 328, no. 5976, pp. 337–339, 2010.
- X. Chen, Y. Luo, J. Zhang, K. Jiang, J. B. Pendry, and S. Zhang, “Macroscopic invisibility cloaking of visible light,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, article 176, 2011.
- J. Zhang, L. Liu, Y. Luo, S. Zhang, and N. A. Mortensen, “Homogeneous optical cloak constructed with uniform layered structures,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 8625–8631, 2011.
- K. Yee, “Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving maxwell's equations in isotropic media,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 302–307, 1966.
- A. Taflove and M. E. Brodwin, “Numerical solution of steady-state electromagnetic scattering problems using the time-dependent maxwell's equations,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 623–630, 1975.
- A. Taflove, “Application of the finite-difference time-domain method to sinusoidal steady-state electromagnetic-penetration problems,” IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 191–202, 1980.
- A. Taflove and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 3rd edition, 2005.
- E. Kallos, C. Argyropoulos, and Y. Hao, “Ground-plane quasicloaking for free space,” Physical Review A, vol. 79, no. 6, Article ID 063825, 2009.
- Y. Zhao, C. Argyropoulos, and Y. Hao, “Full-wave finite-difference time-domain simulation of electromagnetic cloaking structures,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 6717–6730, 2008.
- Y. Hao and R. Mittra, FDTD Modeling of Metamaterials: Theory and Applications, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 1st edition, 2008.
- J. A. Silva-Macědo, M. A. Romero, and B. H. V. Borges, “An extended FDTD method for the analysis of electromagnetic field rotations and cloaking devices,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 87, pp. 183–196, 2008.
- C. Argyropoulos, Y. Zhao, and Y. Hao, “A radially-dependent dispersive finite-difference time-domain method for the evaluation of electromagnetic cloaks,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1432–1441, 2009.
- C. Argyropoulos, E. Kallos, Y. Zhao, and Y. Hao, “Manipulating the loss in electromagnetic cloaks for perfect wave absorption,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 8467–8475, 2009.
- C. Argyropoulos, E. Kallos, and Y. Hao, “Dispersive cylindrical cloaks under nonmonochromatic illumination,” Physical Review E, vol. 81, no. 1, Article ID 016611, 2010.
- C. Argyropoulos, E. Kallos, and Y. Hao, “FDTD analysis of the optical black hole,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2020–2025, 2010.
- C. Argyropoulos, E. Kallos, and Y. Hao, “Bandwidth evaluation of dispersive transformation electromagnetics based devices,” Applied Physics A, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 715–719, 2011.
- U. Leonhardt and T. G. Philbin, “Chapter 2 transformation optics and the geometry of light,” Progress in Optics, vol. 53, pp. 69–152, 2009.
- J. A. Pereda, L. A. Vielva, A. Vegas, and A. Prieto, “Analyzingthe stability of the FDTD technique by combining the von neumann method with the Routh-Hurwitz criterion,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 377–381, 2001.
- G. V. Eleftheriades and K. G. Balmain, Negative Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 2005.
- S. A. Tretyakov and S. I. Maslovski, “Veselago materials: what is possible and impossible about the dispersion of the constitutive parameters,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2007.
- P. Yao, Z. Liang, and X. Jiang, “Limitation of the electromagnetic cloak with dispersive material,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 3, Article ID 031111, 2008.
- Z. Lin and L. Thylén, “On the accuracy and stability of several widely used FDTD approaches for modeling lorentz dielectrics,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 3378–3381, 2009.
- H. Ma, S. Qu, Z. Xu, J. Zhang, B. Chen, and J. Wang, “Material parameter equation for elliptical cylindrical cloaks,” Physical Review A, vol. 77, no. 1, Article ID 013825, 2008.
- E. Cojocaru, “Exact analytical approaches for elliptic cylindrical invisibility cloaks,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1119–1128, 2009.
- W. X. Jiang, T. J. Cui, G. X. Yu, X. Q. Lin, Q. Cheng, and J. Y. Chin, “Arbitrarily elliptical-cylindrical invisible cloaking,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 41, no. 8, Article ID 085504, 2008.
- T. J. Cui, D. R. Smith, and R. Liu, Metamaterials: Theory, Design, and Applications, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 2009.
- F. B. Hildebrand, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1987.
- Y. Zhao, P. A. Belov, and Y. Hao, “Modelling of wave propagation in wire media using spatially dispersive finite-difference time-domain method: numerical aspects,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation I, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1506–1513, 2007.
- K. S. Kunz and R. J. Luebbers, The Finite Difference Time Domain Method for Electromagnetics, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1993.