- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 691561, 9 pages
Predictors of Prolonged Stay in the Intensive Care Unit following Cardiac Surgery
1Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit, “Evangelismos” General Hospital of Athens, 45-47 Ipsilantou Street, 10676 Athens, Greece
2Faculty of Nursing, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 123 Papadiamantopoulou Street, 11527 Athens, Greece
3Centre for Health Services Management and Evaluation, Faculty of Nursing, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 123 Papadiamantopoulou Street, 11527 Athens, Greece
4First Cardiothoracic Surgery Department, “Evangelismos” General Hospital of Athens, 45-47 Ipsilantou Street, 10676 Athens, Greece
Received 15 March 2012; Accepted 3 May 2012
Academic Editors: P. R. Gibson, I. A. C. Mendes, and B. Roberts
Copyright © 2012 Rokeia Eltheni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. V. Ghotkar, A. D. Grayson, B. M. Fabri, W. C. Dihmis, and D. M. Pullan, “Preoperative calculation of risk for prolonged intensive care unit stay following coronary artery bypass grafting,” Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, vol. 1, no. 1, article 14, 2006.
- M. Ranucci, C. Bellucci, D. Conti, A. Cazzaniga, and B. Maugeri, “Determinants of early discharge from the intensive care unit after cardiac operations,” The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 1089–1095, 2007.
- K. Giakoumidakis, G. I. Baltopoulos, C. Charitos, E. Patelarou, P. Galanis, and H. Brokalaki, “Risk factors for prolonged stay in cardiac surgery intensive care units,” Nursing in Critical Care, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 243–251, 2011.
- G. Johnston, J. R. Goss, J. A. Malmgren, and J. A. Spertus, “Health status and social risk correlates of extended length of stay following coronary artery bypass surgery,” The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 557–562, 2004.
- Q. Lei, L. Chen, M. Jin et al., “Preoperative and intraoperative risk factors for prolonged intensive care unit stay after aortic arch surgery,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 789–794, 2009.
- R. G. A. Ettema, L. M. Peelen, M. J. Schuurmans, A. P. Nierich, C. J. Kalkman, and K. G. M. Moons, “Prediction models for prolonged intensive care unit stay after cardiac surgery: systematic review and validation study,” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 7, pp. 682–689, 2010.
- I. K. Toumpoulis, C. E. Anagnostopoulos, D. G. Swistel, and J. J. Derose, “Does EuroSCORE predict length of stay and specific postoperative complications after cardiac surgery?” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 2005.
- F. Roques, P. Michel, A. R. Goldstone, and S. A. M. Nashef, “The logistic EuroSCORE,” European Heart Journal, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 881–882, 2003.
- S. A. M. Nashef, F. Roques, P. Michel, E. Gauducheau, S. Lemeshow, and R. Salamon, “European system for cardiac operative risk evaluation (EuroSCORE),” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 9–13, 1999.
- N. Messaoudi, J. De Cocker, B. A. Stockman, L. L. Bossaert, and I. E. R. Rodrigus, “Is EuroSCORE useful in the prediction of extended intensive care unit stay after cardiac surgery?” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2009.
- C. Herman, W. Karolak, A. M. Yip, K. J. Buth, A. Hassan, and J. F. Légarè, “Predicting prolonged intensive care unit length of stay in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery—development of an entirely preoperative scorecard,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 654–658, 2009.
- R. Atoui, F. Ma, Y. Langlois, and J. F. Morin, “Risk factors for prolonged stay in the intensive care unit and on the ward after cardiac surgery,” Journal of Cardiac Surgery, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 2008.
- J. Bucerius, J. F. Gummert, T. Walther et al., “Predictors of prolonged ICU stay after on-pump versus off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 2004.
- D. T. Wong, D. C. H. Cheng, R. Kustra et al., “Risk factors of delayed extubation, prolonged length of stay in the intensive care unit, and mortality in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft with fast-track cardiac anesthesia: a new cardiac risk score,” Anesthesiology, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 936–944, 1999.
- R. J. Anderson, M. O'Brien, S. MaWhinney et al., “Renal failure predisposes patients to adverse outcome after coronary artery bypass surgery,” Kidney International, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 1057–1062, 1999.
- J. Ibáñez, M. Riera, J. I. S. De Ibarra et al., “Effect of preoperative mild renal dysfunction on mortality and morbidity following valve cardiac surgery,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 748–752, 2007.
- J. Litmathe, M. Kurt, P. Feindt, E. Gams, and U. Boeken, “The impact of pre- and postoperative renal dysfunction on outcome of patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG),” Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 460–463, 2009.
- R. Zakeri, N. Freemantle, V. Barnett et al., “Relation between mild renal dysfunction and outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 9, pp. I270–I275, 2005.
- D. P. B. Janssen, L. Noyez, C. Wouters, and R. M. H. J. Brouwer, “Preoperative prediction of prolonged stay in the intensive care unit for coronary bypass surgery,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 203–207, 2004.
- L. Abrahamyan, A. Demirchyan, M. E. Thompson, and H. Hovaguimian, “Determinants of morbidity and intensive care unit stay after coronary surgery,” Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 114–118, 2006.
- M. Banach, G. Mariscalco, M. Ugurlucan, D. P. Mikhailidis, M. Barylski, and J. Rysz, “The significance of preoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: preoperative atrial fibrillation—still underestimated opponent,” Europace, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1266–1270, 2008.
- M. Banach, A. Goch, M. Misztal et al., “Relation between postoperative mortality and atrial fibrillation before surgical revascularization—3-year follow-up,” Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 20–23, 2008.
- K. Bando, H. Kasegawa, Y. Okada et al., “Impact of preoperative and postoperative atrial fibrillation on outcome after mitral valvuloplasty for nonischemic mitral regurgitation,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 129, no. 5, pp. 1032–1040, 2005.
- M. Banach, J. Rysz, J. Drozdz et al., “Risk factors of atrial fibrillation following coronary artery bypass grafting—a preliminary report,” Circulation Journal, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 438–441, 2006.
- J. Kazmierski, M. Kowman, M. Banach et al., “Preoperative predictors of delirium after cardiac surgery: a preliminary study,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 536–538, 2006.
- J. Nilsson, L. Algotsson, P. Höglund, C. Lührs, and J. Brandt, “EuroSCORE predicts intensive care unit stay and costs of open heart surgery,” The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 1528–1534, 2004.
- H. Hirose, H. Inaba, C. Noguchi et al., “EuroSCORE predicts postoperative mortality, certain morbidities, and recovery time,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 613–617, 2009.
- L. V. Doering, F. Esmailian, F. Imperial-Perez, and S. Monsein, “Determinants of intensive care unit length of stay after coronary artery graft surgery,” Heart and Lung, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2001.
- A. Ouattara, P. Lecomte, Y. Le Manach et al., “Poor intraoperative blood glucose control is associated with a worsened hospital outcome after cardiac surgery in diabetic patients,” Anesthesiology, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 687–694, 2005.
- J. S. Krinsley, “Effect of an intensive glucose management protocol on the mortality of critically Ill adult patients,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 992–1000, 2004.
- A. P. Furnary, G. Gao, G. L. Grunkemeier et al., “Continuous insulin infusion reduces mortality in patients with diabetes undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1007–1021, 2003.
- H. L. Lazar, S. R. Chipkin, C. A. Fitzgerald, Y. Bao, H. Cabral, and C. S. Apstein, “Tight glycemic control in diabetic coronary artery bypass graft patients improves perioperative outcomes and decreases recurrent ischemic events,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 12, pp. 1497–1502, 2004.
- C. D'Alessandro, P. Leprince, J. L. Golmard et al., “Strict glycemic control reduces EuroSCORE expected mortality in diabetic patients undergoing myocardial revascularization,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 2007.
- T. S. J. Shine, M. Uchikado, C. C. Crawford, and M. J. Murray, “Importance of perioperative blood glucose management in cardiac surgical patients,” Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 534–538, 2007.
- P. Lecomte, B. Van Vlem, J. Coddens et al., “Tight perioperative glucose control is associated with a reduction in renal impairment and renal failure in non-diabetic cardiac surgical patients,” Critical Care, vol. 12, no. 6, article R154, 2008.
- G. Y. Gandhi, G. A. Nuttall, M. D. Abel et al., “Intensive intraoperative insulin therapy versus conventional glucose management during cardiac surgery: a randomized trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 233–243, 2007.
- M. Reyes, L. Jensen, J. Stewart, and W. T. Kidd, “Glycemic control in diabetic and non-diabetic cardiac surgical patients and length of hospital stay,” Dynamics, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 18–24, 2008.
- R. P. C. Chan, F. R. B. G. Galas, L. A. Hajjar, C. N. Bello, M. A. Piccioni, and J. O. C. Auler Jr., “Intensive perioperative glucose control does not improve outcomes of patients submitted to open-heart surgery: a randomized controlled trial,” Clinics, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2009.
- K. K. Haga, K. L. McClymont, S. Clarke et al., “The effect of tight glycaemic control, during and after cardiac surgery, on patient mortality and morbidity: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, vol. 6, no. 1, article 3, 2011.
- K. Giakoumidakis, I. Nenekidis, and H. Brokalaki, “The correlation between peri-operative hyperglycemia and mortality in cardiac surgery patients: a systematic review,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 105–113, 2012.