- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 765380, 8 pages
High Dose Infliximab in the Treatment of Refractory Uveitis: Does Dose Matter?
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Received 8 September 2011; Accepted 3 October 2011
Academic Editor: C. J. Chen
Copyright © 2012 Sukesh Sukumaran et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. T. Cunningham, “Uveitis in children,” Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 251–261, 2000.
- A. Reiff, “Ocular complications of childhood rheumatic diseases: uveitis,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 459–468, 2006.
- S. M. Thadani and C. S. Foster, “Treatment of ocular inflammation in children,” Pediatric Drugs, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 289–301, 2004.
- M. Muhaya, V. L. Calder, H. M. A. Towler, G. Jolly, M. McLauchlan, and S. Lightman, “Characterization of phenotype and cytokine profiles of T cell lines derived from vitreous humour in ocular inflammation in man,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 410–414, 1999.
- V. L. Calder, B. Shaer, M. Muhaya et al., “Increased CD4+ expression and decreased IL-10 in the anterior chamber in idiopathic uveitis,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 2019–2024, 1999.
- S. Agaugué, E. Marcenaro, B. Ferranti, L. Moretta, and A. Moretta, “Human natural killer cells exposed to IL-2, IL-12, IL-18, or IL-4 differently modulate priming of naive T cells by monocyte-derived dendritic cells,” Blood, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1776–1783, 2008.
- A. Reiff, S. Takei, S. Sadeghi et al., “Etanercept therapy in children with treatment-resistant uveitis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1411–1415, 2001.
- J. C. Richards, M. L. Tay-Kearney, K. Murray, and P. Manners, “Infliximab for juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis,” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 461–468, 2005.
- J. T. Rosenbaum, E. L. Howes, R. M. Rubin, and J. R. Samples, “Ocular inflammatory effects of intravitreally-injected tumor necrosis factor,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 1988.
- A. F. De Vos, M. C. Van Haren, C. Verhagen, R. Hoekzema, and A. Kijlstra, “Tumour necrosis factor-induced uveitis in the Lewis rat is associated with intraocular interleukin 6 production,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 199–207, 1995.
- M. Santos Lacomba, C. Marcos Martin, R. Ramírcz Chamond, J. M. Gallardo Galera, M. Omar, and E. Collantes Estevez, “Aqueous and serum interferon γ, interleukin (IL) 2, IL-4, and IL-10 in patients with uveitis,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 768–772, 2000.
- R. Ehrlich, A. Harris, T. A. Ciulla, N. Kheradiya, D. M. Winston, and B. Wirostko, “Diabetic macular oedema: physical, physiological and molecular factors contribute to this pathological process,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 279–291, 2010.
- D. R. Senger, S. J. Galli, A. M. Dvorak, C. A. Perruzzi, V. Susan Harvey, and H. F. Dvorak, “Tumor cells secrete a vascular permeability factor that promotes accumulation of ascites fluid,” Science, vol. 219, no. 4587, pp. 983–985, 1983.
- H. Noma, H. Funatsu, M. Yamasaki et al., “Pathogenesis of macular edema with branch retinal vein occlusion and intraocular levels of vascular endothelial growth factor and interleukin-6,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 256–261, 2005.
- Y. El-Shabrawi, C. Livir-Rallatos, W. Christen, S. Baltatzis, and C. S. Foster, “High levels of interleukin-12 in the aqueous humor and vitreous of patients with uveitis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 1659–1663, 1998.
- J. H. De Boer, C. E. Hack, A. J. Verhoeven et al., “Chemoattractant and neutrophil degranulation activities related to interleukin-8 in vitreous fluid in uveitis and vitreoretinal disorders,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 3376–3385, 1993.
- V. L. Perez, G. N. Papaliodis, D. Chu, F. Anzaar, W. Christen, and C. S. Foster, “Elevated levels of interleukin 6 in the vitreous fluid of patients with pars planitis and posterior uveitis: the Massachusetts eye & ear experience and review of previous studies,” Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 193–201, 2004.
- W. A. Franks, G. A. Limb, M. R. Stanford et al., “Cytokines in human intraocular inflammation,” Current Eye Research, vol. 11, supplement, pp. 187–191, 1992.
- J. J. Hooks, C. C. Chan, and B. Detrick, “Identification of the lymphokines, interferon-gamma and interleukin-2, in inflammatory eye diseases,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1444–1451, 1988.
- K. Norose, A. Yano, X. C. Wang et al., “Dominance of activated T cells and interleukin-6 in aqueous humor in Vogt- Koyanagi-Harada disease,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 1994.
- K. Hamzaoui, A. Hamzaoui, F. Guemira, M. Bessioud, M. Hamza, and K. Ayed, “Cytokine profile in Behçet's disease patients: relationship with disease activity,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 205–210, 2002.
- I. Foeldvari and A. Wierk, “Methotrexate is an effective treatment for chronic uveitis associated with juvenile idiopathic arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 362–365, 2005.
- C. S. Foster, “Diagnosis and treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis,” Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 395–398, 2003.
- M. J. Lustig and E. T. Cunningham, “Use of immunosuppressive agents in uveitis,” Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 399–412, 2003.
- R. K. Saurenmann, A. V. Levin, B. M. Feldman, R. M. Laxer, R. Schneider, and E. D. Silverman, “Risk of new-onset uveitis in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis treated with anti-TNFα agents,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 833–836, 2006.
- P. Tynjälä, P. Lindahl, V. Honkanen, P. Lahdenne, and K. Kotaniemi, “Infliximab and etanercept in the treatment of chronic uveitis associated with refractory juvenile idiopathic arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 548–550, 2007.
- A. Galor, V. L. Perez, J. P. Hammel, and C. Y. Lowder, “Differential effectiveness of etanercept and infliximab in the treatment of ocular inflammation,” Ophthalmology, vol. 113, no. 12, pp. 2317–2323, 2006.
- L. B. Vazquez-Cobian, T. Flynn, and T. J. A. Lehman, “Adalimumab therapy for childhood uveitis,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 149, no. 4, pp. 572–575, 2006.
- S. Biester, C. Deuter, H. Michels et al., “Adalimumab in the therapy of uveitis in childhood,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 319–324, 2007.
- P. Kahn, M. Weiss, L. F. Imundo, and D. M. Levy, “Favorable response to high-dose infliximab for refractory childhood uveitis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 860–864, 2006.
- S. P. Ardoin, D. Kredich, E. Rabinovich, L. E. Schanberg, and G. J. Jaffe, “Infliximab to treat chronic noninfectious uveitis in children: retrospective case series with long-term follow-up,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 844–849, 2007.
- R. T. Rajaraman, Y. Kimura, S. Li, K. Haines, and D. S. Chu, “Retrospective case review of pediatric patients with uveitis treated with infliximab,” Ophthalmology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 308–314, 2006.
- S. Tognon, G. Graziani, and R. Marcolongo, “Anti-TNF-α therapy in seven patients with Behçet's uveitis: advantages and controversial aspects,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1110, pp. 474–484, 2007.
- M. Diaz-Llopis, S. García-Delpech, D. Salom et al., “High-dose infliximab prophylaxis in endotoxin-induced uveitis,” Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 343–350, 2007.
- D. A. Jabs, “Standardization of uveitis nomenclature for reporting clinical data. Results of the first international workshop,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 509–516, 2005.