- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 768794, 10 pages
Recent Developments in Home Sleep-Monitoring Devices
1Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Wang 720, Boston, MA 02114, USA
2VA Boston Healthcare System and Harvard Medical School, Brockton, MA 02301, USA
Received 22 July 2012; Accepted 13 September 2012
Academic Editors: C. G. Carlotti Jr. and H. Ovadia
Copyright © 2012 Jessica M. Kelly et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. A. Collop, S. L. Tracy, V. Kapur, et al., “Obstructive sleep apnea devices for out-of-center (OOC) testing: technology evaluation,” Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, vol. 7, pp. 531–548, 2011.
- N. A. Collop, W. M. Anderson, B. Boehlecke et al., “Clinical guidelines for the use of unattended portable monitors in the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients,” Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 737–747, 2007.
- M. Littner, C. A. Kushida, W. M. Anderson et al., “Practice parameters for the role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms: an update for 2002,” Sleep, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 337–341, 2003.
- A. Sadeh, “The role and validity of actigraphy in sleep medicine: an update,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 259–267, 2011.
- S. Ancoli-Israel, R. Cole, C. Alessi, M. Chambers, W. Moorcroft, and C. P. Pollak, “The role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms,” Sleep, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 342–392, 2003.
- A. Dittmar, F. Axisa, G. Delhomme, and C. Gehin, “New concepts and technologies in home care and ambulatory monitoring,” Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, vol. 108, pp. 9–35, 2004.
- A. T. M. Van de Water, A. Holmes, and D. A. Hurley, “Objective measurements of sleep for non-laboratory settings as alternatives to polysomnography—a systematic review,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 183–200, 2011.
- P. S. Low, S. S. Shank, T. J. Sejnowski, and D. Margoliash, “Mammalian-like features of sleep structure in zebra finches,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 26, pp. 9081–9086, 2008.
- J. R. Shambroom, S. E. Fabregas, and J. Johnstone, “Validation of an automated wireless system to monitor sleep in healthy adults,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 21, pp. 221–230, 2012.
- W. Karlen, C. Mattiussi, and D. Floreano, “Sleep and wake classification with ECG and respiratory effort signals,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 71–78, 2009.
- R. J. Thomas, J. E. Mietus, C. K. Peng, and A. L. Goldberger, “An electrocardiogram-based technique to assess cardiopulmonary coupling during sleep,” Sleep, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1151–1161, 2005.
- M. G. Terzano and L. Parrino, “Origin and significance of the cyclic alternating pattern (CAP),” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 101–123, 2000.
- R. J. Thomas, J. E. Mietus, C. K. Peng et al., “Differentiating obstructive from central and complex sleep apnea using an automated electrocardiogram-based method,” Sleep, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1756–1769, 2007.
- R. J. Thomas, M. D. Weiss, J. E. Mietus, C. K. Peng, A. L. Goldberger, and D. J. Gottlieb, “Prevalent hypertension and stroke in the sleep heart health study: association with an ECG-derived spectrographic marker of cardiopulmonary coupling,” Sleep, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 897–904, 2009.
- R. J. Thomas, J. E. Mietus, C. K. Peng, A. L. Goldberger, L. J. Crofford, and R. D. Chervin, “Impaired sleep quality in fibromyalgia: detection and quantification with ECG-based cardiopulmonary coupling spectrograms,” Sleep Medicine, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 497–498, 2010.
- A. C. Yang, C. H. Yang, C. J. Hong et al., “Sleep state instabilities in major depressive disorder: detection and quantification with electrocardiogram-based cardiopulmonary coupling analysis,” Psychophysiology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 285–291, 2011.
- T. Watanabe and K. Watanabe, “Noncontact method for sleep stage estimation,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 1735–1748, 2004.
- M. Migliorini, A. M. Bianchi, D. Nisticò et al., “Automatic sleep staging based on ballistocardiographic signals recorded through bed sensors,” Conference Proceedings IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 2010, pp. 3273–3276, 2010.
- M. O. Mendez, M. Migliorini, J. M. Kortelainen et al., “Evaluation of the sleep quality based on bed sensor signals: time-variant analysis,” Conference Proceedings IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 2010, pp. 3994–3997, 2010.
- J. M. Kortelainen, M. O. Mendez, A. M. Bianchi, M. Matteucci, and S. Cerutti, “Sleep staging based on signals acquired through bed sensor,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 776–785, 2010.
- M. T. Tuomisto, T. Terho, I. Korhonen et al., “Diurnal and weekly rhythms of health-related variables in home recordings for two months,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 650–658, 2006.
- B. H. Jansen and K. Shankar, “Sleep staging with movement-related signals,” International Journal of Bio-Medical Computing, vol. 32, no. 3-4, pp. 289–297, 1993.
- T. Salmi and L. Leinonen, “Automatic analysis of sleep records with static charge sensitive bed,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 84–87, 1986.
- T. Salmi, M. Partinen, M. Hyyppa, and E. Kronholm, “Automatic analysis of static charge sensitive bed (SCSB) recordings in the evaluation of sleep-related apneas,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 360–364, 1986.
- S. Devot, A. M. Bianchi, E. Naujokat, M. O. Mendez, A. Braurs, and S. Cerutti, “Sleep monitoring through a textile recording system,” Conference Proceedings IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 2007, pp. 2560–2563, 2007.
- P. De Chazal, N. Fox, E. O'Hare et al., “Sleep/wake measurement using a non-contact biomotion sensor,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 356–366, 2011.
- A. Zaffaroni, P. de Chazal, C. Heneghan, P. Boyle, P. R. Mppm, and W. T. McNicholas, “SleepMinder: an innovative contact-free device for the estimation of the apnoea-hypopnoea index,” Conference Proceedings IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 2009, pp. 7091–7094, 2009.
- J. L. Weber, D. Blanc, A. Dittmar et al., “Telemonitoring of vital parameters with newly designed biomedical clothing,” Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, vol. 108, pp. 260–265, 2004.
- F. H. Wilhelm, W. T. Roth, and M. A. Sackner, “The LifeShirt: an advanced system for ambulatory measurement of respiratory and cardiac function,” Behavior Modification, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 671–691, 2003.
- M. Di Rienzo, F. Rizzo, G. Parati, et al., “MagIC System: a new textile-based wearable device for biological signal monitoring. Applicability in daily life and clinical setting,” Conference Proceedings Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 7, pp. 7167–7169, 2005.
- C. Li, J. Lin, and Y. Xiao, “Robust overnight monitoring of human vital signs by a non-contact respiration and heartbeat detector,” Conference Proceedings IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 1, pp. 2235–2238, 2006.
- J. Lötjönen, I. Korhonen, K. Hirvonen, S. Eskelinen, M. Myllymäki, and M. Partinen, “Automatic sleep-wake and nap analysis with a new wrist worn online activity monitoring device vivago WristCare,” Sleep, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 86–90, 2003.
- U. Anliker, J. A. Ward, P. Lukowicz et al., “AMON: a wearable multiparameter medical monitoring and alert system,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 415–427, 2004.
- M. Pacelli, L. Caldani, and R. Paradiso, “Textile piezoresistive sensors for biomechanical variables monitoring,” Conference Proceedings IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 1, pp. 5358–5361, 2006.
- A. Mazzoldi, D. De Rossi, F. Lorussi, E. P. Scilingo, and R. Paradiso, “Smart textiles for wearable motion capture systems,” Autex Research Journal, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 199–203, 2002.
- N. K. Y. Tang and A. G. Harvey, “Altering misperception of sleep in insomnia: behavioral experiment versus verbal feedback,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 767–776, 2006.
- M. H. Silber, S. Ancoli-Israel, M. H. Bonnet et al., “The visual scoring of sleep in adults,” Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 121–131, 2007.
- M. M. Ohayon, M. A. Carskadon, C. Guilleminault, and M. V. Vitiello, “Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan,” Sleep, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1255–1273, 2004.
- R. G. Norman, M. A. Scott, I. Ayappa, J. A. Walsleben, and D. M. Rapoport, “Sleep continuity measured by survival curve analysis,” Sleep, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1625–1631, 2006.
- B. J. Swihart, B. Caffo, K. Bandeen-Roche, and N. M. Punjabi, “Characterizing sleep structure using the hypnogram,” Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 349–355, 2008.
- M. T. Bianchi, S. S. Cash, J. Mietus, C. K. Peng, and R. Thomas, “Obstructive sleep apnea alters sleep stage transition dynamics,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 6, Article ID e11356, 2010.
- R. D. Chervin, “The multiple sleep latency test and Epworth sleepiness scale in the assessment of daytime sleepiness,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 399–401, 2000.