- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 205431, 10 pages
Cytomorphological and Cytochemical Identification of Microglia
Department of Biological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research-Kolkata (IISER-K), Mohanpur Campus, P.O. BCKV Campus Main Office, Mohanpur West Bengal, Nadia, Mohanpur 741252, India
Received 7 May 2013; Accepted 18 July 2013
Academic Editors: R. El Ridi and S. M. Varga
Copyright © 2013 Subhajit Das Sarma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. D. Barron, “The microglial cell. A historical review,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 57–68, 1995.
- M. A. Cuadros and J. Navascués, “The origin and differentiation of microglial cells during development,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 173–189, 1998.
- M. A. Cuadros, A. Moujahid, A. Quesada, and J. Navascues, “Development of microglia in the quail optic tectum,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 207–224, 1994.
- D. M. Reid, V. H. Perry, P.-B. Andersson, and S. Gordon, “Mitosis and apoptosis of microglia in vivo induced by an anti-CR3 antibody which crosses the blood-brain barrier,” Neuroscience, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 529–533, 1993.
- R. B. Rock, G. Gekker, S. Hu et al., “Role of microglia in central nervous system infections,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 942–964, 2004.
- L. J. Lawson, V. H. Perry, and S. Gordon, “Turnover of resident microglia in the normal adult mouse brain,” Neuroscience, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 405–415, 1992.
- Y. Matsumoto, K. Ohmori, and M. Fujiwara, “Immune regulation by brain cells in the central nervous system: microglia but not astrocytes present myelin basic protein to encephalitogenic T cells under in vivo-mimicking conditions,” Immunology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 209–216, 1992.
- E. Lavi, D. H. Gilden, and Z. Wroblewska, “Experimental demyelination produced by the A59 strain of mouse hepatitis virus,” Neurology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 597–603, 1984.
- J. D. Sarma, L. Fu, S. T. Hingley, and E. Lavi, “Mouse hepatitis virus type-2 infection in mice: an experimental model system of acute meningitis and hepatitis,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2001.
- J. Das Sarma, L. Fu, S. T. Hingley, M. M. C. Lai, and E. Lavi, “Sequence analysis of the S gene of recombinant MHV-2/A59 coronaviruses reveals three candidate mutations associated with demyelination and hepatitis,” Journal of NeuroVirology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 432–436, 2001.
- D. Chatterjee, K. Biswas, S. Nag, S. G. Ramachandra, and J. D. Sarma, “Microglia play a major role in direct viral-induced demyelination,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2013, Article ID 510396, 12 pages, 2013.
- J. Das Sarma, L. C. Kenyon, S. T. Hingley, and K. S. Shindler, “Mechanisms of primary axonal damage in a viral model of multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 29, no. 33, pp. 10272–10280, 2009.
- W. Penfield, “A method of staining oligodendroglia and microglia (combined method),” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 153–157, 1928.
- D. S. Russell, “Intravital staining of microglia with trypan blue,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 451–458, 1929.
- M. Gencic and M. Oehmichen, “A modification of microglia impregnation,” Microscopica Acta, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 201–206, 1979.
- T. Scott, “A silver impregnation method for reactive microglia in 1 μm epoxy sections,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 46, no. 1-2, pp. 155–158, 1979.
- H. Kettenmann, U. K. Hanisch, M. Noda, and A. Verkhratsky, “Physiology of microglia,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 461–553, 2011.
- M. Oehmichen, H. Wiethoelter, and M. Gencic, “Cytochemical markers for mononuclear phagocytes as demonstrated in reactive microglia and globoid cells,” Acta Histochemica, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 243–252, 1980.
- K. S. Shindler, L. C. Kenyon, M. Dutt, S. T. Hingley, and J. Das Sarma, “Experimental optic neuritis induced by a demyelinating strain of mouse hepatitis virus,” Journal of Virology, vol. 82, no. 17, pp. 8882–8886, 2008.
- K. S. Shindler, D. Chatterjee, K. Biswas et al., “Macrophage-mediated optic neuritis induced by retrograde axonal transport of spike gene recombinant mouse hepatitis virus,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 470–480, 2011.
- H. Kanazawa, K. Ohsawa, Y. Sasaki, S. Kohsaka, and Y. Imai, “Macrophage/microglia-specific protein Iba1 enhances membrane ruffling and Rac activation via phospholipase C-γ-dependent pathway,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 22, pp. 20026–20032, 2002.
- G. W. Simmons, W. W. Pong, R. J. Emnett et al., “Neurofibromatosis-1 heterozygosity increases microglia in a spatially and temporally restricted pattern relevant to mouse optic glioma formation and growth,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 2011.
- P. Damier, E. C. Hirsch, P. Zhang, Y. Agid, and F. Javoy-Agid, “Glutathione peroxidase, glial cells and Parkinson's disease,” Neuroscience, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1993.
- A. Cagnin, D. J. Brooks, A. M. Kennedy et al., “In-vivo measurement of activated microglia in dementia,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9280, pp. 461–467, 2001.
- H. Akiyama, S. Barger, S. Barnum et al., “Inflammation and Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 383–421, 2000.
- C. K. Glass, K. Saijo, B. Winner, M. C. Marchetto, and F. H. Gage, “Mechanisms Underlying Inflammation in Neurodegeneration,” Cell, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 918–934, 2010.
- T. Wyss-Coray, J. D. Loike, T. C. Brionne et al., “Adult mouse astrocytes degrade amyloid-β in vitro and in situ,” Nature Medicine, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 453–457, 2003.
- M. L. Block and J. S. Hong, “Chronic microglial activation and progressive dopaminergic neurotoxicity,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1127–1132, 2007.
- P. L. McGeer and E. G. McGeer, “Glial reactions in Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 474–483, 2008.
- T. Nagatsu and M. Sawada, “Inflammatory process in Parkinson's disease: role for cytokines,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 999–1016, 2005.
- P. L. McGeer, S. Itagaki, B. E. Boyes, and E. G. McGeer, “Reactive microglia are positive for HLA-DR in the substantia nigra of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease brains,” Neurology, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 1285–1291, 1988.
- P. L. McGeer and E. G. McGeer, “Inflammatory processes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 459–470, 2002.
- L. Cartier, O. Hartley, M. Dubois-Dauphin, and K.-H. Krause, “Chemokine receptors in the central nervous system: role in brain inflammation and neurodegenerative diseases,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 16–42, 2005.