- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 489705, 7 pages
Capillary Electrophoresis with UV Detection to Determine Cocaine on Circulated Banknotes
1Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Santa Catarina, 88040-900 Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
2Department of Science & Food Technology, Federal University of Santa Catarina, 88034-001 Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Received 10 September 2013; Accepted 20 October 2013
Academic Editors: G. Erny, W. Miao, K. Ohyama, and A. Taga
Copyright © 2013 Melina Heller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Zuo, K. Zhang, J. Wu, C. Rego, and J. Fritz, “An accurate and nondestructive GC method for determination of cocaine on US paper currency,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 2444–2450, 2008.
- E. di Donato, C. C. S. Martin, and B. S. de Martinis, “Determination of cocaine in Brazilian paper currency by capillary gas chromatography/mass spectrometry,” Quimica Nova, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1966–1967, 2007.
- J. F. Carter, R. Sleeman, and J. Parry, “The distribution of controlled drugs on banknotes via counting machines,” Forensic Science International, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 106–112, 2003.
- D. Song, S. Zhang, and K. Kohlhof, “Determination of a trace amount of cocaine on a bank note by gas chromatography-positive-ion chemical-ionization mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 731, no. 1-2, pp. 355–360, 1996.
- J. C. Hudson, “Analysis of currency for cocaine contamination,” Journal of the Canadian Society of Forensic Science, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 203–218, 1989.
- A. J. Jenkins, “Drug contamination of US paper currency,” Forensic Science International, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 189–193, 2001.
- M. Lafitte, F. Brousse, L. Noël, Y. Gaillard, and G. Pépin, “Traces de stupéfiants sur les billets de banque: une comparaison entre les billets en circulation et les billets saisis à l'occasion de trafic de stupéfiant,” Annales de Toxicologie Analalytique, vol. 14, p. 95, 2002.
- F. A. Esteve-Turrillas, S. Armenta, J. Moros, S. Garrigues, A. Pastor, and M. de la Guardia, “Validated, non-destructive and environmentally friendly determination of cocaine in euro bank notes,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1065, no. 2, pp. 321–325, 2005.
- J. Bones, M. Macka, and B. Paull, “Evaluation of monolithic and sub 2 μm particle packed columns for the rapid screening for illicit drugs—application to the determination of drug contamination on Irish euro banknotes,” Analyst, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 208–217, 2007.
- K. Wimmer and S. Schneider, “Screening for illicit drugs on Euro banknotes by LC-MS/MS,” Forensic Science International, vol. 206, no. 1-3, pp. 172–177, 2011.
- A. Negrusz, J. L. Perry, and C. M. Moore, “Detection of cocaine on various denominations of United States currency,” Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 626–629, 1998.
- C. A. Heimbuck and N. W. Bower, “Teaching experimental design using a GC-MS analysis of cocaine on money: a cross-disciplinary laboratory,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 79, no. 10, pp. 1254–1256, 2002.
- Y. Xu, Y. Gao, H. Wei, Y. Du, and E. Wang, “Field-amplified sample stacking capillary electrophoresis with electrochemiluminescence applied to the determination of illicit drugs on banknotes,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1115, no. 1-2, pp. 260–266, 2006.
- A. Keil, N. Talaty, C. Janfelt et al., “Ambient mass spectrometry with a handheld mass spectrometer at high pressure,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 79, no. 20, pp. 7734–7739, 2007.
- S. Armenta and M. de la Guardia, “Analytical methods to determine cocaine contamination of banknotes from around the world,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 344–351, 2008.
- Y. N. Kolomiets and V. V. Pervukhin, “Effect of UV irradiation on detection of cocaine hydrochloride and crack vapors by IMIS and API-MS methods,” Talanta, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 542–547, 2009.
- A. H. Lawrence, “Detection of drug residues on the hands of subjects by surface sampling and ion mobility spectrometry,” Forensic Science International, vol. 34, no. 1-2, pp. 73–83, 1987.
- K. A. Ebejer, G. R. Lloyd, R. G. Brereton, J. F. Carter, and R. Sleeman, “Factors influencing the contamination of UK banknotes with drugs of abuse,” Forensic Science International, vol. 171, no. 2-3, pp. 165–170, 2007.
- S. J. Dixon, R. G. Brereton, J. F. Carter, and R. Sleeman, “Determination of cocaine contamination on banknotes using tandem mass spectrometry and pattern recognition,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 559, no. 1, pp. 54–63, 2006.
- K. A. Ebejer, R. G. Brereton, J. F. Carter, S. L. Ollerton, and R. Sleeman, “Rapid comparison of diacetylmorphine on banknotes by tandem mass spectrometry,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 19, no. 15, pp. 2137–2143, 2005.
- R. Sleeman, I. F. A. Burton, J. F. Carter, and D. J. Roberts, “Rapid screening of banknotes for the presence of controlled substances by thermal desorption atmospheric pressure chemical ionisation tandem mass spectrometry,” Analyst, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 103–108, 1999.
- S. A. Barat and M. S. Abdel-Rahman, “Cocaine and lidocaine in combination are synergistic convulsants,” Brain Research, vol. 742, no. 1-2, pp. 157–162, 1996.
- H. Wan, A. Holmén, M. Någård, and W. Lindberg, “Rapid screening of pKa values of pharmaceuticals by pressure-assisted capillary electrophoresis combined with short-end injection,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 979, no. 1-2, pp. 369–377, 2002.
- Z. K. Shihabi, “Stacking in capillary zone electrophoresis,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 902, no. 1, pp. 107–117, 2000.
- Z. K. Shihabi, “Transient pseudo-isotachophoresis for sample concentration in capillary electrophoresis,” Electrophoresis, vol. 23, pp. 1612–1617, 2002.
- G. A. Micke, A. C. O. Costa, M. Heller et al., “Development of a fast capillary electrophoresis method for the determination of propranolol-total analysis time reduction strategies,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1216, no. 45, pp. 7957–7961, 2009.
- A. F. Faria, M. V. N. de Souza, and M. A. L. de Oliveira, “Validation of a capillary zone electrophoresis method for the determination of ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin and ofloxacin in pharmaceutical formulations,” Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 389–396, 2008.