- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 968343, 7 pages
Assessing Depression among Older Persons with Arthritis: A Nationwide Health Status Survey
1Department of Pharmacy Administration, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, St. John’s University, 8000 Utopia Parkway, Jamaica, NY 11439, USA
2Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, Purdue University, 575 Stadium Mall Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Received 23 May 2013; Accepted 28 June 2013
Academic Editors: C. Chizzolini, B. A. Eberhard, D. Merlotti, and D. A. Stetler
Copyright © 2013 Rajesh Nayak and Jigar Rajpura. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- CDC, “Prevalence of self-reported arthritis or chronic joint symptoms among adults—United States, 2001,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 51, no. 42, pp. 948–950, 2002.
- E. Yelin, L. F. Callahan, and National Arthritis Data Work Groups, “The economic cost and social and psychological impact of musculoskeletal conditions,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1351–1362, 1995.
- L. F. Callahan, J. Rao, and M. Boutaugh, “Arthritis and women's health: prevalence, impact, and prevention,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 401–409, 1996.
- P. Bendtsen and J. O. Hornquist, “Severity of rheumatoid arthritis, function and quality of life: sub-group comparisons,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 495–502, 1993.
- P. Bendtsen and J. O. Hornquist, “Change and status in quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 297–305, 1992.
- R. G. Frank, N. C. Beck, J. C. Parker et al., “Depression in rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 920–925, 1988.
- K. O. Anderson, L. A. Bradley, L. D. Young, L. K. McDaniel, and C. M. Wise, “Rheumatoid arthritis: review of psychological factors related to etiology, effects, and treatment,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 358–387, 1985.
- L. D. Young, “Psychological factors in rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 619–627, 1992.
- L. M. Smedstad, P. Vaglum, T. K. Kvien, and T. Moum, “The relationship between self-reported pain and sociodemographic variables, anxiety, and depressive symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 514–520, 1995.
- D. Blazer, “The epidemiology of depression in late life,” in Depression and Aging, Causes, Care, and Consequences, L. Breslau and M. Haug, Eds., pp. 30–50, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1983.
- Arthritis and Depression: Nine symptoms to watch for. http://www.agencymeddirectors.wa.gov/Files/depressionform.pdf.
- J. E. Ware Jr. and C. D. Sherbourne, “The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36) I: conceptual framework and item selection,” Medical Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 473–483, 1992.
- L. S. Radloff, “The CES-D scale: a self-reprt depression scale for research in the general population,” Applied Psychological Measurement, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 385–401, 1977.
- J. E. Ware, K. K. Snow, and M. Kosinski, SF-36 Health Survey, Manual and Interpretation Guide, Quality Metric, Lincoln, RI, USA, 1993, 2000.
- T. E. Elliott, C. M. Renier, and J. A. Palcher, “Chronic pain, depression, and quality of life: correlations and predictive value of the SF-36,” Pain Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 331–339, 2003.
- T. Stoll, Y. Kauer, S. Büchi, R. Klaghofer, T. Sensky, and P. M. Villiger, “Prediction of depression in systemic lupus erythematosus patients using SF-36 Mental Health scores,” Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 695–698, 2001.
- D. M. Berwick, J. M. Murphy, P. A. Goldman, J. E. Ware, A. J. Barsky, and M. C. Weinstein, “Performance of a five-item mental health screening test,” Medical Care, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 169–176, 1991.
- M. C. Weinstein, D. M. Berwick, P. A. Goldman, J. M. Murphy, and A. J. Barsky, “A comparison of three psychiatric screening tests using receiver operating characteristic (ROC) analysis,” Medical Care, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 593–607, 1989.
- L. S. Radloff and B. S. Locke, “The community mental health assessment survey and the CES-D scale,” in Community Surveys of Psychiatric Disorders, M. M. Weissman, J. K. Myers, and C. E. Ross, Eds., pp. 177–189, Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, Canada, 1986.
- S. Himmelfarb and S. A. Murrell, “Reliability and validity of five mental health scales in older persons,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 333–339, 1983.
- L. S. Radloff and L. Teri, “Uses of the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression scale with older aduts,” in Clinical Gerontology: A Guide to Assessment and Intervention, T. L. Brink, Ed., pp. 119–135, Haworth Press, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- D. Shinar, C. R. Gross, T. R. Price, et al., “Screening for depression in stroke patients: the reliability and validity of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression scale,” Stroke, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 1986.
- S. A. Murrell, S. Himmelfarb, and K. Wright, “Prevalence of depression and its correlates in older adults,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 173–185, 1983.
- L. F. Berkman, C. S. Berkman, S. Kasl, et al., “Depressive symptoms in relation to physical health and functioning in the elderly,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 372–388, 1986.
- SPSS for Windows, Standard Version Release 11.0.1. Copyright SPSS Inc., 1998–2001.
- D. Blazer and C. D. Williams, “Epidemiology of dysphoria and depression in an elderly population,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 137, no. 4, pp. 439–444, 1980.
- B. H. Mulsant and M. Ganguli, “Epidemiology and diagnosis of depression in late life,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 60, supplement 20, pp. 9–15, 1999.
- B. D. Lebowitz, J. L. Pearson, L. S. Schneider et al., “Diagnosis and treatment of depression in late life: consensus statement update,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 278, no. 14, pp. 1186–1190, 1997.
- J. Unützer, D. L. Patrick, G. Simon et al., “Depressive symptoms and the cost of health services in HMO patients aged 65 years and older: a 4-year prospective study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 277, no. 20, pp. 1618–1623, 1997.
- E. H. B. Lin, W. Katon, M. Von Korff et al., “Effect of improving depression care on pain and functional outcomes among older adults with arthritis: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 18, pp. 2428–2434, 2003.