Research Article | Open Access
Xufeng Shang, Xingping Shao, Peng Wu, "Convergence and Error Estimate of the Steffensen Method", SRX Mathematics, vol. 2010, Article ID 674539, 5 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3814/2010/674539
Convergence and Error Estimate of the Steffensen Method
We present the Steffensen method in space. The convergence theorem is established by using the technique of majorizing function. Meanwhile, an error estimate is given. It avoids the calculus of derivative but has the same convergence order 2 with Newton's method. Finally, illustrative examples are included to demonstrate the validity and applicability of the technique.
- D. Han and J. Zhu, “Convergence and error estimate of a deformed Newton method,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 1115–1123, 2006.
- J. Zhu and D. Han, “Convergence and error estimate of “Newton like” method,” Journal of Zhejiang University, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 623–626, 2005.
- D. Han and X. Wang, “Convergence on a deformed Newton method,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 1998.
- J. Chen and Z. Shen, “Convergence analysis of the secant type methods,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 514–524, 2007.
- Y. Zhao and Q. Wu, “Newton-Kantorovich theorem for a family of modified Halleys method under Holder continuity conditions in Banach space,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 202, pp. 243–251, 2008.
- J. M. Ortega and W. C. Rheinbolbt, Iterative Solution of Nonlinear Equations in Several Variables[M], Beijing Science Press, Beijing, China, 1983.
- D. Chen, “On the convergence of a class of generalized Steffensens iterative procedures and error analysis,” International Journal of Computer Mathematics, vol. 31, pp. 195–203, 1989.
- X. Wu and H. Wu, “On a class of quadratic convergence iteration formulae without derivatives,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 107, pp. 77–80, 2000.
- Q. Zheng, J. Wang, P. Zhao, and L. Zhang, “A Steffensen-like method and its higher-order variants,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 214, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2009.
- H. M. Ren, Q. B. Wu, and W. H. Bi, “A class of two-step Steffensen type methods with fourth-order convergence,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 209, pp. 206–210, 2009.
- S. Amat, S. Busquier, and V. Candela, “A class of quasi-Newton generalized Steffensen methods on Banach spaces,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 397–406, 2002.
- S. Hilout, “Convergence analysis of a family of Steffensen-type methods for generalized equations,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 339, no. 2, pp. 753–761, 2008.
- V. Alarcon, S. Amat, S. Busquier, and D. J. Lopez, “A Steffensens type method in Banach spaces with applications on boundary-value problems,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 243–250, 2008.
- J. A. Ezquerro, M. A. Hernandez, and M. A. Salanova, “A discretization scheme for some conservative problems,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 115, no. 1-2, pp. 181–192, 2000.
Copyright © 2010 Xufeng Shang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.