Case Report | Open Access
L. Margolin, A. Monselise, "Fatal Mimicry: Oral Melanoma versus Mantle Cell Lymphoma", SRX Medicine, vol. 2010, Article ID 581923, 3 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3814/2010/581923
Fatal Mimicry: Oral Melanoma versus Mantle Cell Lymphoma
We present a 71-year-old male with oral melanoma and mantle cell hyperplasia who was erroneously diagnosed and treated as mantle cell lymphoma. The differential diagnosis of MCL versus mantle cell hyperplasia is a challenging task. Thorough immunohistochemical and cytogenetic analyses are warranted before treatment administration. The more common presentation of amelanotic malignant melanoma requires a high index of suspicion for masses identified in the mouth and requires biopsy for definitive diagnosis. A meticulous physical examination is advocated.
- J. J. Sciubba, “Oral cancer: the importance of early diagnosis and treatment,” American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 239–251, 2001.
- J. L. Cebrián Carretero, M. Chamorro Pons, and N. Montesdeoco, “Melanoma of the oral cavity. Review of the literature,” Medicina Oral, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 371–375, 2001.
- R. Bovo, A. Farruggio, M. Agnoletto, M. Galceran, and F. Polidoro, “Primitive malignant melanoma of the base of the tongue,” Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Italica, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 371–374, 1996.
- M. Gorsky and J. B. Epstein, “Melanoma arising from the mucosal surfaces of the head and neck,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 715–719, 1998.
- D. D. Weisenburger, W. G. Sanger, J. O. Armitage, and D. T. Purtilo, “Intermediate lymphocytic lymphoma: immunophenotypic and cytogenetic findings,” Blood, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1617–1621, 1987.
- D. Leroux, F. Le Marc'Hadour, R. Gressin et al., “Non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with t(11;14)(q13;q32): a subset of mantle zone/intermediate lymphocytic lymphoma?” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 346–353, 1991.
- R. Rimokh, F. Berger, C. Bastard et al., “Rearrangement of CCND1 (BCL1/PRAD1) untranslated region in mantle-cell lymphomas and t(11q13)-associated leukemias,” Blood, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 3689–3696, 1994.
- B. Johansson, F. Mertens, and F. Mitelman, “Cytogenetic evolution patterns in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 3905–3914, 1995.
- O. Monni, R. Oinonen, E. Elonen et al., “Gain of 3q and deletion of 11q22 are frequent aberrations in mantle cell lymphoma,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 298–307, 1998.
- J. Limpens, D. de Jong, J. H. J. M. van Krieken et al., “Bcl-2/JH rearrangements in benign lymphoid tissues with follicular hyperplasia,” Oncogene, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 2271–2276, 1991.
- P. Meusers, M. Engelhard, H. Bartels et al., “Multicentre randomized therapeutic trial for advanced centrocytic lymphoma: anthracycline does not improve the prognosis,” Hematological Oncology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 365–380, 1989.
- E. Zucca, E. Roggero, G. Pinotti et al., “Patterns of survival in mantle cell lymphoma,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 257–262, 1995.
- I. Teodorovic, S. Pittaluga, J. C. Kluin-Nelemans et al., “Efficacy of four different regimens in 64 mantle-cell lymphoma cases: clinicopathologic comparison with 498 other non-Hodgkin's lymphoma subtypes,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 2819–2826, 1995.
- E. Braunwald, A. S. Fauci, D. L. Kasper, S. L. Hauser, D. L. Longo, and J. L. Jameson, Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 15th edition, 2001.
- J. H. Schiller, M. J. Hawkins, M. J. O'Connell, K. Sielaff, and E. C. Borden, “A phase I trial of interferon--2a plus cyclophosphamide, vincristine, prednisone, and doxorubicin,” Journal of Biological Response Modifiers, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 252–261, 1989.
Copyright © 2010 L. Margolin and A. Monselise. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.