Research Article | Open Access
Pseudo-TE/TM Waves in a Self-Dual Chiral Medium
Using successively the conventional Gibbs and the differential-form formulations of Maxwell's equations, we analyze the electromagnetic fields in a self-dual chiral material (invariance under the exchanges [(EH), (DB), . We prove that such a medium supports pseudo-TE/TM waves (only a component is null with two relations between four of the five other components). An interesting example is supplied by the Courant-Hilbert quasi-undistorted progressing waves: their form does not change along propagation; only their amplitude could change.
- I. V. Lindell, Differential Forms in Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2004.
- I. V. Lindell and L. H. Ruotanen, “Duality transformations and Green dyadics for bi-anisotropic media,” Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1131–1152, 1998.
- E. J. Post, Formal Structure of Electromagnetism, North Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1962.
- R. Courant and D. Hilbert, Methods of Mathematical Physics, vol. 2, Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1962.
- P. Hillion, “Nondispersive solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1817–1821, 1992.
- P. Hillion, “Nondispersive solutions of the Dirac equation,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1822–1830, 1992.
- A. P. Kiselev, “Modulated Gaussian beams,” Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1014–1020, 1983.
- A. Bossavit, “Differential forms and the computation of fields and forces in electromagnetism,” European Journal of Mechanics B, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 474–481, 1991.
- Z. Ren and A. Razek, “Computation of 3D-electromagnetic field using differential forms based on elements,” International Journal of Numerical Analysis and Modeling, vol. 9, pp. 81–98, 1996.
- A. Stein, Y. Tong, M. Desbrun, and J. L. Marsden, “Geometric computational electrodynamics with variational integrators and discrete differential forms,” http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.4470.
- W. A. Rodrigues, Jr. and J. Y. Lu, “On the existence of undistorted progressing waves of arbitrary speed ,” Foundations of Physics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 435–508, 1997.
- R. W. Ziolkowski, “Localized transmission of electromagnetic energy,” Physical Review A, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 2005–2033, 1989.
- H. E. Moses and R. T. Prosser, “Acoustic and electromagnetic bullets,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1325–1340, 1990.
Copyright © 2010 Pierre Hillion. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.