- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Pathology Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 743836, 6 pages
Histological Correlation of Glandular Abnormalities in Cervical Liquid-Based Cytology
1Institute for Clinical Research, National Hospital Organization Japan, Kure Medical Center/Chugoku Cancer Center, 3-1 Aoyama-Cho, Kure-City, Hiroshima 737-0023, Japan
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Hospital Organization Japan, Kure Medical Center/Chugoku Cancer Center, 3-1 Aoyama-Cho, Kure-City, Hiroshima 737-0023, Japan
3Department of Diagnostic Pathology, National Hospital Organization Japan, Kure Medical Center/Chugoku Cancer Center, 3-1 Aoyama-Cho, Kure-City, Hiroshima 737-0023, Japan
Received 2 February 2011; Accepted 12 June 2011
Academic Editor: Nirag Jhala
Copyright © 2011 Yosuke Kawakami et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Parkin, F. Bray, J. Ferlay, and P. Pisani, “Global cancer statistics, 2002,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 74–108, 2005.
- A. Figo, “Cervical cancer prevention in low-resource settings,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 86–87, 2005.
- M. A. Quinn, J. L. Benedet, F. Odicino, et al., “Carcinoma of the cervix uteri. FIGO 6th Annual Report on the results of treatment in gynecological cancer,” International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, vol. 95, supplement 1, pp. 43–103, 2006.
- R. Sankaranarayanan, “Overview of cervical cancer in the developing world. FIGO 6th Annual Report on the results of treatment in gynecological cancer,” International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, vol. 95, supplement 1, pp. 205–210, 2006.
- M. Arbyn, A. O. Raifu, E. Weiderpass, F. Bray, and A. Anttila, “Trends of cervical cancer mortality in the member states of the European Union,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 15, pp. 2640–2648, 2009.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2010, American Cancer Society, 2010.
- S. Liu, R. Semenciw, A. Probert, and Y. Mao, “Cervical cancer in Canada: changing patterns in incidence and mortality,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2001.
- B. E. Miller, S. D. Flax, K. Arheart, and G. Photopulos, “The presentation of adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix,” Cancer, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1281–1285, 1993.
- R. K. Peters, A. Chao, and T. M. Mack, “Increased frequency of adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix in young women in Los Angeles County,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 423–428, 1986.
- S. M. Schwartz and N. S. Weiss, “Increased incidence of adenocarcinoma of the cervix in young women in the United States,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 124, no. 6, pp. 1045–1047, 1986.
- H. O. Smith, M. F. Tiffany, C. R. Qualls, and C. R. Key, “The rising incidence of adenocarcinoma relative to squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix in the United States—a 24-year population-based study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 97–105, 2000.
- Japanese Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology, “Patient Annual Report 2009,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1055–1099, 2011.
- Japanese Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology, “The guideline of cytological reporting based on the Bethesda System 2001,” 2008.
- A. K. Adhya, V. Mahesha, R. Srinivasan et al., “Atypical glandular cells in cervical smears: histological correlation and a suggested plan of management based on age of the patient in a low-resource setting,” Cytopathology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 375–379, 2009.
- N. I. Mood, Z. Eftekhar, A. Haratian, L. Saeedi, P. Rahimi-Moghaddam, and F. Yarandi, “A cytohistologic study of atypical glandular cells detected in cervical smears during cervical screening tests in Iran,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 257–261, 2006.
- H. S. Mitchell, “Outcome after a cytological prediction of glandular abnormality,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 436–440, 2004.
- P. J. J. M. Klinkhamer, W. J. Meerding, P. F. W. M. Rosier, and A. G. J. M. Hanselaar, “Liquid-based cervical cytology: a review of the literature with methods of evidence-based medicine,” Cancer, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 263–271, 2003.
- J. S. Bentz, L. R. Rowe, E. V. Gopez, and C. J. Marshall, “The unsatisfactory ThinPrep Pap Test missed opportunity for disease detection?” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 457–463, 2002.
- L. Minge, M. Fleming, T. VanGeem, and J. W. Bishop, “AutoCyte Prep system vs. conventional cervical cytology: comparison based on 2,156 cases,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine for the Obstetrician and Gynecologist, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 179–184, 2000.
- M. L. Hutchinson, D. J. Zahniser, M. E. Sherman et al., “Utility of liquid-based cytology for cervical carcinoma screening: results of a population-based study conducted in a region of Costa Rica with a high incidence of cervical carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 48–55, 1999.
- A. B. Carpenter and D. D. Davey, “ThinPrep Pap test: performance and biopsy follow-up in a University Hospital,” Cancer, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 105–112, 1999.
- K. R. Lee, R. Ashfaq, G. G. Birdsong, M. E. Corkill, K. M. McIntosh, and S. L. Inhorn, “Comparison of conventional Papanicolaou smears and a fluid-based, thin- layer system for cervical cancer screening,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 278–284, 1997.
- M. Nishiwaki, T. Yamamoto, S. Tone et al., “Genotyping of human papillomaviruses by a novel one-step typing method with multiplex PCR and clinical applications,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1161–1168, 2008.
- A. J. M. van Aspert-van Erp, F. M. M. Smedts, and G. P. Vooijs, “Severe cervical glandular cell lesions and severe cervical combined lesions: predictive value of the Papanicolaou smear,” Cancer, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 210–217, 2004.