- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Pathology Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 597497, 14 pages
Molecular Events in Primary and Metastatic Colorectal Carcinoma: A Review
1Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 0W8
2Royal University Hospital, Room 2868 G-Wing, 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 0W8
3Department of Surgery, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 0W8
Received 25 December 2011; Accepted 23 February 2012
Academic Editor: Marco Volante
Copyright © 2012 Rani Kanthan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Colorectal Cancer Statistics at a Glance, http://www.cancer.ca/canada-wide/about%20cancer/cancer%20statistics/stats%20at%20a%20glance/colorectal%20cancer.aspx, 2011.
- E. R. Fearon, “Molecular genetics of colorectal cancer,” Annual Review of Pathology, vol. 6, pp. 479–507, 2011.
- D. L. Worthley and B. A. Leggett, “Colorectal cancer: molecular features and clinical opportunities,” The Clinical Biochemist Reviews, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 31–39, 2010.
- N. Sengupta, K. A. Gill, T. S. MacFie et al., “Management of colorectal cancer: a role for genetics in prevention and treatment?” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 204, no. 7, pp. 469–477, 2008.
- V. Deschoolmeester, M. Baay, P. Specenier, F. Lardon, and J. B. Vermorken, “A review of the most promising biomarkers in colorectal cancer: one step closer to targeted therapy,” Oncologist, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 699–731, 2010.
- L. S. Kahng, “Genetic aspects of non-polypoid colorectal neoplasms,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 573–578, 2010.
- S. Ogino, A. T. Chan, C. S. Fuchs, and E. Giovannucci, “Molecular pathological epidemiology of colorectal neoplasia: an emerging transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary field,” Gut, 2010.
- S. D. Markowitz and M. M. Bertagnolli, “Molecular basis of colorectal cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 25, pp. 2404–2460, 2009.
- L. Migliore, F. Migheli, R. Spisni, and F. Copped, “Genetics, cytogenetics, and epigenetics of colorectal cancer,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 792362, 19 pages, 2011.
- M. Costedio and J. Church, “Pathways of carcinogenesis are reflected in patterns of polyp pathology in patients screened for colorectal cancer,” Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1224–1228, 2011.
- E. R. Fearon and B. Vogelstein, “A genetic model for colorectal tumorigenesis,” Cell, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 759–767, 1990.
- C. R. Boland and A. Goel, “Microsatellite instability in colorectal cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 2073–e3, 2010.
- M. S. Pino and D. C. Chung, “The chromosomal instability pathway in colon cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 2059–2072, 2010.
- J. Perea, M. Lomas, and M. Hidalgo, “Molecular basis of colorectal cancer: towards an individualized management,” Revista Espanola de Enfermedades Digestivas, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2011.
- A. H. Sillars-Hardebol, B. Carvalho, M. De Wit et al., “Identification of key genes for carcinogenic pathways associated with colorectal adenoma-to-carcinoma progression,” Tumor Biology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 89–96, 2010.
- T. Winder and H. J. Lenz, “Molecular predictive and prognostic markers in colon cancer,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 550–556, 2010.
- A. Goel, T. Nagasaka, C. N. Arnold et al., “The CpG island methylator phenotype and chromosomal instability are inversely correlated in sporadic colorectal cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 127–138, 2007.
- W. M. Grady and J. M. Carethers, “Genomic and epigenetic instability in colorectal cancer pathogenesis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 135, no. 4, pp. 1079–1099, 2008.
- H. Ashktorab, A. A. Schäffer, M. Daremipouran, D. T. Smoot, E. Lee, and H. Brim, “Distinct genetic alterations in colorectal cancer,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 1, Article ID e8879, 2010.
- W. B. Dalton and V. W. Yang, “Mitotic origins of chromosomal instability in colorectal cancer,” Current Colorectal Cancer Reports, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 59–64, 2007.
- B. M. Brenner and D. Rosenberg, “High-throughput SNP/CGH approaches for the analysis of genomic instability in colorectal cancer,” Mutation Research, vol. 693, no. 1-2, pp. 46–52, 2010.
- R. A. Booth, “Minimally invasive biomarkers for detection and staging of colorectal cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 249, no. 1, pp. 87–96, 2007.
- A. Walther, R. Houlston, and I. Tomlinson, “Association between chromosomal instability and prognosis in colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis,” Gut, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 941–950, 2008.
- K. B. Geiersbach and W. S. Samowitz, “Microsatellite instability and colorectal cancer,” Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, vol. 125, pp. 1269–1277, 2011.
- B. Iacopetta, F. Grieu, and B. Amanuel, “Microsatellite instability in colorectal cancer,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 260–269, 2010.
- A. de la Chapelle and H. Hampel, “Clinical relevance of microsatellite instability in colorectal cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 20, pp. 3380–3387, 2010.
- K. L. Yim, “Microsatellite instability in metastatic colorectal cancer: a review of pathology, response to chemotherapy and clinical outcome,” Medical Oncology. In press.
- C. P. Raut, T. M. Pawlik, and M. A. Rodriguez-Bigas, “Clinicopathologic features in colorectal cancer patients with microsatellite instability,” Mutation Research, vol. 568, no. 2, pp. 275–282, 2004.
- C. S. Huang, F. A. Farraye, S. Yang, and M. J. O'Brien, “The Clinical Significance of Serrated Polyps,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2010.
- J. R. Jass, “Classification of colorectal cancer based on correlation of clinical, morphological and molecular features,” Histopathology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 113–130, 2007.
- D. C. Snover, “Update on the serrated pathway to colorectal carcinoma,” Human Pathology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2011.
- A. M. Bellizzi and W. L. Frankel, “Colorectal cancer due to deficiency in DNA mismatch repair function: a review,” Advances in Anatomic Pathology, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 405–417, 2009.
- R. Venkatachalam, M. J. Ligtenberg, N. Hoogerbrugge, D. R. de Bruijn, R. P. Kuiper, and A. Geurts van Kessel, “The epigenetics of (hereditary) colorectal cancer,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 203, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- J. H. Kim, S. H. Shin, H. J. Kwon, N. Y. Cho, and G. H. Kang, “Prognostic implications of CpG island hypermethylator phenotype in colorectal cancers,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 455, no. 6, pp. 485–494, 2009.
- Y. S. Kim and G. Deng, “Epigenetic changes (aberrant DNA methylation) in colorectal neoplasia,” Gut and Liver, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2007.
- Y. W. Cheng, H. Pincas, M. D. Bacolod et al., “CpG island methylator phenotype associates with low-degree chromosomal abnormalities in colorectal cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 6005–6013, 2008.
- G. H. Kang, “Four molecular subtypes of colorectal cancer and their precursor lesions,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 698–703, 2011.
- R. Melcher, E. Hartmann, W. Zopf et al., “LOH and copy neutral LOH (cnLOH) act as alternative mechanism in sporadic colorectal cancers with chromosomal and microsatellite instability,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 636–642, 2011.
- D. Huang and X. Du, “Crosstalk between tumor cells and microenvironment via Wnt pathway in colorectal cancer dissemination,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1823–1827, 2008.
- W. de Roock, B. Biesmans, J. De Schutter, and S. Tejpar, “Clinical biomarkers in oncology: focus on colorectal cancer,” Molecular Diagnosis and Therapy, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 103–114, 2009.
- S. Yachida, S. Mudali, S. A. Martin, E. A. Montgomery, and C. A. Iacobuzio-Donahue, “Beta-catenin nuclear labeling is a common feature of sessile serrated adenomas and correlates with early neoplastic progression after BRAF activation,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1823–1832, 2009.
- N. S. Fearnhead, M. P. Britton, and W. F. Bodmer, “The ABC of APC,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 721–733, 2001.
- G. R. van den Brink, “Linking pathways in colorectal cancer,” Nature Genetics, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1038–1039, 2004.
- A. Lièvre, H. Blons, and P. Laurent-Puig, “Oncogenic mutations as predictive factors in colorectal cancer,” Oncogene, vol. 29, no. 21, pp. 3033–3043, 2010.
- U. Asghar, E. Hawkes, and D. Cunningham, “Predictive and prognostic biomarkers for targeted therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer,” Clinical Colorectal Cancer, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 274–281, 2010.
- O. Slaby, M. Svoboda, J. Michalek, and R. Vyzula, “MicroRNAs in colorectal cancer: translation of molecular biology into clinical application,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 8, p. 102, 2009.
- I. de Krijger, L. J. M. Mekenkamp, C. J. A. Punt, and I. D. Nagtegaal, “MicroRNAs in colorectal cancer metastasis,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 224, no. 4, pp. 438–447, 2011.
- L. Yang, N. Belaguli, and D. H. Berger, “MicroRNA and colorectal cancer,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 638–646, 2009.
- A. Goel and C. R. Boland, “Recent insights into the pathogenesis of colorectal cancer,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2010.
- J. J. L. Wong, N. J. Hawkins, and R. L. Ward, “Colorectal cancer: a model for epigenetic tumorigenesis,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 140–148, 2007.
- D. S. Early, L. Fontana, and N. O. Davidson, “Translational approaches to addressing complex genetic pathways in colorectal cancer,” Translational Research, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2008.
- R. Kumar, “Commentary: targeting colorectal cancer through molecular biology,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. S37–S39, 2005.
- T. Winder and H. J. Lenz, “Vascular endothelial growth factor and epidermal growth factor signaling pathways as therapeutic targets for colorectal cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 2163–2176, 2010.
- S. Barton, N. Starling, and C. Swanton, “Predictive molecular markers of response to epidermal growth factor receptor(EGFR) family-targeted therapies,” Current Cancer Drug Targets, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 799–812, 2010.
- A. Pohl, W. Zhang, Y. Ning, P. C. Manegold, G. Lurje, and H. J. Lenz, “Targeting metastatic colorectal cancer in 2008: a long way from 5-FU,” Oncology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 456–462, 2008.
- A. Cercek and L. Saltz, “Evolving treatment of advanced colorectal cancer,” Current Oncology Reports, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 153–159, 2010.
- D. Kevans, L. M. Wang, K. Sheahan, et al., “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition(EMT) protein expression in a cohort of stage II colorectal cancer patients with characterized tumor budding and mismatch repair protein status,” International Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1–10, 2011.
- I. Zlobec and A. Lugli, “Epithelial mesenchymal transition and tumor budding in aggressive colorectal cancer: tumor budding as oncotarget,” Oncotarget, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 651–661, 2010.
- I. Zlobec, F. Molinari, V. Martin et al., “Tumor budding predicts response to anti-EGFR therapies in metastatic colorectal cancer patients,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 38, pp. 4823–4831, 2010.
- S. Itzkowitz, R. Brand, L. Jandorf et al., “A simplified, noninvasive Stool DNA test for colorectal cancer detection,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 2862–2870, 2008.
- D. E. Brenner and G. Rennert, “Fecal DNA biomarkers for the detection of colorectal neoplasia: attractive, but is it feasible?” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 15, pp. 1107–1109, 2005.
- K. Lenhard, G. T. Bommer, S. Asutay et al., “Analysis of promoter methylation in stool: a novel method for the detection of colorectal cancer,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 142–149, 2005.
- F. E. Ahmed, P. Vos, S. IJames et al., “Transcriptomic molecular markers for screening human colon cancer in stool and tissue,” Cancer Genomics and Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 2007.
- P. Nair, S. Lagerholm, S. Dutta et al., “Coprocytobiology: on the nature of cellular elements from stools in the pathophysiology of colonic disease,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. S84–S93, 2003.
- D. A. Ahlquist, “Molecular detection of colorectal neoplasia,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 2127–2139, 2010.
- S. H. Itzkowitz, L. Jandorf, R. Brand et al., “Improved fecal DNA test for colorectal cancer screening,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 111–117, 2007.
- R. Kanthan, J. L. Senger, and S. C. Kanthan, “Fecal molecular markers for colorectal cancer screening,” Gastroenterology Research & Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 184343, 15 pages, 2012.
- B. Greenwald, “The stool DNA test: an emerging technology in colorectal cancer screening,” Gastroenterology Nursing, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 28–32, 2005.
- A. Loganayagam, “Faecal screening of colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 454–459, 2008.
- D. A. Ahlquist, “Molecular stool screening for colorectal cancer. Using DNA markers may be beneficial, but large scale evaluation is needed,” British Medical Journal, vol. 321, no. 7256, pp. 254–255, 2000.
- B. M. Berger, P. C. Schroy, J. L. Rosenberg et al., “Colorectal cancer screening using stool DNA analysis in clinical practice: early clinical experience with respect to patient acceptance and colonoscopic follow-up of abnormal tests,” Clinical Colorectal Cancer, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 338–343, 2006.
- J. Creeden, F. Junker, S. Vogel-Ziebolz, and D. Rex, “Serum tests for colorectal cancer screening,” Molecular Diagnosis and Therapy, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 129–141, 2011.
- M. S. Kim, J. Lee, and D. Sidransky, “DNA methylation markers in colorectal cancer,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 181–206, 2010.