- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Smart Materials Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 264609, 8 pages
Drug Release Kinetics from Polymer Matrix through Fractal Approximation of Motion
1Department of Natural and Synthetic Polymers, Faculty of Chemical Engineering and Environmental Protection, “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University, Prof. Dr. Docent Dimitrie Mangeron Road, No. 73, 700050 Iasi, Romania
2Physics Department, Faculty of Machine Manufacturing and Industrial Management, “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University, Prof. Dr. Docent Dimitrie Mangeron Road, No. 59A, 700050 Iasi, Romania
3Centre of Advanced Researches for Bionanoconjugates and Biopolymers, “Petru Poni” Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Grigore Ghica Voda Avenue, No. 41A, 700487 Iasi, Romania
4Lasers, Atoms and Molecules Physics Laboratory, University of Science and Technology, Villeneuve d’Ascq, 59655 Lille, France
Received 10 February 2012; Revised 4 March 2012; Accepted 5 March 2012
Academic Editor: Metin Ak
Copyright © 2012 S. Băcăiţă et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. B. Mandelbrot, The Fractal Geometry of Nature, Freeman, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1983.
- D. Stauffer and H. E. Stanle, From Newton to Mandelbrot, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- V. U. Novikov and G. V. Kozlov, “Structure and properties of polymers in terms of the fractal approach,” Russian Chemical Reviews, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 523–549, 2000.
- G. V. Kozlov and G. E. Zaikov, Fractals and Local Order in Polymeric Materials, Nova Science Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- E. Hornbogen, “Fractals in microstructure of metals,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 277–296, 1989.
- M. E. Cates, “Statics and dynamics of polymeric fractals,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 926–929, 1984.
- J. Havlin and D. Ben-Avraham, “Fractal dimensionality of polymer chains,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 15, pp. L311–L316, 1982.
- M. Muthukumar, “Dynamics of polymeric fractals,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 3161–3168, 1985.
- M. H. Bessendorf, “Stochastic and fractal analysis of fracture trajectories,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 667–672, 1987.
- Y. Fu and W. J. Kao, “Drug release kinetics and transport mechanisms of non-degradable and degradable polymeric delivery systems,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 429–444, 2010.
- S. Popescu, Actual Issues in the Physics of Self-Structured Systems, Tehnopress, Iasi, Romania, 2003.
- L. Nottale, “Fractals and the quantum theory of space-time,” International Journal of Modern Physics A, vol. 4, pp. 5047–5117, 1989.
- L. Nottale, Fractal Space-Time and Microphysics: Towards a Theory of Scale Relativity, World Scientific, Singapore, 1993.
- K. Kosmidis, P. Argyrakis, and P. Macheras, “Fractal kinetics in drug release from finite fractal matrices,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 119, no. 12, pp. 6373–6377, 2003.
- P. Costa and J. M. Sousa Lobo, “Modeling and comparison of dissolution profiles,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 123–133, 2001.
- S. Popescu, “Turing structures in dc gas discharges,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 190–196, 2006.
- A. J. Lichtenberg and M. A. Lieberman, Regular and Stochastic Motion, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- L. Nottale, Scale Relativity and Fractal Space-Time—A New Approach to Unifying Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 2011.
- R. P. Feynman and A. R. Hibbs, Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals, MacGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- D. G. Dimitriu, “Physical processes related to the onset of low-frequency instabilities in magnetized plasma,” Czechoslovak Journal of Physics, vol. 54, supplement, no. C468, p. C474, 2004.
- D. G. Dimitriu, V. Ignatescu, C. Ioniţǎ, E. Lozneanu, M. Sanduloviciu, and R. W. Schrittwieser, “The influence of electron impact ionisations on low frequency instabilities in a magnetised plasma,” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 223-224, pp. 141–158, 2003.
- M. Agop, N. Forna, I. Casian-Botez, and C. Bejenariu, “New theoretical approach of the physical processes in nanostructures,” Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 483–489, 2008.
- I. Casian-Botez, M. Agop, P. Nica, V. Paun, and G. V. Munceleanu, “Conductive and convective types behaviors at nano-time scales,” Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 2271–2280, 2010.
- G. V. Munceleanu, V. P. Paun, I. Casian-Botez, and M. Agop, “The microscopic-macroscopic scale transformation through a chaos scenario in the fractal space-time theory,” International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 603–618, 2011.
- J. F. Gouyet, Physique et Structures Fractals, Masson, Paris, France, 1992.
- M. S. El Naschie, O. E. Rössler, and I. Prigogine, Quantum Mechanics, Diffusion and Chaotic Fractals, Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 1995.
- P. Weibel, G. Ord, and O. E. Rösler, Space Time Physics and Fractality, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- K. C. Sung, P. R. Nixon, J. W. Skoug et al., “Effect of formulation variables on drug and polymer release from HPMC-based matrix tablets,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 1996.
- J. Siepmann, A. Streubel, and N. A. Peppas, “Understanding and predicting drug delivery from hydrophilic matrix tablets using the “sequential layer” model,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 306–314, 2002.
- V. Papadopoulou, K. Kosmidis, M. Vlachou, and P. Macheras, “On the use of the Weibull function for the discernment of drug release mechanisms,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 309, no. 1-2, pp. 44–50, 2006.
- L. Jude, Mathematics Physics Equations. Theory and Applications, Matrix Rom Publishing, Romania, 2010.
- K. B. Oldham and J. Spanier, The Fractional Calculus: Theory and Applications of Differential and Integration to Arbitrary Order, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- A. A. Kilbas, H. M. Srivastava, and J. J. Trujilto, Theory and Applications of Fractional Differential Equations, Elsevier, Armsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- C. A. Peptu, A. Perichaud, and M. Popa, “Hydrogel microspheres based on environmentally friendly polymers with potential biomedical applications,” Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 717–727, 2011.
- A. Uliniuc, Chemical modifications of polysaccharides and their hydrogels through “click-chemistry” procedure, Ph.D. thesis, “Ghe. Asachi” Technical University of Iasi, Iasi, Romania, 2011.
- C. A. Peptu, G. Buhus, M. Popa, A. Perichaud, and D. Costin, “Double cross-linked chitosan′"Gelatin particulate systems for ophthalmic applications,” Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 98–116, 2010.
- P. S. Addison, Fractals and Chaos—An Illustrated Course, Institute of Physics Publishing, Londra, Regno Unito, 1997.
- A. J. Lichtenberg, Phase-Space Dynamics of Particle, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1969.
- M. H. Jensen, G. Paladin, and A. Vulpiani, “Random fractals, phase transitions, and negative dimension spectra,” Physical Review E, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 4352–4356, 1994.