Case Report | Open Access
Chih-Hsin Hsieh, Yin-Chun Tien, Song-Hsiung Chien, "Intraosseous Epidermoid Cyst of Distal Phalanx of Fingers", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2008, Article ID 963687, 3 pages, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3814/2008/963687
Intraosseous Epidermoid Cyst of Distal Phalanx of Fingers
Intraosseous epidermoid cysts of fingers are uncommon lesions. We reported two cases with intraosseous epidermoid cysts of distal phalanx of fingers. Case 1 was a 61-year-old woman with a swelling of the left middle finger without history of trauma. Case 2 was a 47-year-old male with a crushing injury of his right thumb. On radiographic findings, a well-circumscribed osteolytic lesion in distal phalanges was noted. Unexpectedly, histological examinations showed intraosseous epidermoid cyst.
- M. R. Lerner and W. O. Southwick, “Keratin cysts in phalangeal bones. Report of an unusual case,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. American Volume, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 365–372, 1968.
- C. P. Samlaska and M. F. Hansen, “Intraosseous epidermoid cysts,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 454–455, 1992.
- B. Y. Wang, J. Eisler, D. Springfield, and M. J. Klein, “Intraosseous epidermoid inclusion cyst in a great toe. A case report and review of the literature,” Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, vol. 127, no. 7, pp. e298–e300, 2003.
- F. Schajowicz, C. L. Aiello, and I. Slullitel, “Cystic and pseudocystic lesions of the terminal phalanx with special reference to epidermoid cysts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 68, pp. 84–92, 1970.
- R. A. B. Mollan, A. R. Wray, and D. Hayes, “Traumatic epidermoid cyst of the ulna. Report of a case,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. British Volume, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 456–457, 1982.
- M. Ambo, M. Kumakiri, and Y. Chohno, “Epidermoid cyst with perforation of the skull,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 934–936, 2003.
- U. Handa, S. Kumar, and H. Mohan, “Aspiration cytology of epidermoid cyst of terminal phalanx,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 266–267, 2002.
- R. Yang, M. C. Chang, Y. Liu, and W. H. Lo, “Intraosseous epidermoid cyst in distal phalanx of finger: a case report,” Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 109–112, 1997.
Copyright © 2008 Chih-Hsin Hsieh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.