Case Report | Open Access
Laura Moschettoni, Damiano Lisciani, Guglielmo Cacciotti, Mario Francesco Fraioli, "Idiopathic Intradural Extramedullary Arachnoid Cyst and Associated Syringomyelia", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2009, Article ID 452627, 3 pages, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3814/2009/452627
Idiopathic Intradural Extramedullary Arachnoid Cyst and Associated Syringomyelia
We report a case and discuss clinical features and radiological differential diagnosis of dorsal idiopathic extramedullary arachnoid cyst associated to a caudal syringomyelic cavitation. The aim of this article is to review the current literature on a rare topic as idiopathic intradural extramedullary arachnoid cyst with associated syringomyelia. We emphasize the fact that correct diagnosis and adequate treatment, which we believe is microsurgical fenestration of the cyst into the subarachnoid space, may lead to disappearance of syringomyelia and complete resolution of preoperative spinal cord compression symptoms.
- H. Bassiouni, A. Hunold, S. Asgari, U. Hübschen, H.-J. König, and D. Stolke, “Spinal intradural juxtamedullary cysts in the adult: surgical management and outcome,” Neurosurgery, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1352–1360, 2004.
- R. Dulou, E. Blondet, G. Dutertre, J.-M. Delmas, F. De Soultrait, and P. Pernot, “Spinal cord compression by arachnoid cysts,” Neurochirurgie, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 381–386, 2006.
- H.-J. Lee and D.-Y. Cho, “Symptomatic spinal intradural arachnoid cysts in the pediatric age group: description of three new cases and review of the literature,” Pediatric Neurosurgery, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 181–187, 2001.
- M. Y. Wang, A. D. O. Levi, and B. A. Green, “Intradural spinal arachnoid cysts in adults,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2003.
- M. Bruneau, T. Duprez, D. Rommel, and C. Raftopoulos, “Surgical treatment of a syringomyelia associated with an idiopathic arachnoid malformation disclosed by preoperative MRI,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 552–555, 2004.
- R. K. Osenbach, J. C. Godersky, V. C. Traynelis, and R. D. Schelper, “Intradural extramedullary cysts of the spinal canal: clinical presentation, radiographic diagnosis, and surgical management,” Neurosurgery, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 1992.
- G. Perret, D. Green, and J. Keller, “Diagnosis and treatment of intradural arachnoid cysts of the thoracic spine,” Radiology, vol. 79, pp. 425–429, 1962.
- P. Teng and N. Rudner, “Multiple arachnoid diverticula,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 348–356, 1960.
- A. Fortuna, E. La Torre, and P. Ciappetta, “Arachnoid diverticula: a unitary approach to spinal cysts communicating with the subarachnoid space,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 39, no. 3-4, pp. 259–268, 1977.
- D. P. Beall, D. J. Googe, R. L. Emery et al., “Extramedullary intradural spinal tumors: a pictorial review,” Current Problems in Diagnostic Radiology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 185–198, 2007.
- J. L. Dietemann, F. M. M. de la Palavesa, B. Kastler, J. M. Wafter, and E. Buchheit, “Thoracic intradural arachnoid cyst: possible pitfalls with myelo-CT and MR,” Neuroradiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 90–91, 1991.
- C. H. Rabb, J. G. McComb, C. Raffel, and J. G. Kennedy, “Spinal arachnoid cysts in the pediatric age group: an association with neural tube defects,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 369–372, 1992.
- I. J. Barrenechea, J. B. Lesser, A. L. Gidekel, L. Turjanski, and N. I. Perin, “Diagnosis and treatment of spinal cord herniation: a combined experience,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 294–302, 2006.
- A. Takeuchi, K. Miyamoto, S. Sugiyama, M. Saitou, H. Hosoe, and K. Shimizu, “Spinal arachnoid cysts associated with syringomyelia: report of two cases and a review of the literature,” Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 207–211, 2003.
- L. T. Holly and U. Batzdorf, “Syringomyelia associated with intradural arachnoid cysts,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 2006.
- P. W. A. Willems, W. M. van den Bergh, and W. P. Vandertop, “An arachnoid cyst presenting as an intramedullary tumour,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 508–510, 2000.
Copyright © 2009 Laura Moschettoni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.