Case Report | Open Access
Gianluigi Longobardi, Immacolata Pagano, Umberto Sisalli, Maurizio Foresti, Valentina Poddi, "Extraosseous Cemento-Ossifying Fibroma of the Cheek", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2009, Article ID 493190, 3 pages, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3814/2009/493190
Extraosseous Cemento-Ossifying Fibroma of the Cheek
Background. Cemento-ossifying fibroma (COF) is a relatively rare tumor of the maxillary bones, classified among the fibro-osseous lesions Feller et al. (2004). The lesion that develops appears within the bone, although in some cases, it involves the soft tissues Kaufmann et al. (1999), Jung et al. (1999). In literature there is not report of COF in the thickness of the cheek. Methods. A 24-year-old Caucasian woman presented a hard mass of 1.5 cm in the thickness of the right cheek; no signs of damaged tissues were present. Radiographically all the mass appeared radiopaque as bone, and well demarcated with an evident capsule, without invasing the adjacent structures. The lesion was resected en bloc. Result. Pathological examination of the excised mass revealed an encapsulated cemento-ossifying fibroma that did not invade the adjacent tissues. The case was resolved with no complicance and with restitutio ad integrum. Conclusion. Typically, the unusual characterisitcs of a pathology get difficult as for its diagnosis and therapy. This is a case report of a rare cemento-ossifying fibroma of the cheek. Clinical and instrumental examinations exclude a malignant pathology and lead to an appropriate conservative surgical therapy. Only the histological examination confirmed the clinical diagnosis of extraosseous COF.
- C. A. Waldron, “Fibro-osseous lesions of the jaws,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 828–835, 1993.
- L. Su, D. R. Weathers, and C. A. Waldron, “Distinguishing features of focal cemento-osseous dysplasias and cemento-ossifying fibromas—I. A pathologic spectrum of 316 cases,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 301–309, 1997.
- L. Barnes, J. W. Eveson, P. Reichart, and D. Sidransky, Eds., World Health Organization Classification of Head and Neck Tumours, L. Barnes, J. W. Eveson, P. Reichart, and D. Sidransky, Eds., WHO, Lyon, France, 2005.
- J. Bernier, “Changes in bone and dental cementum in periodontal diseases,” Médecine et Hygiène, vol. 10, no. 230, p. 474, 1952.
- B. Çakir and N. Karadayi, “Ossifying fibroma in the nasopharynx. A case report,” Clinical Imaging, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 290–292, 1991.
- G. Brademann, J. A. Werner, U. Jänig, H. M. Mehdorn, and H. Rudert, “Cemento-ossifying fibroma of the petromastoid region: case report and review of the literature,” The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 152–155, 1997.
- R. A. Kaufmann, R. F. Padmore, J. A. Ridge, and C. D. Friedman, “Primary extraosseous cemento-ossifying fibroma of the auricle,” Head & Neck, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 578–581, 1999.
- S. L. Jung, K. H. Choi, Y. H. Park, H. C. Song, and M. S. Kwon, “Cemento-ossifying fibroma presenting as a mass of the parapharyngeal and masticator space,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1744–1746, 1999.
- M. Galdeano Arenas, J. I. Crespo Pinilla, R. Alvarez Otero, A. Espeso Ferrero, and A. Verrier Hernández, “Cemento-ossifying fibroma of mandibular gingiva: single case report,” Medicina Oral, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 177–179, 2004.
- M. A. Keefe, R. Martín-Granizo, A. Sanchez-Cuellar, and F. Falahat, “Cemento-ossifying fibroma of the upper gingivae,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 122, no. 5, p. 775, 2000.
- M. Gelabert-González, J. Fernández-Villa, E. Pintos-Martínez, and A. García-Allut, “Cemento-ossifying fibroma of the skull,” Neurocirugia, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 495–497, 2002.
- Z. Selmani, J. Anttila, J. Mertakorpi, J. Ilomäki, and N. Ashammakhi, “Cemento-ossifying fibroma of the ethmoidal sinus in a child presenting with isolated pain in the nasal region,” The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 215–217, 2004.
- Y. Fujimoto, M. Katoh, M. Miyata, T. Kawai, K. Saito, and M. Morita, “Cystic cemento-ossifying fibroma of the ethmoidal cells. (A case report),” The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, vol. 101, no. 9, pp. 946–952, 1987.
- C. Yazgan, S. Fitoz, P. Atasoy, and S. Akyar, “Case report: cemento-ossifying fibroma of the ethmoidal sinus presenting with exophthalmos,” Tanısal ve Girişimsel Radyoloji, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 192–194, 2003.
- D. J. J. Park, N. R. Miller, and W. R. Green, “Ossifying fibromyxoid tumor of the orbit,” Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 87–91, 2006.
Copyright © 2009 Gianluigi Longobardi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.