Case Report | Open Access
Ichiro Akagi, Masao Miyashita, Masayoshi Hashimoto, Hiroshi Makino, Tsutomu Nomura, Nobutoshi Hagiwara, Ken Takahashi, Takashi Tajiri, "Enterolith Small-Bowel Obstruction Caused by Crohn's Disease", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2009, Article ID 653965, 4 pages, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3814/2009/653965
Enterolith Small-Bowel Obstruction Caused by Crohn's Disease
We herein report on the successful surgical treatment of Crohn's disease with enteroliths formed in the ileum. A 58-year-old man presented with abdominal colicky pain, and long-standing constipation. He was diagnosed as ileus due to enteroliths and was initially managed conservatively, but improvement was not observed either clinically or on radio imaging. We, therefore, performed a laparotomy, which revealed Crohn's disease with enteroliths in the ileum. Because the enteroliths in the ileum were not mobile and could not be broken manually, we carried out a segmental bowel resection with the removal of the enteroliths. The pathology report revealed Crohn's disease with enteroliths. Intestinal obstruction caused by enteroliths associated with Crohn's disease occurs rarely, and is difficult to be diagnosed and managed.
- H. K. Mendes Ribeiro and D. J. Nolan, “Enterolithiasis in Crohn's disease,” Abdominal Imaging, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 526–529, 2000.
- I. Katz and R. M. Fischer, “Enteroliths complicating regional enteritis; a report of two cases,” The American Journal of Roentgenology, Radium Therapy, and Nuclear Medicine, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 653–661, 1957.
- R. M. Zeit, “Enterolithiasis associated with ileal perforation in Crohn's disease,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 662–664, 1979.
- M. L. Paige, G. G. Ghahremani, and J. J. Brosnan, “Laminated radiopaque enteroliths: diagnostic clues to intestinal pathology,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 432–437, 1987.
- A. Brettner and E. J. Euphrat, “Radiological significance of primary enterolithiasis,” Radiology, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 283–288, 1970.
- B. R. Javors and D. Bryk, “Enterolithiasis: a report of four cases,” Gastrointestinal Radiology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 359–362, 1983.
- P. V. Lopez and J. P. Welch, “Enterolith intestinal obstruction owing to acquired and congenital diverticulosis. Report of two cases and review of the literature,” Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 941–944, 1991.
- B. Hayee, H. N. Khan, T. Al-Mishlab, and J. F. McPartlin, “A case of enterolith small bowel obstruction and jejunal diverticulosis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 883–884, 2003.
- J. M. Wide, C. F. Loughran, and B. S. Shoker, “Crohn's disease, calculi and cancer: a report of two cases,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 651–653, 1996.
- A. Van Gossum, F. Gay, and M. Cremer, “Enteroliths and Crohn's disease stricture treated by transendoscopic balloon dilation,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 42, no. 6, p. 597, 1995.
- J. G. Yuan, D. B. Sachar, K. Koganei, and A. J. Greenstein, “Enterolithiasis, refractory anemia, and strictures of Crohn's disease,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 105–108, 1994.
- S. R. Shah, A. Bhaduri, D. C. Desai, P. Abraham, and A. Joshi, “Obstructing enterolith as presenting feature in Crohn's disease,” Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 22, no. 1, p. 24, 2003.
- J. M. Schut and W. M. Mallens, “Calcified enteroliths in regional enteritis,” Diagnostic Imaging in Clinical Medicine, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 146–150, 1986.
- H. K. Yang and P. F. Fondacaro, “Enterolith ileus: a rare complication of duodenal diverticula,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 1846–1848, 1992.
- D. Bowley and C. A. Royle, “Enterolith ileus as a complication of small bowel diverticulosis,” Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps, vol. 143, no. 3, p. 169, 1997.
- R. Bruni, L. Chirco, A. R. Lemeni, and S. Petrocca, “Intermittent small bowel obstruction by jejunal enteroliths in a patient with a Crohn's disease stricture,” Chirurgia Italiana, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 903–905, 2002.
- L. M. Harris, C. M. Volpe, and R. J. Doerr, “Small bowel obstruction secondary to enterolith impaction complicating jejunal diverticulitis,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 1538–1540, 1997.
- E. Shocket and S. A. Simon, “Small bowel obstruction due to enterolith (bezoar) formed in a duodenal diverticulum: a case report and review of the literature,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 77, no. 9, pp. 621–624, 1982.
- P. J. Klingler, M. H. Seelig, N. R. Floch, S. A. Branton, and P. P. Metzger, “Small-intestinal enteroliths—unusual cause of small-intestinal obstruction: report of three cases,” Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 676–679, 1999.
- P. Steenvoorde, P. Schaardenburgh, and J. H. Viersma, “Enterolith ileus as a complication of jejunal diverticulosis: two case reports and a review of the literature,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 57–60, 2003.
- C. M. Fronticelli, P. Bellora, A. Ferrero, G. C. Anselmetti, G. Passarino, and P. Burlo, “Complicated jejunal diverticulosis: report of a case,” Surgery Today, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 192–195, 1996.
- Y. Yağmur, M. Aldemir, H. Büyükbayram, and I. Taçyıldız, “Multiple jejunal diverticulitis with perforation in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus: report of a case,” Surgery Today, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 163–166, 2004.
Copyright © 2009 Ichiro Akagi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.