Research Article | Open Access
J. L. López, S. Abbasbandy, R. López-Ruiz, "Formulas for the Amplitude of the van der Pol Limit Cycle through the Homotopy Analysis Method", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2009, Article ID 854060, 7 pages, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3814/2009/854060
Formulas for the Amplitude of the van der Pol Limit Cycle through the Homotopy Analysis Method
The limit cycle of the van der Pol oscillator, , is studied in the plane by applying the homotopy analysis method. A recursive set of formulas that approximate the amplitude and form of this limit cycle for the whole range of the parameter is obtained. These formulas generate the amplitude with an error less than 0.1%. To our knowledge, this is the first time where an analytical approximation of the amplitude of the van der Pol limit cycle, with validity from the weakly up to the strongly nonlinear regime, is given.
- B. van der Pol, “On relaxation oscillations,” Philosophical Magazine, vol. 2, pp. 978–992, 1926.
- A. A. Andronov, A. A. Vitt, and S. E. Khaikin, Theory of Oscillators, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1989.
- B. van der Pol and M. van der Mark, “The beating of the heart considered as relaxation oscillation and an electric model of the heart,” L'Onde électrique, vol. 7, pp. 365–392, 1928.
- R. López-Ruiz and Y. Pomeau, “Transition between two oscillation modes,” Physical Review E, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. R3820–R3823, 1997.
- K. Odani, “The limit cycle of the van der Pol equation is not algebraic,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 146–152, 1995.
- A. W. Jordan and P. Smith, Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equations, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1st edition, 1977.
- Y. Ye, Theory of Limit Cycles, vol. 66 of Translations of Mathematical Monographs, American Mathematical Society, Boston, Mass, USA, 1986.
- S. J. Liao, The proposed homotopy analysis technique for the solutions of non-linear problems, Ph.D. thesis, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, 1992.
- S. J. Liao, Beyond Perturbation: Introduction to the Homotopy Analysis Method, Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2003.
- S.-J. Liao, “An analytic approximate approach for free oscillations of self-excited systems,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 271–280, 2004.
- W. Wu and S.-J. Liao, “Solving solitary waves with discontinuity by means of the homotopy analysis method,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 177–185, 2005.
- T. Hayat and M. Khan, “Homotopy solutions for a generalized second-grade fluid past a porous plate,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 395–405, 2005.
- T. Hayat, M. Khan, and M. Ayub, “On non-linear flows with slip boundary condition,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1012–1029, 2005.
- T. Hayat, M. Khan, M. Sajid, and M. Ayub, “Steady flow of an Oldroyd 8-constant fluid between coaxial cylinders in a porous medium,” Journal of Porous Media, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 709–722, 2006.
- T. Hayat, M. Khan, and M. Ayub, “The effect of the slip condition on flows of an Oldroyd 6-constant fluid,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 202, no. 2, pp. 402–413, 2007.
- M. Khan, Z. Abbas, and T. Hayat, “Analytic solution for flow of Sisko fluid through a porous medium,” Transport in Porous Media, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 23–37, 2008.
- S. Abbasbandy, “The application of homotopy analysis method to solve a generalized Hirota-Satsuma coupled KdV equation,” Physics Letters A, vol. 361, no. 6, pp. 478–483, 2007.
- S. Abbasbandy, “Homotopy analysis method for heat radiation equations,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 380–387, 2007.
- S. Abbasbandy, Y. Tan, and S. J. Liao, “Newton-homotopy analysis method for nonlinear equations,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 188, no. 2, pp. 1794–1800, 2007.
- Y. Tan and S. Abbasbandy, “Homotopy analysis method for quadratic Riccati differential equation,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 539–546, 2008.
- S. Abbasbandy, J. L. López, and R. López-Ruiz, “The homotopy analysis method and the Liénard equation,” http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.3916.
- K. Odani, “On the limit cycle of the Liénard equation,” Archivum Mathematicum, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2000.
- J. L. López and R. López-Ruiz, “Approximating the amplitude and form of limit cycles in the weakly nonlinear regime of Liénard systems,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1307–1317, 2007.
- J. L. López and R. López-Ruiz, “The limit cycles of Liénard equations in the weakly nonlinear regime,” to appear in Far East Journal of Dynamical Systems (2009); also available at http://arxiv.org/abs/nlin/0605025.
- M. L. Cartwright, “Van der Pol's equation for relaxation oscillation,” in Contributions to the Theory of Non-Linear Oscillations II, S. Lefschetz, Ed., vol. 29 of Annals of Mathematics Studies, pp. 3–18, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1952.
- J. L. López and R. López-Ruiz, “The limit cycles of Liénard equations in the strongly nonlinear regime,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 747–756, 2000.
- R. López-Ruiz and J. L. López, “Bifurcation curves of limit cycles in some Liénard systems,” International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 971–980, 2000.
Copyright © 2009 J. L. López et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.