Case Report | Open Access
Shaheen Zakaria, Jennifer L. Herrick, Carol Reynolds, Nho V. Tran, John H. Donohue, Judy C. Boughey, "Invasive Breast Cancer after Mastectomy and Autologous Breast Reconstruction", Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2009, Article ID 963818, 6 pages, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3814/2009/963818
Invasive Breast Cancer after Mastectomy and Autologous Breast Reconstruction
Recurrence or new breast cancer after mastectomy and autologous breast reconstruction is a rare occurrence. We present a case series of four patients with this rare phenomenon and describe their presentation, workup, and surgical and adjuvant therapy. We discuss the possible physiologic mechanisms leading to tumor recurrence in a reconstructed breast along with literature review. A new palpable mass in a reconstructed breast mound warrants tissue diagnosis to avoid delay in treatment. The surgical options for breast cancer in tissue reconstructions depend on the location and extent of the tumor, involvement of the vascular pedicle, stage of disease, and adjuvant therapy options.
- S. S. Kroll, M. A. Schusterman, H. E. Tadjalli, S. E. Singletary, and F. C. Ames, “Risk of recurrence after treatment of early breast cancer with skin-sparing mastectomy,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 193–197, 1997.
- R. M. Simmons, S. K. Fish, L. Gayle et al., “Local and distant recurrence rates in skin-sparing mastectomies compared with non-skin-sparing mastectomies,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 676–681, 1999.
- L. A. Newman, H. M. Kuerer, K. K. Hunt et al., “Presentation, treatment, and outcome of local recurrence after skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 620–626, 1998.
- S. S. Kroll, A. Khoo, S. E. Singletary et al., “Local recurrence risk after skin-sparing and conventional mastectomy: a 6-year follow-up,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 421–425, 1999.
- G. W. Carlson, T. M. Styblo, R. H. Lyles et al., “Local recurrence risk after skin-sparing mastectomy: tumor biology or surgical conservatism?,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 108–112, 2003.
- H. Medina-Franco, L. O. Vasconez, R. J. Fix et al., “Factors associated with local recurrence after skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction for invasive breast cancer,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 235, no. 6, pp. 814–819, 2002.
- P. M. Godfrey, N. V. Godfrey, and M. C. Romita, “Immediate autogenous breast reconstruction in clinically advanced disease,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1039–1044, 1995.
- T. M. Styblo, M. M. Lewis, G. W. Carlson et al., “Immediate breast reconstruction for stage III breast cancer using transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 375–380, 1996.
- M. A. Howard, K. Polo, A. L. Pusic et al., “Breast cancer local recurrence after mastectomy and TRAM flap reconstruction: incidence and treatment options,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1381–1386, 2006.
- R. B. Noone, T. G. Frazier, G. C. Noone, N. P. Blanchet, J. B. Murphy, and D. Rose, “Recurrence of breast carcinoma following immediate reconstruction: a 13-year review,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 96–108, 1994.
- S. A. Slavin, S. M. Love, and R. M. Goldwyn, “Recurrent breast cancer following immediate reconstruction with myocutaneous flaps,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 1191–1207, 1994.
- W. L. Donegan, C. M. Perez-Mesa, and F. R. Watson, “A biostatistical study of locally recurrent breast carcinoma,” Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 529–540, 1966.
- J. P. Crowe, Jr., N. H. Gordon, A. R. Antunez, R. R. Shenk, C. A. Hubay, and J. M. Shuck, “Local-regional breast cancer recurrence following mastectomy,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 429–432, 1991.
- M. D. Gilliland, R. M. Barton, and E. M. Copeland, III, “The implications of local recurrence of breast cancer as the first site of therapeutic failure,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 284–287, 1983.
- W. J. Aberizk, B. Silver, I. C. Henderson, B. Cady, and J. R. Harris, “The use of radiotherapy for treatment of isolated locoregional recurrence of breast carcinoma after mastectomy,” Cancer, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1214–1218, 1986.
- K. J. Halverson, C. A. Perez, R. R. Kuske, D. M. Garcia, J. R. Simpson, and B. Fineberg, “Survival following locoregional recurrence of breast cancer: univariate and multivariate analysis,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 285–291, 1992.
- J. Willner, I. C. Kiricuta, and O. Kölbl, “Locoregional recurrence of breast cancer following mastectomy: always a fatal event? Results of univariate and multivariate analysis,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 853–863, 1997.
- N. A. Janjan, M. D. McNeese, A. U. Buzdar, E. D. Montague, and M. J. Oswald, “Management of locoregional recurrent breast cancer,” Cancer, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 1552–1556, 1986.
- H. N. Langstein, M.-H. Cheng, S. E. Singletary et al., “Breast cancer recurrence after immediate reconstruction: patterns and significance,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 712–720, 2003.
- G. W. Carlson, N. Grossl, M. M. Lewis, J. R. Temple, and T. M. Styblo, “Preservation of the inframammary fold: what are we leaving behind?,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 447–450, 1996.
- F. E. Barton, Jr., J. M. English, W. B. Kingsley, and M. Fietz, “Glandular excision in total glandular mastectomy and modified radical mastectomy: a comparison,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 389–394, 1991.
- L. K. Diaz, E. L. Wiley, and L. A. Venta, “Are malignant cells displaced by large-gauge needle core biopsy of the breast?,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 173, no. 5, pp. 1303–1313, 1999.
- A. P. Salas, M. A. Helvie, E. G. Wilkins et al., “Is mammography useful in screening for local recurrences in patients with TRAM flap breast reconstruction after mastectomy for multifocal DCIS?,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 456–463, 1998.
- R. K. Devon, M. A. Rosen, C. Mies, and S. G. Orel, “Breast reconstruction with a transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap: spectrum of normal and abnormal MR imaging findings,” Radiographics, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1287–1299, 2004.
- B. J. Kang, J. I. Jung, C. Park et al., “Breast MRI findings after modified radical mastectomy and transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap in patients with breast cancer,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 784–791, 2005.
- F. Schwaibold, B. L. Fowble, L. J. Solin, D. J. Schultz, and R. L. Goodman, “The results of radiation therapy for isolated local regional recurrence after mastectomy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 299–310, 1991.
- J. C. Boughey, M. I. Ross, G. V. Babiera et al., “Sentinel lymph node surgery in locally recurrent breast cancer,” Clinical Breast Cancer, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 248–253, 2006.
- M. Intra, P. Veronesi, O. D. Gentilini et al., “Sentinel lymph node biopsy is feasible even after total mastectomy,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 175–179, 2007.
Copyright © 2009 Shaheen Zakaria et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.