- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 896090, 6 pages
Biomass and Yield of Peanut Grown on Tropical Soil Amended with Sewage Sludge Contaminated with Lead
1Faculdade de Tecnologia de Jaboticabal, Via de Acesso Professor Paulo Donato Castellane, s/n, 14884-900 Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil
2Embrapa Amazônia Oriental, Travessa Dr. Enéas Pinheiro, s/n, Marco, Caixa Postal 48, 66095-903 Belém, PA, Brazil
3Departamento de Tecnologia, Faculdade de Ciências Agrárias e Veterinárias, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Via de Acesso Professor Paulo Donato Castellane, s/n, 14884-900 Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil
Received 6 February 2012; Revised 7 April 2012; Accepted 3 May 2012
Academic Editor: Giancarlo Renella
Copyright © 2012 Fábio Camilotti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. A. Goyer, “Lead toxicity: current concerns,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 100, pp. 177–187, 1993.
- J. Markusy and A. B. McBratney, “A review of the contamination of soil with lead. I. Origin, occurrence and chemical form of soil lead,” Progress in Environmental Science, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 291–318, 2000.
- J. F. Parr, E. Epstein, and G. B. Willson, “Composting sewage sludge for land application,” Agriculture and Environment, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 123–137, 1978.
- Y. Wei and Y. Liu, “Effects of sewage sludge compost application on crops and cropland in a 3-year field study,” Chemosphere, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 1257–1265, 2005.
- M. J. McLaughlin, D. R. Parker, and J. M. Clarke, “Metals and micronutrients—food safety issues,” Field Crops Research, vol. 60, no. 1-2, pp. 143–163, 1999.
- R. P. Singh and M. Agrawal, “Potential benefits and risks of land application of sewage sludge,” Waste Management, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 347–358, 2008.
- L. C. Tasso Júnior, M. O. Marques, A. Franco et al., “Yield and quality of sugar cane cultivated in sewage sludge, vinasse and mineral fertilization supplied soil,” Engenharia Agrícola, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 276–283, 2007 (Portuguese).
- F. Camilotti, M. O. Marques, I. Andrioli, A. R. Silva, L. C. Tasso Júnior, and F. O. Nobile, “Heavy metals accumulation in sugarcane after application in sewage sludge and vinasse,” Engenharia Agrícola, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 284–293, 2007 (Portuguese).
- K. S. Balkcom, J. F. Adams, and D. L. Hartzog, “Peanut yield response to poultry litter and municipal sludge application,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 34, no. 5-6, pp. 801–814, 2003.
- B. van Raij, H. Cantarella, J. A. Quaggio, and A. M. C. Furlani, Eds., Recomendações de Adubação e Calagem Para o Estado de São Paulo, Instituto Agronômico/Fundação IAC, Campinas, Brazil, 1997.
- S. Mohanty, N. K. Paikaray, and A. R. Rajan, “Availability and uptake of phosphorus from organic manures in groundnut (Arachis hypogea L.)-corn (Zea mays L.) sequence using radio tracer technique,” Geoderma, vol. 133, no. 3-4, pp. 225–230, 2006.
- L. D. King and L. M. Hajjar, “The residual effect of sewage sludge on heavy metal content of tobacco and peanut,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 738–748, 1990.
- W. Bettiol, O. A. Camargo, J. A. H. Galvão, and R. Ghini, “Impacto ambiental do uso agrícola do lodo de esgoto: descrição do estudo,” in Lodo de Esgoto: Impactos Ambientais na Agricultura, W. Bettiol and O. A. Camargo, Eds., pp. 17–23, Embrapa Meio Ambiente, Jaguariúna, Brazil, 2003.
- A. Walkley, “A critical examination of a rapid method for determining organic carbon in soils – effect of variations in digestion conditions and of inorganic soil constituents,” Soil Science, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 251–264, 1947.
- B. van Raij, J. A. Quaggio, and N. M. Silva, “Extraction of phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium from soils by an ion-exchange resin procedure,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 547–566, 1986.
- J. A. Quaggio, B. van Raij, and E. Malavolta, “Alternative use of the SMP-buffer solution to determine lime requirement of soils,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 245–260, 1985.
- Cetesb—Companhia Ambiental do Estado de São Paulo, “Aplicação de lodos de sistemas de tratamento biológico em áreas agrícolas – critérios para projeto e operação,” Norma Técnica P4.230, Cetesb, São Paulo, Brazil, 1999.
- R. O. Miller, “Nitric-perchloric acid wet digestion in an open vessel,” in Handbook of Reference Methods for Plant Analysis, Y. P. Kalra, Ed., pp. 57–61, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1998.
- D. R. Sauerbeck and P. Styperek, “Evaluation of methods for assessing the Cd and Zn availability from different soils and sources,” in Chemical Methods for Assessing Bio-Available Metal in Sludges and Soils, R. Leschber, R. D. Davies, and P. L’Hermite, Eds., pp. 49–66, Elsevier, London, UK, 1985.
- H. C. Harris, “The effect on the growth of peanuts of nutrient deficiencies in the root and the pegging zone,” Plant Physiology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 150–161, 1949.
- J. Nakagawa, I. Imaizumi, and C. A. V. Rosseto, “Effects of some phosphorus sources and liming on peanut production,” Pesquisa Agropecuária Brasileira, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 421–431, 1993 (Portuguese).
- M. S. Aulakh, B. S. Kabba, H. S. Baddesha, G. S. Bahl, and M. P. S. Gill, “Crop yields and phosphorus fertilizer transformations after 25 years of applications to a subtropical soil under groundnut-based cropping systems,” Field Crops Research, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 283–296, 2003.
- F. S. O. Rodrigues Filho, C. T. Feitosa, and M. A. N. Gerin, “Deficiency of macronutrients in peanuts,” Bragantia, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 305–312, 1988 (Portuguese).
- D. L. Lake, “Sludge disposal to land,” in Heavy Metals in Wastewater and Sludge Treatment Processes, J. N. Lester, Ed., pp. 91–130, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1987.
- J. Barceló and Ch. Poschenrieder, “Respuestas de las plantas a la contaminación por metales pesados,” Suelo y Planta, vol. 2, pp. 345–361, 1992.
- M. Wierzbicka, “Comparison of lead tolerance in Allium cepa with other plant species,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 41–52, 1999.
- S. Verma and R. S. Dubey, “Lead toxicity induces lipid peroxidation and alters the activities of antioxidant enzymes in growing rice plants,” Plant Science, vol. 164, no. 4, pp. 645–655, 2003.
- G. Tung and P. J. Temple, “Uptake and localization of lead in corn (Zea mays L.) seedlings, a study by histochemical and electron microscopy,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 188, no. 2-3, pp. 71–85, 1996.
- I. V. Seregin and V. B. Ivanov, “Histochemical investigation of cadmium and lead distribution in plants,” Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 915–921, 1997.
- I. V. Seregin and V. B. Ivanov, “Physiological aspects of cadmium and lead toxic effects on higher plants,” Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 523–544, 2001.
- M. D. Jarvis and D. W. M. Leung, “Chelated lead transport in Pinus radiata: an ultrastructural study,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 21–32, 2002.
- P. Sharma and R. S. Dubey, “Lead toxicity in plants,” Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 35–52, 2005.
- P. Brown, I. Atly Jefcoat, D. Parrish, S. Gill, and E. Graham, “Evaluation of the adsorptive capacity of peanut hull pellets for heavy metals in solution,” Advances in Environmental Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2000.
- S. Chamarthy, C. W. Seo, and W. E. Marshall, “Adsorption of selected toxic metals by modified peanut shells,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 593–597, 2001.
- S. Ricordel, S. Taha, I. Cisse, and G. Dorange, “Heavy metals removal by adsorption onto peanut husks carbon: characterization, kinetic study and modeling,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 389–401, 2001.
- M. R. Borges and E. L. M. Coutinho, “Heavy metals in soil after sewage sludge application. II – Availability,” Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 557–568, 2004 (Portuguese).