Multimedia Transmission over Emerging Wireless TechnologiesView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Ioannis Papapanagiotou, Georgios S. Paschos, Michael Devetsikiotis, "A Comparison Performance Analysis of QoS WLANs: Approaches with Enhanced Features", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 023817, 13 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/23817
A Comparison Performance Analysis of QoS WLANs: Approaches with Enhanced Features
The main contribution of this work is to compare and enhance known methods for performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11e MAC layer, such as the use of Markov chains, queuing theory, and probabilistic analysis. It is the first paper that bases its outputs upon comparison of metrics such as complexity, flexibility, and accuracy, leading to the novel use of a metamodeling comparison. For the analysis, complexity theory and the -square distance method for accuracy are used. In addition, the proposed analyses carry by themselves scientific interest, because they are extended enhancements with the latest EDCA parameters. A form of the PMF of the MAC delay and first-order moments are found using the PGF complex frequency domain function. The analyses incorporate a Gaussian erroneous channel in order to reflect the real conditions of the MAC layer.
- “Part 11: Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specification,” August 1999, IEEE.
- “Medium access control (MAC) enhancements for quality of service (QoS),” July 2005, IEEE.
- I. Politis, M. Tsagkaropoulos, S. Kotsopoulos, T. Dagiuklas, and P. Stavroulakis, “On the QoS assesessment of video sessions in heterogeneous 3G-WLANS networks with seamless and secure mobility support,” Journal of China Communications, vol. 4, no. 1, 2007, special issue on Communications and Information Security.
- G. Bianchi, “Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 535–547, 2000.
- C. H. Foh and J. W. Tantra, “Comments on IEEE 802.11 saturation throughput analysis with freezing of backoff counters,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 130–132, 2005.
- Y. Xiao, “Performance analysis of IEEE 802.11e EDCF under saturation condition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '04), vol. 1, pp. 170–174, Paris, France, June 2004.
- P. E. Engelstad and O. N. Østerbø, “Delay and throughput analysis of IEEE 802.11e EDCA with starvation prediction,” in Proceedings of the 30th Anniversary IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN '05), pp. 647–655, Sydney, Australia, November 2005.
- G. S. Paschos, I. Papapanagiotou, S. A. Kotsopoulos, and G. K. Karagiannidis, “A new MAC protocol with pseudo-TDMA behavior for supporting quality of service in 802.11 wireless LANs,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2006, Article ID 65836, 9 pages, 2006.
- Y. C. Tay and K. C. Chua, “A capacity analysis for the IEEE 802.11 MAC protocol,” Wireless Networks, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 159–171, 2001.
- G. Bianchi and I. Tinnirello, “Remarks on IEEE 802.11 DCF performance analysis,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 765–767, 2005.
- J. Choi, J. Yoo, and C.-K. Kim, “A novel performance analysis model for an IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 335–337, 2006.
- J. Hui and M. Devetsikiotis, “A unified model for the performance analysis of IEEE 802.11e EDCA,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1498–1510, 2005.
- Q. Ni, T. Li, T. Turletti, and Y. Xiao, “Saturation throughput analysis of error-prone 802.11 wireless networks,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 945–956, 2005.
- T. Li, Q. Ni, T. Turletti, and Y. Xiao, “Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11e block ACK scheme in a noisy channel,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Broadband Networks (BROADNETS '05), vol. 1, pp. 551–557, Boston, Mass, USA, October 2005.
- A. Banchs and L. Vollero, “A delay model for IEEE 802.11e EDCA,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 508–510, 2005.
- J. Abate and W. Whitt, “Numerical inversion of probability generating functions,” Operations Research Letters, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 245–251, 1992.
Copyright © 2007 Ioannis Papapanagiotou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.