Multimedia Transmission over Emerging Wireless TechnologiesView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Hannes Persson, Anna Brunstrom, Tony Ottosson, "Utilizing Cross-Layer Information to Improve Performance in JPEG2000 Decoding", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 024758, 10 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/24758
Utilizing Cross-Layer Information to Improve Performance in JPEG2000 Decoding
We focus on wireless multimedia communication and investigate how cross-layer information can be used to improve performance at the application layer, using JPEG2000 as an example. The cross-layer information is in the form of soft information from the physical layer. The soft information, which is supplied by a soft decision demodulator, yields reliability measures for the received bits and is fed into two soft input iterative JPEG2000 image decoders. When errors are detected with the error detecting mechanisms in JPEG2000, the decoders utilize the soft information to point out likely transmission errors. Hence, the decoders can correct errors and increase the image quality without making time-consuming retransmissions. We believe that the proposed decoding method utilizing soft information is suitable for a general IP-based network and that it keeps the principles of a layered structure of the protocol stack intact. Further, experimental results with images transmitted over a simulated wireless channel show that a simple decoding algorithm that utilizes soft information can give high gains in image quality compared to the standard hard-decision decoding.
- Y. Wang and Q.-F. Zhu, “Error control and concealment for video communication: a review,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 974–997, 1998.
- I. Moccagatta, S. Soudagar, J. Liang, and H. Chen, “Error-resilient coding in JPEG-2000 and MPEG-4,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 899–914, 2000.
- C. Guillemot and P. Siohan, “Joint source-channel decoding of variable-length codes with soft information: a survey,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2005, no. 6, pp. 906–927, 2005.
- C. Guillemot and P. Christ, “Joint source-channel coding as an element of a QoS framework for ‘4G’ wireless multimedia,” Computer Communications, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 762–779, 2004.
- W. Xiang, S. S. Pietrobon, and S. A. Barbulescu, “Iterative source-channel decoding for robust image transmission,” in Proceedings 4th Australian Communications Theory Workshop (AusCTW '03), pp. 61–65, Melbourne, Australia, February 2003.
- “JPEG2000 Part 1—JPEG2000 Final Committee Draft Version 1.0, ISO/IEC 15444-1,” March 2000.
- A. Brunstrom and T. Ottosson, “The introduction of soft information in IP-based wireless networks,” in Proceedings of Nordic Radio Symposium (NRS '01), Nynäshamn, Sweden, April 2001.
- L.-Å. Larzon, M. Degermark, S. Pink, L.-E. Jonsson, and G. Fairhurst, “The lightweight user datagram protocol (UDPLite),” Network Working Group, RFC 3828, July 2004.
- S. Alfredsson and A. Brunstrom, “TCP-L: allowing bit errors in wireless TCP,” in Proceedings of IST Mobile and Wireless Communications Summit, Aveiro, Portugal, July 2003.
- E. Kohler, M. Handley, and S. Floyd, “Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP),” Internet Engineering Task Force, Internet draft expires, March 2006.
- M. Welzl, “Passing corrupt data across network layers: an overview of recent developments and issues,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2005, no. 2, pp. 242–247, 2005.
- A. Skodras, C. Christopoulos, and T. Ebrahimi, “The JPEG 2000 still image compression standard,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 36–58, 2001.
- D. S. Taubman and M. W. Marcellin, JPEG2000 Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards and Practice, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA, 2002.
- C. Berrou, “The ten-year-old turbo codes are entering into service,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 110–116, 2003.
- S. ten Brink, J. Speidel, and R.-H. Yan, “Iterative demapping and decoding for multilevel modulation,” in Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '98), vol. 1, pp. 579–584, Sydney, Australia, November 1998.
- J. Hagenauer, “The turbo principle: tutorial introduction and state of the art,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on Turbo-Codes, pp. 1–11, Brest, France, September 1997.
- M. Skoglund and T. Ottosson, “Soft multiuser decoding for vector quantization over a CDMA channel,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 327–337, 1998.
- M. Grangetto, E. Magli, and G. Olmo, “Error sensitivity data structures and retransmission strategies for robust JPEG 2000 wireless imaging,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 872–882, 2003.
- A. Natu and D. Taubman, “Unequal protection of JPEG2000 code-streams in wireless channels,” in Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '02), vol. 1, pp. 534–538, Taipei, Taiwan, November 2002.
- D. Nicholson, C. Lamy-Bergot, X. Naturel, and C. Poulliat, “JPEG 2000 backward compatible error protection with Reed-Solomon codes,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 855–860, 2003.
- H. Persson, A. Brunstrom, and T. Ottosson, “Utilizing soft information at the application layer: quality enhanced JPEG2000 decoding,” in Proceedings of Radio Vetenskap och Kommunikation (RVK '05), Linköping, Sweden, June 2005.
- H. Persson, A. Brunstrom, and T. Ottosson, “Utilizing soft information in image decoding,” in Proceedings of the 14th IEEE Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '03), vol. 3, pp. 2678–2682, Beijing, China, September 2003.
- S. Mérigeault and C. Lamy, “Concepts for exchanging extra information between protocol layers transparently for the standard protocol stack,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT '03), vol. 2, pp. 981–985, Tahiti, Papeete, French Polynesia, February-March 2003.
- L.-Å. Larzon, U. Bodin, and O. Schelén, “Hints and notifications,” in Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '02), vol. 2, pp. 635–641, Orlando, Fla, USA, March 2002.
- H. Zheng and J. Boyce, “An improved UDP protocol for video transmission over Internet-to-wireless networks,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 356–365, 2001.
- C. Lamy-Bergot and P. Vila, “Multiplex header compression for transparent cross-layer design,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Networking (ICN '04), pp. 1084–1089, Guadeloupe, French Carribean, March 2004.
- Q. Wang and M. A. Abu-Rgheff, “Cross-layer signalling for next-generation wireless systems,” in Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking (WCNC '03), vol. 2, pp. 1084–1089, New Orleans, La, USA, March 2003.
- G. Fairhurst and L. Wood, “Advice to link designers on link Automatic Repeat reQuest (ARQ),” Network Working Group, RFC 3366, August 2002.
Copyright © 2007 Hannes Persson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.