Toward the Next-Generation Peer-to-Peer ServicesView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
E. Ardizzone, L. Gatani, M. La Cascia, G. Lo Re, M. Ortolani, "Enhanced P2P Services Providing Multimedia Content", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 026070, 12 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/26070
Enhanced P2P Services Providing Multimedia Content
The retrieval facilities of most Peer-to-Peer (P2P) systems are limited to queries based on unique identifiers or small sets of keywords. Unfortunately, this approach is very inadequate and inefficient when a huge amount of multimedia resources is shared. To address this major limitation, we propose an original image and video sharing system, in which a user is able to interactively search interesting resources by means of content-based image and video retrieval techniques. In order to limit the network traffic load, maximizing the usefulness of each peer contacted in the query process, we also propose the adoption of an adaptive overlay routing algorithm, exploiting compact representations of the multimedia resources shared by each peer. Experimental results confirm the validity of the proposed approach, that is capable of dynamically adapting the network topology to peer interests, on the basis of query interactions among users.
- D. Milojicic, V. Kalogeraki, R. Lukose et al., “Peer-to-peer computing,” Tech. Rep. HPL-2002-57, HP Labs, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, 2002.
- C-Net News, “Napster among fastest-growing Net technologies,” 2000.
- Limewire, “The Gnutella protocol specification (ver. 0.4),” 2001, http://www9.limewire.com/developer/gnutella_protocol_0.4.pdf.
- E. Ardizzone, L. Gatani, M. La Cascia, G. Lo Re, and M. Ortolani, “Enhanced P2P services providing multimedia content,” in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM '06), pp. 637–646, San Diego, Calif, USA, December 2006.
- I. King, C. H. Ng, and K. C. Sia, “Distributed content-based visual information retrieval system on peer-to-peer networks,” ACM Transactions on Information Systems, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 477–501, 2004.
- W. Müller and A. Henrich, “Fast retrieval of high-dimensional feature vectors in P2P networks using compact peer data summaries,” in Proceedings of the 5th ACM SIGMM International Workshop on Multimedia Information Retrieval (MIR '03), pp. 79–86, Berkeley, Calif, USA, November 2003.
- I. Lee and L. Guan, “Content-based image retrieval with automated relevance feedback over distributed peer-to-peer network,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS '04), vol. 2, pp. 5–8, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, May 2004.
- M. Kacimi, K. Yétongnon, Y. Ma, and R. Chbeir, “HON-P2P: a cluster-based hybrid overlay network for multimedia object management,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS '05), vol. 1, pp. 578–584, Fukuoka, Japan, July 2005.
- L.-S. Wu, R. Akavipat, and F. Menczer, “6S: distributing crawling and searching across Web peers,” in Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Web Technologies, Applications, and Services (WTAS '05), pp. 159–164, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, July 2005.
- R. Datta, J. Li, and J. Z. Wang, “Content-based image retrieval: approaches and trends of the new age,” in Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGMM International Workshop on Multimedia Information Retrieval (MIR '05), pp. 253–262, Singapore, November 2005.
- A. Del Bimbo, Visual Information Retrieval, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- B. Günsel, A. M. Tekalp, and P. J. L. van Beek, “Content-based access to video objects: temporal segmentation, visual summarization, and feature extraction,” Signal Processing, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 261–280, 1998.
- Y. Deng, B. S. Manjunath, C. Kenney, M. S. Moore, and H. Shin, “An efficient color representation for image retrieval,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 140–147, 2001.
- E. Hadjidemetriou, M. D. Grossberg, and S. K. Nayar, “Multiresolution histograms and their use for recognition,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 831–847, 2004.
- S. Jeong, C. S. Won, and R. M. Gray, “Image retrieval using color histograms generated by Gauss mixture vector quantization,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 94, no. 1–3, pp. 44–66, 2004.
- E. Ardizzone and M. La Cascia, “Automatic video database indexing and retrieval,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 29–56, 1997.
- B. K. P. Horn and B. G. Schunck, “Determining optical flow,” Artificial Intelligence, vol. 17, no. 1–3, pp. 185–203, 1981.
- D. J. Watts and S. H. Strogatz, “Collective dynamics of ‘small-world’ networks,” Nature, vol. 393, no. 6684, pp. 440–442, 1998.
- B. H. Bloom, “Space/time trade-offs in hash coding with allowable errors,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 422–426, 1970.
- J. MacQueen, “Some methods for classification and analysis of multivariate data,” in Proceedings of 5th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, vol. 1, pp. 281–297, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1967.
- M. Halkidi, Y. Batistakis, and M. Vazirgiannis, “On clustering validation techniques,” Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, vol. 17, no. 2-3, pp. 107–145, 2001.
- N. R. Pal and J. C. Bezdek, “On cluster validity for the fuzzy c-means model,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 370–379, 1995.
- C. Ordonez, “Clustering binary data streams with K-means,” in Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGMOD Workshop on Research Issues in Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (DMKD '03), pp. 12–19, San Diego, Calif, USA, June 2003.
- S. Kirkpatrick, C. D. Gelatt Jr., and M. Vecchi, “Optimization by simulated annealing,” Science, vol. 220, no. 4598, pp. 671–680, 1983.
- M. Ripeanu, A. Iamnitchi, and I. Foster, “Mapping the Gnutella network,” IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 50–57, 2002.
- S. Saroiu, P. K. Gummadi, and S. D. Gribble, “Measurement study of peer-to-peer file sharing systems,” in Multimedia Computing and Networking, vol. 4673 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 156–170, San Jose, Calif, USA, January 2002.
- S. Sen and J. Wang, “Analyzing peer-to-peer traffic across large networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 219–232, 2004.
- L. Gatani, G. Lo Re, and L. Noto, “Efficient query routing in peer-to-peer networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Information Technology: Research and Education (ITRE '05), pp. 393–397, Hsinchu, Taiwan, June 2005.
- E. P. Markatos, “Tracing a large-scale peer-to-peer system: an hour in the life of Gnutella,” in Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid '02), pp. 65–74, Berlin, Germany, May 2002.
- C. Faloutsos, R. Barber, M. Flickner et al., “Efficient and effective querying by image content,” Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, vol. 3, no. 3-4, pp. 231–262, 1994.
- R. W. Picard, “Computer learning of subjectivity,” ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 621–623, 1995.
Copyright © 2007 E. Ardizzone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.