Multimedia Transmission over Emerging Wireless TechnologiesView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Attila Zsiros, Attila Fülöp, Gábor Jeney, "Joint Optimization in UMTS-Based Video Transmission", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 028340, 14 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/28340
Joint Optimization in UMTS-Based Video Transmission
A software platform is exposed, which was developed to enable demonstration and capacity testing. The platform simulates a joint optimized wireless video transmission. The development succeeded within the frame of the IST-PHOENIX project and is based on the system optimization model of the project. One of the constitutive parts of the model, the wireless network segment, is changed to a detailed, standard UTRA network simulation module. This paper consists of (1) a brief description of the projects simulation chain, (2) brief description of the UTRAN system, and (3) the integration of the two segments. The role of the UTRAN part in the joint optimization is described, with the configuration and control of this element. Finally, some simulation results are shown. In the conclusion, we show how our simulation results translate into real-world performance gains.
- C. E. Shannon, “A mathematical theory of communication,” Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 27, pp. 379–423, 623–656, 1948.
- S. B. Zahir Azami, P. Duhamel, and O. Rioul, “Joint source—channel coding: panorama of methods,” in Proceedings of the CNES Workshop on Data Compression, Toulouse, France, November 1996.
- May 2003, Final Draft International Standard of Joint Video Specification (ITU-T Rec. H.264, ISOIEC 14496-10 AVC), Doc JVT-G050r1, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Zsiros, A. Fülöp, and G. Jeney, “Easily configurable environment of UTRAN physical layer,” in Proceedings of the 5th EURASIP Conference Speech and Image Processing, Multimedia Communications and Services, pp. 93–98, Smolenice, Slovakia, 2005.
- “Radio interface protocol architecture,” ETSI Technical Standards TS 125.301 V6.0.0, UMTS, December 2003.
- “Deliverable 2.4c: JSCC controller—final design and algorithm optimisation,” September 2004, Phoenix project deliverable, IST-2003-001812.
- C. Bergeron and C. Lamy-Bergot, “Modelling H.264/AVC sensitivity for error protection in wireless transmissions,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Multimedia Processing (MMSP '06), Victoria, Canada, October 2006.
- J. Hagenauer, “Rate-compatible punctured convolutional codes (RCPC codes) and their application,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 339–400, 1988.
- “Deliverable 2.1c: final evaluation and performance of source (de)coding schemes,” June 2006, Phoenix project deliverable, IST-2003-001812.
- http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/download, H.264/AVC Software Coordination: JM Reference Software Version 10.1.
- C. Bergeron, C. Lamy-Bergot, G. Pau, and B. Pesquet-Popescu, “Temporal scalability through adaptive M-band filter banks for robust H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video coding,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 21930, 11 pages, 2006.
- “Deliverable 4.4b: experiments and test results,” December 2006, Phoenix project deliverable, IST-2003-001812.
- “Spreading and modulation (FDD),” ETSI Technical Standards TS 125.213 V6.0.0, UMTS, December 2003.
- “Common test environments for user equipment (UE) conformance testing,” ETSI Technical Standards TS 134.108 V6.0.0, UMTS, October 2005.
- “Physical channels and mapping of transport channels onto physical channels (FDD),” ETSI Technical Standards TS 125.211 V6.0.0, UMTS, December 2003.
- “Multiplexing and channel coding (FDD),” ETSI Technical Standards TS 125.212 V6.1.0, UMTS, March 2004.
- A. L. Brandão, L. B. Lopes, and D. C. McLenon, “In-service monitoring of multipath delay and cochannel interferernce for indoor mobile communication systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference Communications, vol. 3, pp. 1458–1462, New Orleans, La, USA, May 1994.
- M. G. Martini and M. Chiani, “Rate-Distortion models for Unequal Error Protection for Wireless Video Transmission,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '04), pp. 1049–1053, Milan, Italy, May 2004.
- “Spatial channel model for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) simulations,” ETSI Technical Report TS 125.996 V6.1.0, UMTS, September 2003.
- C. Lamy-Bergot, J. Huusko, and M. G. Martini et al., “Joint optimisation of multimedia transmission over an IP wired/wireless link,” in European Symposium on Mobile Media Delivery, Alghero, Sardinia, Italy, September 2006.
- M. G. Martini, M. Mazotti, and C. Lamy-Bergot, “A demonstration platform for network aware joint optimization of wireless video transmission,” in Proceedings of the 15th IST Mobile and Wireless Communication Summit, Mykonos, Greece, June 2006.
Copyright © 2007 Attila Zsiros et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.