Multimedia networkingView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Dan Jurca, Pascal Frossard, "Packet Media Streaming with Imprecise Rate Estimation", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 039524, 8 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/39524
Packet Media Streaming with Imprecise Rate Estimation
We address the problem of delay-constrained streaming of multimedia packets over dynamic bandwidth channels. Efficient streaming solutions generally rely on the knowledge of the channel bandwidth, in order to select the media packets to be transmitted, according to their sending time. However, the streaming server usually cannot have a perfect knowledge of the channel bandwidth, and important packets may be lost due to late arrival, if the scheduling is based on an over-estimated bandwidth. Robust media streaming techniques should take into account the mismatch between the values of the actual channel bandwidth and its estimation at the server. We address this rate prediction mismatch by media scheduling with a conservative delay, which provides a safety margin for the packet delivery, even in the presence of unpredicted bandwidth variations. We formulate an optimization problem whose goal is to obtain the optimal value for the conservative delay to be used in the scheduling process, given the network model and the actual playback delay imposed by the client. We eventually propose a simple alternative to the computation of the scheduling delay, which is effective in real-time streaming scenarios. Our streaming method proves to be robust against channel prediction errors, and performs better than other robustness mechanisms based on frame reordering strategies.
- P. A. Chou and Z. Miao, “Rate-distortion optimized streaming of packetized media,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 390–404, 2006.
- K. Chebrolu and R. R. Rao, “Bandwidth aggregation for real-time applications in heterogeneous wireless networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 388–403, 2006.
- D. Jurca and P. Frossard, “Distortion optimized multipath video streaming,” in Proceedings of the International Packet Video Workshop, Irvine, Calif, USA, December 2004.
- V. Ribeiro, R. Riedi, R. Baraniuk, J. Navratil, and L. Cottrell, “pathChirp: efficient available bandwidth estimation for network paths,” in Proceedings of Passive and Active Measurement Workshop (PAM '03), La Jolla, Calif, USA, April 2003.
- D. Jurca and P. Frossard, “Media streaming with conservative delay on variable rate channels,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '06), pp. 1841–1844, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July 2006.
- B. Girod and N. Färber, “Feedback-based error control for mobile video transmission,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 1707–1723, 1999.
- Y. Wang, S. Wenger, J. Wen, and A. K. Katsaggelos, “Error resilient video coding techniques,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 61–82, 2000.
- F. Wu, H. Sun, G. Shen et al., “SMART: an efficient, scalable, and robust streaming video system,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2004, no. 2, pp. 192–206, 2004.
- D. G. Sachs, I. Kozinetsev, M. Yeung, and D. L. Jones, “Hybrid ARQ for robust video streaming over wireless LANs,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing (ITCC '01), pp. 317–321, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, April 2001.
- R. Zhang, S. L. Regunathan, and K. Rose, “End-to-end distortion estimation for RD-based robust delivery of pre-compressed video,” in Proceedings of the 35th IEEE Annual Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, vol. 1, pp. 210–214, Pacific Grove, Calif, USA, November 2001.
- C.-Y. Hsu, A. Ortega, and M. Khansari, “Rate control for robust video transmission over burst-error wireless channels,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 756–773, 1999.
- D. Jurca and P. Frossard, “Video packet selection and scheduling for multipath streaming,” to appear in IEEE Transactions on Multimedia.
- S. Wee, W.-T. Tan, J. Apostolopoulos, and M. Etoh, “Optimized video streaming for networks with varying delay,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '02), vol. 2, pp. 89–92, Lausanne, Switzerland, August 2002.
- J.-W. Ding, Y.-M. Huang, and C.-C. Chu, “An end-to-end delivery scheme for robust video streaming,” in Proceedings of 2nd IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia (PCM '01), vol. 2195 of Lecture Notes In Computer Science, pp. 375–382, Bejing, China, October 2001.
- A. Sang and S.-Q. Li, “A predictability analysis of network traffic,” in Proceedings of the 19th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFCOM '00), vol. 1, pp. 342–351, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 2000.
Copyright © 2007 Dan Jurca and Pascal Frossard. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.