Multimedia networkingView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Heung Ki Lee, Varrian Hall, Ki Hwan Yum, Kyoung Ill Kim, Eun Jung Kim, "Bandwidth Estimation in Wireless Lans for Multimedia Streaming Services", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 070429, 7 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/70429
Bandwidth Estimation in Wireless Lans for Multimedia Streaming Services
The popularity of multimedia streaming services via wireless networks presents major challenges in the management of network bandwidth. One challenge is to quickly and precisely estimate the available bandwidth for the decision of streaming rates of layered and scalable multimedia services. Previous studies based on wired networks are too burdensome to be applied to multimedia applications in wireless networks. In this paper, a new method, IdleGap, is suggested to estimate the available bandwidth of a wireless LAN based on the information from a low layer in the protocol stack. We use a network simulation tool, NS-2, to evaluate our new method with various ranges of cross-traffic and observation times. Our simulation results show that IdleGap accurately estimates the available bandwidth for all ranges of cross-traffic (100 Kbps 1 Mbps) with a very short observation time of 10 seconds.
- T. Henderson, D. Kotz, and I. Abyzov, “The changing usage of a mature campus-wide wireless network,” in Proceedings of the 10th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM '04), pp. 187–201, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, September-October 2004.
- J. Shin, J. W. Kim, and C.-C. J. Kuo, “Quality-of-service mapping mechanism for packet video in differentiated services network,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 219–231, 2001.
- D. Quaglia and J. C. De Martin, “Delivery of MPEG video streams with constant perceptual quality of service,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '02), vol. 2, pp. 85–88, Lausanne, Switzerland, August 2002.
- J. Strauss, D. Katabi, and F. Kaashoek, “A measurement study of available bandwidth estimation tools,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC '03), pp. 39–44, Miami Beach, Fla, USA, October 2003.
- M. Jain and C. Dovrolis, “Pathload: a measurement tool for end-to-end available bandwidth,” in Proceedings of Passive and Active Measurements Workshop (PAM '02), pp. 14–25, Fort Collins, Colo, USA, March 2002.
- K. Lakshminarayanan, V. N. Padmanabhan, and J. Padhye, “Bandwidth estimation in broadband access networks,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC '04), pp. 314–321, Taormina, Italy, October 2004.
- R. L. Carter and M. E. Crovella, “Dynamic server selection using bandwidth probing in wide-area networks,” Tech. Rep. TR-96-007, Computer Science Department, Boston University, Boston, Mass, USA, 1996.
- N. Hu and P. Steenkiste, “Evaluation and characterization of available bandwidth probing techniques,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 879–894, 2003, special issue in Internet and WWW Measurement, Mapping, and Modeling.
- B. Melander, M. Bjorkman, and P. Gunningberg, “A new end-to-end probing and analysis method for estimating bandwidth bottlenecks,” in Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '00), vol. 1, pp. 415–420, San Francisco, Calif, USA, November-December 2000.
- S. H. Shah, K. Chen, and K. Nahrstedt, “Dynamic bandwidth management in single-hop ad hoc wireless networks,” Mobile Networks and Applications, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 199–217, 2005.
- M. Davis, “A wireless traffic probe for radio resource management and QoS provisioning in IEEE 802.11 WLANs,” in Proceedings of the 7th ACM Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (ACM MSWiM '04), pp. 234–243, Venezia, Italy, October 2004.
- G. Xylomenos and G. C. Polyzos, “Quality of service support over multi-service wireless Internet links,” Computer Networks, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 601–615, 2001.
- W. Eberle, B. Bougard, S. Pollin, and F. Catthoor, “From myth to methodology: cross-layer design for energy-efficient wireless communication,” in Proceedings of the 42nd Design Automation Conference (DAC '05), pp. 303–308, Anaheim, Calif, USA, June 2005.
- A. Laursen, J. Olkin, and M. Porter, “Oracle media server: providing consumer based interactive access to multimedia data,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 470–477, Minneapolis, Minn, USA, May 1994.
- S. Robertson and R. Rivin, “Analog Devices: Designing IPTV Set-Top Boxes Without Getting Boxed In,” http://www.analog.com/.
- “Application Note IPTV Performance IPTV Performance Management,” January 2005, http://www.telchemy.com/appnotes/Managing_IPTV_Service_Quality.pdf.
Copyright © 2007 Heung Ki Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.