- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
AIDS Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 108630, 8 pages
The Association between Noncommercial Partnerships and Risk of HIV among Female Sex Workers: Evidences from a Cross-Sectional Behavioral and Biological Survey in Southern India
1India HIV/AIDS Alliance, Hyderabad 500063, Andhra Pradesh, India
2HIV & AIDS Program, Population Council, New Delhi 110003, India
Received 6 September 2012; Accepted 30 January 2013
Academic Editor: P. K. Nicholas
Copyright © 2013 Renuka Pulikallu Somanath et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National AIDS Control Organization, Press Release: HIV declining in India, New infections reduced by 50% from 2000–2009, Sustained focus on prevention required, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, India, 2010.
- National AIDS Control Organization (NACO), NACP-III—To halt and reverse the HIV epidemic in India. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, India, 2006.
- National AIDS Control Organization (NACO), Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, National Behavioral Surveillance Survey, Female sex workers and clients of female sex workers, New Delhi, India, 2006.
- UNAIDS, Report on the global AIDS epidemic, 2008.
- P. Chandrasekaran, G. Dallabetta, V. Loo, S. Rao, H. Gayle, and A. Alexander, “Containing HIV/AIDS in India: the unfinished agenda,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 508–521, 2006.
- H. K. Rachakulla, V. Kodavalla, H. Rajkumar, et al., “Condom use and prevalence of syphilis and HIV among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India—following a large-scale HIV prevention intervention,” BMC Public Health, vol. 11, supplement 6, article S1, 2011.
- J. T. Erausquin, M. Biradavolu, E. Reed, R. Burroway, and K. M. Blankenship, “Trends in condom use among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India: the impact of a community mobilisation intervention,” Epidemiol Community Health, vol. 66, no. 2, supplement, pp. ii49–ii54, 2012.
- M. Pickles, A. M. Foss, P. Vickerman et al., “Interim modelling analysis to validate reported increases in condom use and assess HIV infections averted among female sex workers and clients in southern India following a targeted HIV prevention programme,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. i33–i43, 2010.
- K. N. Deering, P. Bhattacharjee, J. Bradley, et al., “Condom use within non-commercial partnerships of female sex workers in southern India,” BMC Public Health, vol. 11, supplement 6, article S11, 2011.
- S. Reza-Paul, T. Beattie, H. U. R. Syed et al., “Declines in risk behaviour and sexually transmitted infection prevalence following a community-led HIV preventive intervention among female sex workers in Mysore, India,” AIDS, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. S91–S100, 2008.
- K. M. Blankenship, B. S. West, T. S. Kershaw, and M. R. Biradavolu, “Power, community mobilization, and condom use practices among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India,” AIDS, vol. 22, supplement 5, pp. S109–S116, 2008.
- B. M. Ramesh, T. S. H. Beattie, I. Shajy et al., “Changes in risk behaviours and prevalence of sexually transmitted infections following HIV preventive interventions among female sex workers in five districts in Karnataka state, south India,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 86, supplement 1, pp. i17–i24, 2010.
- R. Steen, B. Vuylsteke, T. DeCoito et al., “Evidence of declining STD prevalence in a South African mining community following a core-group intervention,” Sexually Transmitted Diseases, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2000.
- E. Reed, J. Gupta, M. Biradavolu, V. Devireddy, and K. M. Blankenship, “The context of economic insecurity and its relation to violence and risk factors for HIV among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India,” Public Health Reports, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 81–89, 2010.
- C. Evans and H. Lambert, “The limits of behaviour change theory: condom use and contexts of HIV risk in the Kolkata sex industry,” Culture, Health and Sexuality, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 27–41, 2008.
- M. R. Biradavolu, S. Burris, A. George, A. Jena, and K. M. Blankenship, “Can sex workers regulate police? Learning from an HIV prevention project for sex workers in southern India,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 1541–1547, 2009.
- D. H. Cornman, S. J. Schmiege, A. Bryan, T. Joseph Benziger, and J. D. Fisher, “An information-motivation-behavioral skills (IMB) model-based HIV prevention intervention for truck drivers in India,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 1572–1584, 2007.
- A. Pandey, R. M. Mishra, D. Sahu, et al., “Heterosexual risk behaviour among long distance truck drivers in India: role of marital status,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 136, pp. 44–53, 2012.
- R. Zhao, B. Wang, X. Fang, X. Li, and B. Stanton, “Condom use and self-efficacy among female sex workers with steady partners in China,” AIDS Care, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 782–790, 2008.
- L. Murray, L. Moreno, S. Rosario, J. Ellen, M. Sweat, and D. Kerrigan, “The role of relationship intimacy in consistent condom use among female sex workers and their regular paying partners in the Dominican Republic,” AIDS and Behavior, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 463–470, 2007.
- H. A. C. M. Voeten, O. B. Egesah, C. M. Varkevisser, and J. D. F. Habbema, “Female sex workers and unsafe sex in urban and rural Nyanza, Kenya: regular partners may contribute more to HIV transmission than clients,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 174–182, 2007.
- K. Stoebenau, M. J. Hindin, C. A. Nathanson, P. G. Rakotoarison, and V. Razafintsalama, “‘... but then he became my sipa’: the implications of relationship fluidity for condom use among women sex workers in Antananarivo, Madagascar,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 811–819, 2009.
- D. K. S. Chan, S. F. Cheung, A. Gray, A. Ip, and B. Lee, “Identifying the psychosocial correlates of condom use by female sex workers in Hong Kong,” AIDS Care, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 530–539, 2004.
- T. Saidel, R. Adhikary, M. Mainkar et al., “Baseline integrated behavioural and biological assessment among most at-risk populations in six high-prevalence states of India: design and implementation challenges,” AIDS, vol. 22, supplement 5, pp. S17–S34, 2008.
- B. M. Ramesh, S. Moses, R. Washington et al., “Determinants of HIV prevalence among female sex workers in four south Indian states: analysis of cross-sectional surveys in twenty-three districts,” AIDS, vol. 22, supplement 5, pp. S35–S44, 2008.
- C. M. Lowndes, M. Alary, H. Meda et al., “Role of core and bridging groups in the transmission dynamics of HIV and STIs in Cotonou, Benin, West Africa,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 78, supplement 1, pp. i69–i77, 2002.
- P. Vickerman, A. M. Foss, M. Pickles et al., “To what extent is the HIV epidemic in southern India driven by commercial sex? A modelling analysis,” AIDS, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 2563–2572, 2010.
- M. Alary, A. A. Jayachandran, C. M. Lowndes et al., “Ecological analysis of the association between high-risk population parameters and HIV prevalence among pregnant women enrolled in sentinel surveillance in four southern India states,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 86, supplement 1, pp. i10–i16, 2010.
- E. Reed, J. Gupta, M. Biradavolu, V. Devireddy, and K. M. Blankenship, “The role of housing in determining HIV risk among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India: considering women's life contexts,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 710–716, 2011.
- P. Bhattacharjee, S. Isac, T. Raghavendra, and T. S M, Role of Lovers/Boyfriends in HIV Transmission Among Female Sex Workers, Karnataka Health Promotion Trust, Bengaluru, India, 2009.