- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 710421, 7 pages
Higher Prostate Weight Is Inversely Associated with Gleason Score Upgrading in Radical Prostatectomy Specimens
Departments of Urology and Pathology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas (Unicamp), Rua Tessália Vieira de Camargo 126, Cidade Universitária “Zeferino Vaz,” 13083-887 Campinas-SP, Brazil
Received 31 July 2013; Revised 23 September 2013; Accepted 23 September 2013
Academic Editor: Axel S. Merseburger
Copyright © 2013 Leonardo Oliveira Reis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Pinthus, M. Witkos, N. E. Fleshner et al., “Prostate cancers scored as Gleason 6 on prostate biopsy are frequently Gleason 7 tumors at radical prostatectomy: implication on outcome,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 979–984, 2006.
- C. R. King, J. E. McNeal, H. Gill, and J. C. Presti Jr., “Extended prostate biopsy scheme improves reliability of Gleason grading: implications for radiotherapy patients,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 386–391, 2004.
- F. K. Chun, T. Steuber, A. Erbersdobler et al., “Development and internal validation of a nomogram predicting the probability of prostate cancer Gleason sum upgrading between biopsy and radical prostatectomy pathology,” European Urology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 820–826, 2006.
- M. L. Gonzalgo, P. J. Bastian, L. A. Mangold et al., “Relationship between primary Gleason pattern on needle biopsy and clinicopathologic outcomes among men with Gleason score 7 adenocarcinoma of the prostate,” Urology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 115–119, 2006.
- R. Kvåle, B. Møller, R. Wahlqvist et al., “Concordance between Gleason scores of needle biopsies and radical prostatectomy specimens: a population-based study,” BJU International, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 1647–1654, 2009.
- A. Billis, L. A. Magna, and U. Ferreira, “Correlation between tumor extent in radical prostatectomies and preoperative PSA, histological grade, surgical margins, and extraprostatic extension: application of a new practical method for tumor extent evaluation,” International Braz J Urol, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 113–120, 2003.
- J. I. Epstein, W. C. Allsbrook Jr., M. B. Amin et al., “The 2005 International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on Gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1228–1242, 2005.
- M. S. Cookson, G. Aus, A. L. Burnett et al., “Variation in the definition of biochemical recurrence in patients treated for localized prostate cancer: the American Urological Association Prostate guidelines for localized prostate cancer update panel report and recommendations for a standard in the reporting of surgical outcomes,” Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 540–545, 2007.
- D. Colleselli, A. E. Pelzer, E. Steiner et al., “Upgrading of Gleason score 6 prostate cancers on biopsy after prostatectomy in the low and intermediate tPSA range,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 182–185, 2010.
- R. Montironi, R. Mazzucchelli, M. Scarpelli et al., “Prostate carcinoma II: prognostic factors in prostate needle biopsies,” BJU International, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 492–497, 2006.
- N. J. Fitzsimons, J. C. Presti Jr., C. J. Kane et al., “Is biopsy Gleason score independently associated with biochemical progression following radical prostatectomy after adjusting for pathological Gleason score?” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 6, part 1, pp. 2453–2458, 2006.
- M. Müntener, J. I. Epstein, D. J. Hernandez et al., “Prognostic significance of Gleason score discrepancies between needle biopsy and radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 767–776, 2008.
- F. B. Serkin, D. W. Soderdahl, J. Cullen, Y. Chen, and J. Hernandez, “Patient risk stratification using Gleason score concordance and upgrading among men with prostate biopsy Gleason score 6 or 7,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 302–307, 2010.
- S. J. Freedland, C. J. Kane, C. L. Amling, W. J. Aronson, M. K. Terris, and J. C. Presti Jr., “Upgrading and downgrading of prostate needle biopsy specimens: risk factors and clinical implications,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 495–499, 2007.
- P. D. Sved, P. Gomez, M. Manoharan, S. S. Kim, and M. S. Soloway, “Limitations of biopsy Gleason grade: implications for counseling patients with biopsy Gleason score 6 prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 98–102, 2004.
- C. Ozden, C. V. Oztekin, O. Ugurlu, S. Gokkaya, M. Yaris, and A. Memis, “Correlation between upgrading of prostate biopsy and biochemical failure and unfavorable pathology after radical prostatectomy,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 146–150, 2009.
- S. K. Hong, B. K. Han, S. T. Lee et al., “Prediction of Gleason score upgrading in low-risk prostate cancers diagnosed via multi (≥12)-core prostate biopsy,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 271–276, 2009.
- F. Dong, J. S. Jones, A. J. Stephenson, C. Magi-Galluzzi, A. M. Reuther, and E. A. Klein, “Prostate cancer volume at biopsy predicts clinically significant upgrading,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 3, pp. 896–900, 2008.
- J. J. Liu, J. D. Brooks, M. Ferrari, R. Nolley, and J. C. Presti Jr., “Small prostate size and high grade disease-biology or artifact?” Journal of Urology, vol. 185, no. 6, pp. 2108–2111, 2011.
- T. C. Ngo, S. L. Conti, R. Shinghal, and J. C. Presti Jr., “Prostate size does not predict high grade cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 477–480, 2012.
- A. Rahmouni, A. Yang, C. M. Tempany et al., “Accuracy of in-vivo assessment of prostatic volume by MRI and transrectal ultrasonography,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 935–940, 1992.
- M. Varma and J. M. Morgan, “The weight of the prostate gland is an excellent surrogate for gland volume,” Histopathology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 2010.