Neurodegenerative Diseases: Mechanisms and TherapiesView this Special Issue
Review Article | Open Access
Akihiko Nunomura, Kazuhiro Honda, Atsushi Takeda, Keisuke Hirai, Xiongwei Zhu, Mark A. Smith, George Perry, "Oxidative Damage to RNA in Neurodegenerative Diseases", BioMed Research International, vol. 2006, Article ID 082323, 6 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/JBB/2006/82323
Oxidative Damage to RNA in Neurodegenerative Diseases
Since 1999, oxidative damage to RNA molecules has been described in several neurological diseases including Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Down syndrome, dementia with Lewy bodies, prion disease, subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, and xeroderma pigmentosum. An early involvement of RNA oxidation of vulnerable neuronal population in the neurodegenerative diseases has been demonstrated, which is strongly supported by a recent observation of increased RNA oxidation in brains of subjects with mild cognitive impairment. Until recently, little is known about consequences and cellular handling of the RNA damage. However, increasing body of evidence suggests detrimental effects of the RNA damage in protein synthesis and the existence of several coping mechanisms including direct repair and avoiding the incorporation of the damaged ribonucleotides into translational machinery. Further investigations toward understanding of the consequences and cellular handling mechanisms of the oxidative RNA damage may provide significant insights into the pathogenesis and therapeutic strategies of the neurodegenerative diseases.
- M A Smith, C A Rottkamp, A Nunomura, A K Raina, and G Perry, “Oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1502, no. 1, pp. 139–144, 2000.
- P Jenner, “Oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 53, no. suppl 3, pp. S26–S38, 2003.
- D Brégeon and A Sarasin, “Hypothetical role of RNA damage avoidance in preventing human disease,” Mutation Research, vol. 577, no. 1-2, pp. 293–302, 2005.
- E S Fiala, C C Conaway, and J E Mathis, “Oxidative DNA and RNA damage in the livers of Sprague-Dawley rats treated with the hepatocarcinogen 2-nitropropane,” Cancer Research, vol. 49, no. 20, pp. 5518–5522, 1989.
- W G Wamer and R R Wei, “In vitro photooxidation of nucleic acids by ultraviolet A radiation,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 560–563, 1997.
- T Hofer, C Badouard, E Bajak, J-L Ravanat, Å Mattsson, and I A Cotgreave, “Hydrogen peroxide causes greater oxidation in cellular RNA than in DNA,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 386, no. 4, pp. 333–337, 2005.
- M Szymanski, M Z Barciszewska, V A Erdmann, and J Barciszewski, “A new frontier for molecular medicine: noncoding RNAs,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1756, no. 1, pp. 65–75, 2005.
- A Nunomura, G Perry, M A Pappolla et al., “RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of vulnerable neurons in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1959–1964, 1999.
- J Zhang, G Perry, M A Smith et al., “Parkinson's disease is associated with oxidative damage to cytoplasmic DNA and RNA in substantia nigra neurons,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 154, no. 5, pp. 1423–1429, 1999.
- A Nunomura, G Perry, M A Pappolla et al., “Neuronal oxidative stress precedes amyloid- deposition in down syndrome,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1011–1017, 2000.
- A Nunomura, G Perry, G Aliev et al., “Oxidative damage is the earliest event in Alzheimer disease,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 759–767, 2001.
- A Nunomura, S Chiba, K Kosaka et al., “Neuronal RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of dementia with Lewy bodies,” NeuroReport, vol. 13, no. 16, pp. 2035–2039, 2002.
- A Nunomura, S Chiba, K Kosaka et al., “Erratum: neuronal RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of dementia with lewy bodies,” NeuroReport, vol. 14, no. 2, p. 293, 2003.
- M Guentchev, S L Siedlak, C Jarius et al., “Oxidative damage to nucleic acids in human prion disease,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 275–281, 2002.
- M Hayashi, N Arai, J Satoh et al., “Neurodegenerative mechanisms in subacute sclerosing panencephalitis,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 725–730, 2002.
- T Abe, H Tohgi, C Isobe, T Murata, and C Sato, “Remarkable increase in the concentration of 8-hydroxyguanosine in cerebrospinal fluid from patients with Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 447–450, 2002.
- A Kikuchi, A Takeda, H Onodera et al., “Systemic increase of oxidative nucleic acid damage in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophy,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 244–248, 2002.
- X Shan, H Tashiro, and C-L G Lin, “The identification and characterization of oxidized RNAs in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 4913–4921, 2003.
- X Shan and C-L G Lin, “Quantification of oxidized RNAs in Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 657–662, 2006.
- T Abe, C Isobe, T Murata, C Sato, and H Tohgi, “Alteration of 8-hydroxyguanosine concentrations in the cerebrospinal fluid and serum from patients with Parkinson's disease,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 336, no. 2, pp. 105–108, 2003.
- A Nunomura, S Chiba, C F Lippa et al., “Neuronal RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of familial Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2004.
- K Honda, M A Smith, X Zhu et al., “Ribosomal RNA in Alzheimer disease is oxidized by bound redox-active iron,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 22, pp. 20978–20986, 2005.
- M Hayashi, S Araki, J Kohyama, K Shioda, and R Fukatsu, “Oxidative nucleotide damage and superoxide dismutase expression in the brains of xeroderma pigmentosum group A and Cockayne syndrome,” Brain and Development, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 34–38, 2005.
- R B Petersen, S L Siedlak, H-G Lee et al., “Redox metals and oxidative abnormalities in human prion diseases,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 232–238, 2005.
- Q Ding, W R Markesbery, Q Chen, F Li, and J N Keller, “Ribosome dysfunction is an early event in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 40, pp. 9171–9175, 2005.
- J Liu, E Head, A M Gharib et al., “Memory loss in old rats is associated with brain mitochondrial decay and RNA/DNA oxidation: partial reversal by feeding acetyl-L-carnitine and/or R--lipoic acid,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 2356–2361, 2002.
- B W Row, R Liu, W Xu, L Kheirandish, and D Gozal, “Intermittent hypoxia is associated with oxidative stress and spatial learning deficits in the rat,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 167, no. 11, pp. 1548–1553, 2003.
- Q Ding, E Dimayuga, W R Markesbery, and J N Keller, “Proteasome inhibition increases DNA and RNA oxidation in astrocyte and neuron cultures,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1211–1218, 2004.
- E-M Park, M K Shigenaga, P Degan et al., “Assay of excised oxidative DNA lesions: isolation of 8-oxoguanine and its nucleoside derivatives from biological fluids with a monoclonal antibody column,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 3375–3379, 1992.
- B Yin, R M Whyatt, F P Perera, M C Randall, T B Cooper, and R M Santella, “Determination of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine by an immunoaffinity chromatography-monoclonal antibody-based ELISA,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1023–1032, 1995.
- J N Keller, F A Schmitt, S W Scheff et al., “Evidence of increased oxidative damage in subjects with mild cognitive impairment,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1152–1156, 2005.
- D Praticò, C M Clark, F Liun, J Rokach, V Y Lee, and J Q Trojanowski, “Increase of brain oxidative stress in mild cognitive impairment: a possible predictor of Alzheimer disease,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 972–976, 2002.
- L Migliore, I Fontana, F Trippi et al., “Oxidative DNA damage in peripheral leukocytes of mild cognitive impairment and AD patients,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 567–573, 2005.
- P Rinaldi, M C Polidori, A Metastasio et al., “Plasma antioxidants are similarly depleted in mild cognitive impairment and in Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 915–919, 2003.
- I Guidi, D Galimberti, S Lonati et al., “Oxidative imbalance in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 262–269, 2006.
- A Nunomura, P I Moreira, X Zhu, A D Cash, M A Smith, and G Perry, “The role of oxidative insult and neuronal survival in Alzheimer and Parkinson diseases,” in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Diseases: Insights, Progress and Perspectives, A Fisher, I Hanin, M Memo, and F Stocchi, Eds., Springer, New York, NY, In press.
- A Nunomura, P I Moreira, X Zhu, M A Smith, and G Perry, “Involvement of oxidative stress in the early-stage of Alzheimer's disease: implications for therapeutics,” in Trends in Alzheimer's Disease Research, E M Welsh, Ed., Nova Science, Hauppauge, NY, In press.
- K Hirai, G Aliev, A Nunomura et al., “Mitochondrial abnormalities in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 3017–3023, 2001.
- G Perry, A Nunomura, A D Cash et al., “Reactive oxygen: its sources and significance in Alzheimer disease,” Journal of Neural Transmission, Supplement, no. 62, pp. 69–75, 2002.
- T Ishibashi, H Hayakawa, R Ito, M Miyazawa, Y Yamagata, and M Sekiguchi, “Mammalian enzymes for preventing transcriptional errors caused by oxidative damage,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 3779–3784, 2005.
- H Yanagawa, Y Ogawa, and M Ueno, “Redox ribonucleosides. Isolation and characterization of 5-hydroxyuridine, 8-hydroxyguanosine, and 8-hydroxyadenosine from Torula yeast RNA,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 19, pp. 13320–13326, 1992.
- A Bellacosa and E G Moss, “RNA repair: damage control,” Current Biology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. R482–R484, 2003.
- P A Aas, M Otterlei, P Ø Falnes et al., “Human and bacterial oxidative demethylases repair alkylation damage in both RNA and DNA,” Nature, vol. 421, no. 6925, pp. 859–863, 2003.
- Y Nakabeppu, D Tsuchimoto, A Ichinoe et al., “Biological significance of the defense mechanisms against oxidative damage in nucleic acids caused by reactive oxygen species: from mitochondria to nuclei,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1011, pp. 101–111, 2004.
- H Hayakawa, M Kuwano, and M Sekiguchi, “Specific binding of 8-oxoguanine-containing RNA to polynucleotide phosphorylase protein,” Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 33, pp. 9977–9982, 2001.
- H Hayakawa, T Uchiumi, T Fukuda et al., “Binding capacity of human YB-1 protein for RNA containing 8-oxoguanine,” Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 42, pp. 12739–12744, 2002.
Copyright © 2006 Akihiko Nunomura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.