Biomedical Applications of Colloidal NanocrystalsView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
E. Z. Chong, D. R Matthews, H. D. Summers, K. L. Njoh, R. J. Errington, P. J. Smith, "Development of FRET-Based Assays in the Far-Red Using CdTe Quantum Dots", BioMed Research International, vol. 2007, Article ID 054169, 7 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/54169
Development of FRET-Based Assays in the Far-Red Using CdTe Quantum Dots
Colloidal quantum dots (QDs) are now commercially available in a biofunctionalized form, and Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) between bioconjugated dots and fluorophores within the visible range has been observed. We are particularly interested in the far-red region, as from a biological perspective there are benefits in pushing to 700 nm to minimize optical absorption (ABS) within tissue and to avoid cell autofluorescence. We report on FRET between streptavidin- (STV-) conjugated CdTe quantum dots, Qdot705-STV, with biotinylated DY731-Bio fluorophores in a donor-acceptor assay. We also highlight the changes in DY731-Bio absorptivity during the streptavidin-biotin binding process which can be attributed to the structural reorientation. For fluorescence beyond 700 nm, different alloy compositions are required for the QD core and these changes directly affect the fluorescence decay dynamics producing a marked biexponential decay with a long-lifetime component in excess of 100 nanoseconds. We compare the influence of the two QD relaxation routes upon FRET dynamics in the presence of DY731-Bio.
- R. M. Clegg, “The history of FRET: from conception through the labors of birth,” in Reviews in Fluorescence, J. R. Lakowicz and C. D. Geddes, Eds., vol. 3, pp. 1–45, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- J. R. Lakowicz, Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- I. Z. Steinberg, “Long-range nonradiative transfer of electronic excitation energy in proteins and polypeptides,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 40, pp. 83–114, 1971.
- L. Stryer, “Fluorescence energy transfer as a spectroscopic ruler,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 47, pp. 819–846, 1978.
- P. G. Wu and L. Brand, “Resonance energy-transfer—methods and applications,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 1994.
- M. A. Hines and P. Guyot-Sionnest, “Synthesis and characterization of strongly luminescing ZnS-capped CdSe nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 468–471, 1996.
- B. O. Dabbousi, J. Rodriguez-Viejo, F. V. Mikulec et al., “(CdSe)ZnS core-shell quantum dots: Synthesis and characterization of a size series of highly luminescent nanocrystallites,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 101, no. 46, pp. 9463–9475, 1997.
- X. Peng, M. C. Schlamp, A. V. Kadavanich, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Epitaxial growth of highly luminescent CdSe/CdS core/shell nanocrystals with photostability and electronic accessibility,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 119, no. 30, pp. 7019–7029, 1997.
- W. J. Parak, T. Pellegrino, and C. Plank, “Labelling of cells with quantum dots,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. R9–R25, 2005.
- D. M. Willard, L. L. Carillo, J. Jung, and A. Van Orden, “CdSe-ZnS quantum dots as resonance energy transfer donors in a model protein-protein binding assay,” Nano Letters, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 469–474, 2001.
- E. Oh, M. Y. Hong, D. Lee, S. H. Nam, H. C. Yoon, and H. S. Kim, “Inhibition assay of biomolecules based on fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET) between quantum dots and gold nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 10, pp. 3270–3271, 2005.
- Invitrogen, “Qdot streptavidin conjugates user manual,” 2006.
- A. P. Alivisatos, “Perspectives on the physical chemistry of semiconductor nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 31, pp. 13226–13239, 1996.
- A. R. Clapp, I. L. Medintz, and H. Mattoussi, “Förster resonance energy transfer investigations using quantum-dot fluorophores,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 47–57, 2006.
- L. A. Padilha, A. A.-R. Neves, C. L. Cesar, L. C. Barbosa, and C. H. Brito-Cruz, “Recombination processes in CdTe quantum-dot-doped glasses,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 15, pp. 3256–3258, 2004.
- X. Y. Wu, H. J. Liu, J. Q. Liu et al., “Immunofluorescent labeling of cancer marker Her2 and other cellular targets with semiconductor quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2003.
- D. R. Lide, Ed., CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2001.
- A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor clusters, nanocrystals, and quantum dots,” Science, vol. 271, no. 5251, pp. 933–937, 1996.
- M. Nirmal and L. Brus, “Luminescence photophysics in semiconductor nanocrystals,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 407–414, 1999.
- Y. Wang and N. Herron, “Nanometer-sized semiconductor clusters: materials synthesis, quantum size effects, and photophysical properties,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 525–532, 1991.
- B. N.-G. Giepmans, T. J. Deerinck, B. L. Smarr, Y. Z. Jones, and M. H. Ellisman, “Correlated light and electron microscopic imaging of multiple endogenous proteins using Quantum dots,” Nature Methods, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 743–749, 2005.
- A. Chilkoti and P. S. Stayton, “Molecular origins of the slow streptavidin-biotin dissociation kinetics,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 117, no. 43, pp. 10622–10628, 1995.
- A. R. Clapp, I. L. Medintz, J. M. Mauro, B. R. Fisher, M. G. Bawendi, and H. Mattoussi, “Fluorescence resonance energy transfer between quantum dot donors and dye-labeled protein acceptors,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 301–310, 2004.
- G. Schlegel, J. Bohnenberger, I. Potapova, and A. Mews, “Fluorescence decay time of single semiconductor nanocrystals,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 88, no. 13, pp. 1374011–1374014, 2002.
- B. R. Fisher, H.-J. Eisler, N. E. Stott, and M. G. Bawendi, “Emission intensity dependence and single-exponential behavior in single colloidal quantum dot fluorescence lifetimes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 143–148, 2004.
Copyright © 2007 E. Z. Chong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.