Biomedical Applications of Colloidal NanocrystalsView this Special Issue
Review Article | Open Access
Arthur M. Iga, John H. P. Robertson, Marc C. Winslet, Alexander M. Seifalian, "Clinical Potential of Quantum Dots", BioMed Research International, vol. 2007, Article ID 076087, 10 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/76087
Clinical Potential of Quantum Dots
Advances in nanotechnology have led to the development of novel fluorescent probes called quantum dots. Quantum dots have revolutionalized the processes of tagging molecules within research settings and are improving sentinel lymph node mapping and identification in vivo studies. As the unique physical and chemical properties of these fluorescent probes are being unraveled, new potential methods of early cancer detection, rapid spread and therapeutic management, that is, photodynamic therapy are being explored. Encouraging results of optical and real time identification of sentinel lymph nodes and lymph flow using quantum dots in vivo models are emerging. Quantum dots have also superseded many of the limitations of organic fluorophores and are a promising alternative as a research tool. In this review, we examine the promising clinical potential of quantum dots, their hindrances for clinical use and the current progress in abrogating their inherent toxicity.
- J. K. Jaiswal and S. M. Simon, “Potentials and pitfalls of fluorescent quantum dots for biological imaging,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 497–504, 2004.
- A. M. Smith, G. Ruan, M. N. Rhyner, and S. Nie, “Engineering luminescent quantum dots for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 2006.
- X. Gao, L. Yang, J. A. Petros, F. F. Marshall, J. W. Simons, and S. Nie, “In vivo molecular and cellular imaging with quantum dots,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 63–72, 2005.
- M. Green, “Semiconductor quantum dots as biological imaging agents,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 43, no. 32, pp. 4129–4131, 2004.
- D. J. Bharali, D. W. Lucey, H. Jayakumar, H. E. Pudavar, and P. N. Prasad, “Folate-receptor-mediated delivery of InP quantum dots for bioimaging using confocal and two-photon microscopy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 32, pp. 11364–11371, 2005.
- T. Jamieson, R. Bakhshi, D. Petrova, R. Pocock, M. Imani, and A. M. Seifalian, “Biological applications of quantum dots,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 31, pp. 4717–4732, 2007.
- B. Dubertret, P. Skourides, D. J. Norris, V. Noireaux, A. H. Brivanlou, and A. Libchaber, “In vivo imaging of quantum dots encapsulated in phospholipid micelles,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5599, pp. 1759–1762, 2002.
- J. K. Jaiswal, H. Mattoussi, J. M. Mauro, and S. M. Simon, “Long-term multiple color imaging of live cells using quantum dot bioconjugates,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2003.
- X. Wu, H. Liu, J. Liu et al., “Immunofluorescent labeling of cancer marker Her2 and other cellular targets with semiconductor quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2003.
- B. Ballou, B. C. Lagerholm, L. A. Ernst, M. P. Bruchez, and A. S. Waggoner, “Noninvasive imaging of quantum dots in mice,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 2004.
- W. Jiang, E. Papa, H. Fischer, S. Mardyani, and W. C. W. Chan, “Semiconductor quantum dots as contrast agents for whole animal imaging,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 607–609, 2004.
- E. R. Goldman, E. D. Balighian, H. Mattoussi et al., “Avidin: a natural bridge for quantum dot-antibody conjugates,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 22, pp. 6378–6382, 2002.
- D. L. Nida, M. S. Rahman, K. D. Carlson, R. Richards-Kortum, and M. Follen, “Fluorescent nanocrystals for use in early cervical cancer detection,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 99, no. 3, supplement 1, pp. S89–S94, 2005.
- X. Gao, Y. Cui, R. M. Levenson, L. W. K. Chung, and S. Nie, “In vivo cancer targeting and imaging with semiconductor quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 969–976, 2004.
- E. G. Soltesz, S. Kim, S.-W. Kim et al., “Sentinel lymph node mapping of the gastrointestinal tract by using invisible light,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 386–396, 2006.
- S. Kim, Y. T. Lim, E. G. Soltesz et al., “Near-infrared fluorescent type II quantum dots for sentinel lymph node mapping,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 2004.
- C. P. Parungo, S. Ohnishi, S.-W. Kim et al., “Intraoperative identification of esophageal sentinel lymph nodes with near-infrared fluorescence imaging,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 844–850, 2005.
- E. G. Soltesz, S. Kim, R. G. Laurence et al., “Intraoperative sentinel lymph node mapping of the lung using near-infrared fluorescent quantum dots,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 269–277, 2005.
- C. P. Parungo, Y. L. Colson, S.-W. Kim et al., “Sentinel lymph node mapping of the pleural space,” Chest, vol. 127, no. 5, pp. 1799–1804, 2005.
- E. B. Voura, J. K. Jaiswal, H. Mattoussi, and S. M. Simon, “Tracking metastatic tumor cell extravasation with quantum dot nanocrystals and fluorescence emission-scanning microscopy,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 993–998, 2004.
- J. V. Frangioni, “In vivo near-infrared fluorescence imaging,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 626–634, 2003.
- S. Kim, B. Fisher, H.-J. Eisler, and M. Bawendi, “Type-II quantum dots: CdTe/CdSe(core/shell) and CdSe/ZnTe(core/shell) heterostructures,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 38, pp. 11466–11467, 2003.
- A. Torne and L. M. Puig-Tintore, “The use of sentinel lymph nodes in gynaecological malignancies,” Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 2004.
- G. Peley, I. Sinkovics, G. Liszkay et al., “The role of intraoperative gamma-probe-guided sentinel lymph node biopsy in the treatment of malignant melanoma and breast cancer,” Orvosi Hetilap, vol. 140, no. 42, pp. 2331–2338, 1999.
- J. W. Jakub, S. Pendas, and D. S. Reintgen, “Current status of sentinel lymph node mapping and biopsy: facts and controversies,” Oncologist, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2003.
- M. Zhou, E. Nakatani, L. S. Gronenberg et al., “Peptide-labeled quantum dots for imaging GPCRs in whole cells and as single molecules,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 323–332, 2007.
- C. Tortiglione, A. Quarta, A. Tino, L. Manna, R. Cingolani, and T. Pellegrino, “Synthesis and biological assay of GSH functionalized fluorescent quantum dots for staining Hydra vulgaris,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 829–835, 2007.
- S. T. Selvan, P. K. Patra, C. Y. Ang, and J. Y. Ying, “Synthesis of silica-coated semiconductor and magnetic quantum dots and their use in the imaging of live cells,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 46, no. 14, pp. 2448–2452, 2007.
- K. Kampani, K. Quann, J. Ahuja, B. Wigdahl, Z. K. Khan, and P. Jain, “A novel high throughput quantum dot-based fluorescence assay for quantitation of virus binding and attachment,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 2007.
- I. L. Medintz, L. Berti, T. Pons et al., “A reactive peptidic linker for self-assembling hybrid quantum dot-DNA bioconjugates,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1741–1748, 2007.
- P. M. A. de Farias, B. S. Santos, F. D. De Menezes et al., “Core-shell quantum dots: synthesis and bioconjugation to target red cells antigens,” Journal of Microscopy, vol. 219, no. 3, pp. 103–108, 2005.
- X. Gao, W. C. W. Chan, and S. Nie, “Quantum-dot nanocrystals for ultrasensitive biological labeling and multicolor optical encoding,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 532–537, 2002.
- W. B. Tan, S. Jiang, and Y. Zhang, “Quantum-dot based nanoparticles for targeted silencing of HER2/neu gene via RNA interference,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1565–1571, 2007.
- G. A. F. Van Tilborg, W. J. M. Mulder, P. T. K. Chin et al., “Annexin A5-conjugated quantum dots with a paramagnetic lipidic coating for the multimodal detection of apoptotic cells,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 865–868, 2006.
- W. J. M. Mulder, R. Koole, R. J. Brandwijk et al., “Quantum dots with a paramagnetic coating as a bimodal molecular imaging probe,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2006.
- X. Yu, L. Chen, K. Li et al., “Immunofluorescence detection with quantum dot bioconjugates for hepatoma in vivo,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 12, no. 1, Article ID 014008, 5 pages, 2007.
- S. S. Chang, V. E. Reuter, W. D. W. Heston, and P. B. Gaudin, “Metastatic renal cell carcinoma neovasculature expresses prostate-specific membrane antigen,” Urology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 801–805, 2001.
- A. M. Kersemaekers, G. J. Fleuren, G. G. Kenter et al., “Oncogene alterations in carcinomas of the uterine cervix: overexpression of the epidermal growth factor receptor is associated with poor prognosis,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 577–586, 1999.
- N. Y. Morgan, S. English, W. Chen et al., “Real time in vivo non-invasive optical imaging using near-infrared fluorescent quantum dots,” Academic Radiology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 313–323, 2005.
- N. L. Oleinick, R. L. Morris, and I. Belichenko, “The role of apoptosis in response to photodynamic therapy: what, where, why, and how,” Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 2002.
- A. C. S. Samia, S. Dayal, and C. Burda, “Quantum dot-based energy transfer: perspectives and potential for applications in photodynamic therapy,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 617–625, 2006.
- R. L. Morris, K. Azizuddin, M. Lam et al., “Fluorescence resonance energy transfer reveals a binding site of a photosensitizer for photodynamic therapy,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 17, pp. 5194–5197, 2003.
- A. C. S. Samia, X. Chen, and C. Burda, “Semiconductor quantum dots for photodynamic therapy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 51, pp. 15736–15737, 2003.
- J. Fang, T. Sawa, and H. Maeda, “Factors and mechanism of “EPR” effect and the enhanced antitumor effects of macromolecular drugs including SMANCS,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 519, pp. 29–49, 2003.
- K. Greish, T. Sawa, J. Fang, T. Akaike, and H. Maeda, “SMA-doxorubicin, a new polymeric micellar drug for effective targeting to solid tumours,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 219–230, 2004.
- A. Gabizon and F. Martin, “Polyethylene glycol-coated (pegylated) liposomal doxorubicin. Rationale for use in solid tumours,” Drugs, vol. 54, supplement 4, pp. 15–21, 1997.
- U. Boas and P. M. H. Heegaard, “Dendrimers in drug research,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 43–63, 2004.
- M. S. Arayne and N. Sultana, “Porous nanoparticles in drug delivery systems,” Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 158–169, 2006.
- M. A. Hahn, J. S. Tabb, and T. D. Krauss, “Detection of single bacterial pathogens with semiconductor quantum dots,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 15, pp. 4861–4869, 2005.
- Z. Yun, D. Zhengtao, Y. Jiachang, T. Fangqiong, and W. Qun, “Using cadmium telluride quantum dots as a proton flux sensor and applying to detect H9 avian influenza virus,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 364, no. 2, pp. 122–127, 2007.
- W. J. Jin, M. T. Fernández-Argüelles, J. M. Costa-Fernández, R. Pereiro, and A. Sanz-Medel, “Photoactivated luminescent CdSe quantum dots as sensitive cyanide probes in aqueous solutions,” Chemical Communications, no. 7, pp. 883–885, 2005.
- S. Rieger, R. P. Kulkarni, D. Darcy, S. E. Fraser, and R. W. Köster, “Quantum dots are powerful multipurpose vital labeling agents in zebrafish embryos,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 234, no. 3, pp. 670–681, 2005.
- A. Hoshino, K.-I. Hanaki, K. Suzuki, and K. Yamamoto, “Applications of T-lymphoma labeled with fluorescent quantum dots to cell tracing markers in mouse body,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 314, no. 1, pp. 46–53, 2004.
- E. B. Garon, L. Marcu, Q. Luong, O. Tcherniantchouk, G. M. Crooks, and H. P. Koeffler, “Quantum dot labeling and tracking of human leukemic, bone marrow and cord blood cells,” Leukemia Research, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 643–651, 2007.
- N. Manabe, A. Hoshino, Y.-Q. Liang, T. Goto, N. Kato, and K. Yamamoto, “Quantum dot as a drug tracer in vivo,” IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 263–267, 2006.
- F. Pinaud, X. Michalet, L. A. Bentolila et al., “Advances in fluorescence imaging with quantum dot bio-probes,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1679–1687, 2006.
- Y. T. Lim, S. Kim, A. Nakayama, N. E. Stott, M. G. Bawendi, and J. V. Frangioni, “Selection of quantum dot wavelengths for biomedical assays and imaging,” Molecular Imaging, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 50–64, 2003.
- X. Gao and S. Nie, “Molecular profiling of single cells and tissue specimens with quantum dots,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 371–373, 2003.
- H.-Z. Wang, H.-Y. Wang, R.-Q. Liang, and K.-C. Ruan, “Detection of tumor marker CA125 in ovarian carcinoma using quantum dots,” Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 681–686, 2004.
- A. Fu, W. Gu, C. Larabell, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor nanocrystals for biological imaging,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 568–575, 2005.
- J. H. Warner, A. Hoshino, K. Yamamoto, and R. D. Tilley, “Water-soluble photoluminescent silicon quantum dots,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 44, no. 29, pp. 4550–4554, 2005.
- M. Bäumle, D. Stamou, J.-M. Segura, R. Hovius, and H. Vogel, “Highly fluorescent streptavidin-coated CdSe nanoparticles: preparation in water, characterization, and micropatterning,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 3828–3831, 2004.
- Y. Liu, M. Kim, Y. Wang, Y. A. Wang, and X. Peng, “Highly luminescent, stable and water-soluble CdSe/CdS core-shell dendron nanocrystals with carboxylate anchoring groups,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 14, pp. 6341–6345, 2006.
- C.-L. Wu and Y.-B. Zhao, “CdS quantum dots as fluorescence probes for the sensitive and selective detection of highly reactive ions in aqueous solution,” Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 388, no. 3, pp. 717–722, 2007.
- D.-W. Deng, J.-S. Yu, and Y. Pan, “Water-soluble CdSe and CdSe/CdS nanocrystals: a greener synthetic route,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 299, no. 1, pp. 225–232, 2006.
- J. P. Zimmer, S.-W. Kim, S. Ohnishi, E. Tanaka, J. V. Frangioni, and M. G. Bawendi, “Size series of small indium arsenide-zinc selenide core-shell nanocrystals and their application to in vivo imaging,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 8, pp. 2526–2527, 2006.
- J. M. Tsay and X. Michalet, “New light on quantum dot cytotoxicity,” Chemistry & Biology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1159–1161, 2005.
- J. Lovrić, S. J. Cho, F. M. Winnik, and D. Maysinger, “Unmodified cadmium telluride quantum dots induce reactive oxygen species formation leading to multiple organelle damage and cell death,” Chemistry & Biology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1227–1234, 2005.
- J. Lovrić, H. S. Bazzi, Y. Cuie, G. R. A. Fortin, F. M. Winnik, and D. Maysinger, “Differences in subcellular distribution and toxicity of green and red emitting CdTe quantum dots,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 377–385, 2005.
- A. Shiohara, A. Hoshino, K. Hanaki, K. Suzuki, and K. Yamamoto, “On the cyto-toxicity caused by quantum dots,” Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 669–675, 2004.
- S. M. Moghimi, A. C. Hunter, and J. C. Murray, “Long-circulating and target-specific nanoparticles: theory to practice,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 283–318, 2001.
Copyright © 2007 Arthur M. Iga et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.