Biomedical Applications of Colloidal NanocrystalsView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Kimihiro Susumu, H. Tetsuo Uyeda, Igor L. Medintz, Hedi Mattoussi, "Design of Biotin-Functionalized Luminescent Quantum Dots", BioMed Research International, vol. 2007, Article ID 090651, 7 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/90651
Design of Biotin-Functionalized Luminescent Quantum Dots
We report the design and synthesis of a tetraethylene glycol- (TEG-) based bidentate ligand functionalized with dihydrolipoic acid (DHLA) and biotin (DHLA—TEG—biotin) to promote biocompatibility of luminescent quantum dots (QD's). This new ligand readily binds to CdSe—ZnS core-shell QDs via surface ligand exchange. QDs capped with a mixture of DHLA and DHLA—TEG—biotin or polyethylene glycol- (PEG-) (molecular weight average 600) modified DHLA (DHLA—PEG600) and DHLA—TEG—biotin are easily dispersed in aqueous buffer solutions. In particular, homogeneous buffer solutions of QDs capped with a mixture of DHLA—PEG600 and DHLA—TEG—biotin that are stable over broad pH range have been prepared. QDs coated with mixtures of DHLA/DHLA—TEG—biotin and with DHLA—PEG600/DHLA—TEG—biotin were tested in surface binding assays and the results indicate that biotin groups on the QD surface interact specifically with NeutrAvidin-functionalized microtiter well plates.
- M. Bruchez Jr., M. Moronne, P. Gin, S. Weiss, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor nanocrystals as fluorescent biological labels,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2013–2016, 1998.
- X. Gao, Y. Cui, R. M. Levenson, L. W. K. Chung, and S. Nie, “In vivo cancer targeting and imaging with semiconductor quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 969–976, 2004.
- B. Dubertret, P. Skourides, D. J. Norris, V. Noireaux, A. H. Brivanlou, and A. Libchaber, “In vivo imaging of quantum dots encapsulated in phospholipid micelles,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5599, pp. 1759–1762, 2002.
- W. C. W. Chan and S. Nie, “Quantum dot bioconjugates for ultrasensitive nonisotopic detection,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2016–2018, 1998.
- H. Mattoussi, J. M. Mauro, E. R. Goldman et al., “Self-assembly of CdSe-ZnS quantum dot bioconjugates using an engineered recombinant protein,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 122, no. 49, pp. 12142–12150, 2000.
- Y. A. Wang, J. J. Li, H. Chen, and X. Peng, “Stabilization of inorganic nanocrystals by organic dendrons,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 10, pp. 2293–2298, 2002.
- I. L. Medintz, A. R. Clapp, H. Mattoussi, E. R. Goldman, B. R. Fisher, and J. M. Mauro, “Self-assembled nanoscale biosensors based on quantum dot FRET donors,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 630–638, 2003.
- A. R. Clapp, I. L. Medintz, J. M. Mauro, B. R. Fisher, M. G. Bawendi, and H. Mattoussi, “Fluorescence resonance energy transfer between quantum dot donors and dye-labeled protein acceptors,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 301–310, 2004.
- A. R. Clapp, I. L. Medintz, and H. Mattoussi, “Förster resonance energy transfer investigations using quantum-dot fluorophores,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 47–57, 2006.
- F. Patolsky, R. Gill, Y. Weizmann, T. Mokari, U. Banin, and I. Wiliner, “Lighting-up the dynamics of telomerization and DNA replication by CdSe-ZnS quantum dots,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 46, pp. 13918–13919, 2003.
- J. B. Delehanty, I. L. Medintz, T. Pons, F. M. Brunel, P. E. Dawson, and H. Mattoussi, “Self-assembled quantum dot-peptide bioconjugates for selective intracellular delivery,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 920–927, 2006.
- H. T. Uyeda, I. L. Medintz, J. K. Jaiswal, S. M. Simon, and H. Mattoussi, “Synthesis of compact multidentate ligands to prepare stable hydrophilic quantum dot fluorophores,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 11, pp. 3870–3878, 2005.
- A. W. Schwabacher, J. W. Lane, M. W. Schiesher, K. M. Leigh, and C. W. Johnson, “Desymmetrization reactions: efficient preparation of unsymmetrically substituted linker molecules,” The Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1727–1729, 1998.
- S. H. Um, G. S. Lee, Y.-J. Lee, K.-K. Koo, C. Lee, and K. B. Yoon, “Self-assembly of avidin and D-biotin-tethering zeolite microcrystals into fibrous aggregates,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 4455–4459, 2002.
- N. Charvet, P. Reiss, A. Roget et al., “Biotinylated CdSe/ZnSe nanocrystals for specific fluorescent labeling,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 17, pp. 2638–2642, 2004.
- D. Tong, J. Yao, H. Li, and S. Han, “Synthesis and characterization of thermo- and pH-sensitive block copolymers bearing a biotin group at the poly(ethylene oxide) chain end,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 3552–3558, 2006.
- C. B. Murray, D. J. Norris, and M. G. Bawendi, “Synthesis and characterization of nearly monodisperse CdE (E = S, Se, Te) semiconductor nanocrystallites,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 19, pp. 8706–8715, 1993.
- M. A. Hines and P. Guyot-Sionnest, “Synthesis and characterization of strongly luminescing ZnS-capped CdSe nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 468–471, 1996.
- B. O. Dabbousi, J. Rodriguez-Viejo, F. V. Mikulec et al., “(CdSe)ZnS core-shell quantum dots: synthesis and characterization of a size series of highly luminescent nanocrystallites,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 101, no. 46, pp. 9463–9475, 1997.
- Z. A. Peng and X. Peng, “Formation of high-quality CdTe, CdSe, and CdS nanocrystals using CdO as precursor,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 183–184, 2001.
- A. R. Clapp, E. R. Goldman, and H. Mattoussi, “Capping of CdSe-ZnS quantum dots with DHLA and subsequent conjugation with proteins,” Nature Protocols, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 1258–1266, 2006.
- I. L. Medintz, L. Berti, T. Pons et al., “A reactive peptidic linker for self-assembling hybrid quantum dot-DNA bioconjugates,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1741–1748, 2007.
- F. Pinaud, D. King, H.-P. Moore, and S. Weiss, “Bioactivation and cell targeting of semiconductor CdSe/ZnS nanocrystals with phytochelatin-related peptides,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 19, pp. 6115–6123, 2004.
- G. T. Hermanson, in Bioconjugate Techniques, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1996.
Copyright © 2007 Kimihiro Susumu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.