- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 683485, 10 pages
Arginase in Parasitic Infections: Macrophage Activation, Immunosuppression, and Intracellular Signals
Inmunología, CIBICI-CONICET, Departamento de Bioquímica Clínica, Facultad de Ciencias Químicas, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, 5000 Córdoba, Argentina
Received 31 July 2009; Accepted 30 September 2009
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2010 Cinthia C. Stempin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [28 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Eliana Ribechini, Verena Greifenberg, Sarah Sandwick, and Manfred B. Lutz, “Subsets, expansion and activation of myeloid-derived suppressor cells,” Medical Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 199, no. 3, pp. 273–281, 2010.
- Benjamin C. Yan, Can Gong, Jie Song, Thomas Krausz, Maria Tretiakova, Elizabeth Hyjek, Hikmat Al-Ahmadie, Venancio Alves, Shu-Yuan Xiao, Robert A. Anders, and John A. Hart, “Arginase-1 A New Immunohistochemical Marker of Hepatocytes and Hepatocellular Neoplasms,” American Journal Of Surgical Pathology, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1147–1154, 2010.
- Alessandra A. Filardy, Dayana R. Pires, Marise P. Nunes, Christina M. Takiya, Celio G. Freire-de-Lima, Flavia L. Ribeiro-Gomes, and George A. DosReis, “Proinflammatory Clearance of Apoptotic Neutrophils Induces an IL-12(low)IL-10(high) Regulatory Phenotype in Macrophages,” Journal Of Immunology, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 2044–2050, 2010.
- Xu-ping Wang, Yu-guo Chen, Wei-dong Qin, Wei Zhang, Shu-jian Wei, Juan Wang, Fu Qiang Liu, Lei Gong, Feng Shuang An, Yun Zhang, Zhe-Yu Chen, and Ming-Xiang Zhang, “Arginase I Attenuates Inflammatory Cytokine Secretion Induced by Lipopolysaccharide in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells,” Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis And Vascular Biology, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1853–1860, 2011.
- Laura R. Dulgerian, Vanina V. Garrido, Cinthia C. Stempin, and Fabio M. Cerbán, “Programmed death ligand 2 regulates arginase induction and modifies Trypanosoma cruzi survival in macrophages during murine experimental infection,” Immunology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 29–40, 2011.
- D. H. Zhou, Z. G. Yuan, F. R. Zhao, H. L. Li, Y. Zhou, R. Q. Lin, F. C. Zou, H. Q. Song, M. J. Xu, and X. Q. Zhu, “Modulation of mouse macrophage proteome induced by Toxoplasma gondii tachyzoites in vivo,” Parasitology Research, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 1637–1646, 2011.
- Jeremías José Barclay, Luciano Gastón Morosi, María Cristina Vanrell, Edith Corina Trejo, Patricia Silvia Romano, and Carolina Carrillo, “Trypanosoma cruzi coexpressing ornithine decarboxylase and green fluorescence proteins as a tool to study the role of polyamines in chagas disease pathology,” Enzyme Research, vol. 2011, no. 1, 2011.
- Nuria Tormo, María del Remedio Guna, María Teresa Fraile, María Dolores Ocete, Africa Garcia, David Navalpotro, Mercedes Chanzá, José Luis Ramos, and Concepción Gimeno, “Immunity to parasites,” Current Immunology Reviews, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 25–43, 2011.
- Xiu-Fen Ming, Angana G. Rajapakse, Gautham Yepuri, Yuyan Xiong, Joao M. Carvas, Jean Ruffieux, Isabelle Scerri, Zongsong Wu, Katja Popp, Jianhui Li, Claudio Sartori, Urs Scherrer, Brenda R. Kwak, Jean-Pierre Montani, and Zhihong Yang, “Arginase II Promotes Macrophage Inflammatory Responses Through Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species, Contributing to Insulin Resistance and Atherogenesis,” Journal of The American Heart Association, vol. 1, no. 4, 2012.
- Lucia L. Rupil, Andreza F. de Bem, and German A. Roth, “Diphenyl diselenide-modulation of macrophage activation: Down-regulation of classical and alternative activation markers,” Innate Immunity, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 627–637, 2012.
- Aarash Bordbar, Monica L. Mo, Ernesto S. Nakayasu, Alexandra C. Schrimpe-Rutledge, Young-Mo Kim, Thomas O. Metz, Marcus B. Jones, Bryan C. Frank, Richard D. Smith, Scott N. Peterson, Daniel R. Hyduke, Joshua N. Adkins, and Bernhard O. Palsson, “Model-driven multi-omic data analysis elucidates metabolic immunomodulators of macrophage activation,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 8, 2012.
- Zhi Li, Zhi-Jun Zhao, Xing-Quan Zhu, Qing-Shi Ren, Fang-Fang Nie, Jiang-Mei Gao, Xiao-Jie Gao, Ting-Bao Yang, Wen-Liang Zhou, Ji-Long Shen, Yong Wang, Fang-Li Lu, Xiao-Guang Chen, Geoff Hide, Francisco J. Ayala, and Zhao-Rong Lun, “Differences in iNOS and Arginase Expression and Activity in the Macrophages of Rats Are Responsible for the Resistance against T. gondii Infection,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 4, 2012.
- E. Yaneth Osorio, Weiguo Zhao, Claudia Espitia, Omar Saldarriaga, Leo Hawel, Craig V. Byus, Bruno L. Travi, and Peter C. Melby, “Progressive Visceral Leishmaniasis Is Driven by Dominant Parasite-induced STAT6 Activation and STAT6-dependent Host Arginase 1 Expression,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 8, no. 1, 2012.
- Caterina Pellizzari, Aleksei Krasnov, Sergey Afanasyev, Nicola Vitulo, Rafaella Franch, Sara Pegolo, Tomaso Patarnello, and Luca Bargelloni, “High mortality of juvenile gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) from photobacteriosis is associated with alternative macrophage activation and anti-inflammatory response: Results of gene expression profiling of early responses in the head kidney,” Fish & Shellfish Immunology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1269–1278, 2013.
- Devikala Gurusamy, Jerilyn K. Gray, Peterson Pathrose, Rishikesh M. Kulkarni, Fred D. Finkleman, and Susan E. Waltz, “Myeloid-specific expression of Ron receptor kinase promotes prostate tumor growth,” Cancer Research, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1752–1763, 2013.
- B. Basso, and V. Marini, “Experimental Chagas disease. Innate immune response in Balb/c mice previously vaccinated with Trypanosoma rangeli. I. The macrophage shows immunological memory: reality or fiction?,” Immunobiology, 2013.
- Xiu-Fen Ming, and Zhihong Yang, “Functions and Mechanisms of Arginase in Age-Associated Cardiovascular Diseases,” Current Translational Geriatrics and Experimental Gerontology Reports, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 268–274, 2013.
- Alberto N. Peón, Arlett Espinoza-Jiménez, and Luis I. Terrazas, “Immunoregulation by Taenia crassiceps and Its Antigens,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- M. A. Duque-Correa, A. A. Kuhl, P. C. Rodriguez, U. Zedler, S. Schommer-Leitner, M. Rao, J. Weiner, R. Hurwitz, J. E. Qualls, G. A. Kosmiadi, P. J. Murray, S. H. E. Kaufmann, and S. T. Reece, “Macrophage arginase-1 controls bacterial growth and pathology in hypoxic tuberculosis granulomas,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 111, no. 38, pp. E4024–E4032, 2014.
- C. G. Molteni, N. Principi, and S. Esposito, “Reactive oxygen and nitrogen species during viral infections,” Free Radical Research, pp. 1–7, 2014.
- E. Yaneth Osorio, Bruno L. Travi, Alda M. da Cruz, Omar A. Saldarriaga, Audrie A. Medina, and Peter C. Melby, “Growth Factor and Th2 Cytokine Signaling Pathways Converge at STAT6 to Promote Arginase Expression in Progressive Experimental Visceral Leishmaniasis,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 10, no. 6, 2014.
- Abebe Genetu Bayih, Nada S. Daifalla, and Lashitew Gedamu, “DNA-Protein Immunization Using Leishmania Peroxidoxin-1 Induces a Strong CD4(+) T Cell Response and Partially Protects Mice from Cutaneous Leishmanias,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 8, no. 12, 2014.
- Eugenia Bifeld, and Joachim Clos, “The genetics of Leishmania virulence,” Medical Microbiology and Immunology, 2015.
- Constanze Pietsch, Barbara A. Katzenback, Erick Garcia-Garcia, Carsten Schulz, Miodrag Belosevic, and Patricia Burkhardt-Holm, “Acute and subchronic effects on immune responses of carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) after exposure to deoxynivalenol (DON) in feed,” Mycotoxin Research, 2015.
- Takuya Yamaguchi, Fumio Takizawa, Uwe Fischer, and Johannes Dijkstra, “Along the Axis between Type 1 and Type 2 Immunity; Principles Conserved in Evolution from Fish to Mammals,” Biology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 814–859, 2015.
- Debanjan Mukhopadhyay, Shibabrata Mukherjee, Susmita Roy, Jane E. Dalton, Sunanda Kundu, Avijit Sarkar, Nilay K. Das, Paul M. Kaye, and Mitali Chatterjee, “M2 Polarization of Monocytes-Macrophages Is a Hallmark of Indian Post Kala-Azar Dermal Leishmaniasis,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 9, no. 10, 2015.
- Tamás Rőszer, “Understanding the Mysterious M2 Macrophage through Activation Markers and Effector Mechanisms,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2015, pp. 1–16, 2015.
- Yianzhu Liu, Malgorzata Kloc, and Xian C. Li, “Macrophages as Effectors of Acute and Chronic Allograft Injury,” Current Transplantation Reports, 2016.