- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 719361, 8 pages
The Prominent Role of Neutrophils during the Initial Phase of Infection by Leishmania Parasites
WHO Immunology Research and Training Center, Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Received 6 July 2009; Accepted 6 August 2009
Academic Editor: Abhay R. Satoskar
Copyright © 2010 Mélanie Charmoy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [31 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Alessandra A. Filardy, Dayana R. Pires, Marise P. Nunes, Christina M. Takiya, Celio G. Freire-de-Lima, Flavia L. Ribeiro-Gomes, and George A. DosReis, “Proinflammatory Clearance of Apoptotic Neutrophils Induces an IL-12(low)IL-10(high) Regulatory Phenotype in Macrophages,” Journal Of Immunology, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 2044–2050, 2010.
- J. Santiago Mejia, Amanda L. Toot-Zimmer, Patricia C. Schultheiss, Barry J. Beaty, and Richard G. Titus, “BluePort: A Platform to Study the Eosinophilic Response of Mice to the Bite of a Vector of Leishmania Parasites, Lutzomyia longipalpis Sand Flies,” Plos One, vol. 5, no. 10, 2010.
- Deboraci Brito Prates, Theo Araujo-Santos, Nivea Farias Luz, Bruno B. Andrade, Jaqueline Franca-Costa, Lilian Afonso, Jorge Clarencio, Jose Carlos Miranda, Patricia T. Bozza, George A. DosReis, Claudia Brodskyn, Manoel Barral-Netto, Valeria de Matos Borges, and Aldina Barral, “Lutzomyia longipalpis saliva drives apoptosis and enhances parasite burden in neutrophils,” Journal Of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 575–582, 2011.
- Ivy Pal, and Joshua D. Ramsey, “The role of the lymphatic system in vaccine trafficking and immune response,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 63, no. 10-11, pp. 909–922, 2011.
- Catherine Uyttenhove, Reece G. Marillier, Fabienne Tacchini-Cottier, Melanie Charmoy, Rachel R. Caspi, Jesse M. Damsker, Stanislas Goriely, Dan Su, Jo Van Damme, Sofie Struyf, Ghislain Opdenakker, and Jacques Van Snick, “Technical Advance: Amine-reactive OVA multimers for auto-vaccination against cytokines and other mediators: perspectives illustrated for GCP-2 in L. major infection,” Journal Of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1001–1007, 2011.
- Amir I. Elshafie, Erik Åhlin, Lena Douhan Håkansson, Gehad Elghazali, Sayda Hassan El Safi, Johan Rönnelid, and Per Venge, “Activity and turnover of eosinophil and neutrophil granulocytes are altered in visceral leishmaniasis,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 41, no. 3-4, pp. 463–469, 2011.
- Colin J. Thalhofer, Yani Chen, Bayan Sudan, Laurie Love-Homan, and Mary E. Wilson, “Leukocytes Infiltrate the Skin and Draining Lymph Nodes in Response to the Protozoan Leishmania infantum chagasi,” Infection And Immunity, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 108–117, 2011.
- Tamrat Abebe, Asrat Hailu, Mihretu Woldeyes, Woinshet Mekonen, Kassahun Bilcha, Thomas Cloke, Lionel Fry, Nafisa-Katrin Seich al Basatena, Karina Corware, Manuel Modolell, Markus Munder, Fabienne Tacchini-Cottier, Ingrid Mueller, and Pascale Kropf, “Local Increase of Arginase Activity in Lesions of Patients with Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in Ethiopia,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 6, no. 6, 2012.
- Flavia L. Ribeiro-Gomes, and David Sacks, “The influence of early neutrophil-Leishmania interactions on the host immune response to infection,” Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, vol. 2, 2012.
- Flavia L. Ribeiro-Gomes, Nathan C. Peters, Alain Debrabant, and David L. Sacks, “Efficient Capture of Infected Neutrophils by Dendritic Cells in the Skin Inhibits the Early Anti-Leishmania Response,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 8, no. 2, 2012.
- Rafael Balana-Fouce, Estefania Calvo-Alvarez, Raquel Alvarez-Velilla, Christopher F. Prada, Yolanda Perez-Pertejo, and Rosa M. Reguera, “Role of trypanosomatid's arginase in polyamine biosynthesis and pathogenesis,” Molecular And Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 85–93, 2012.
- Deboraci Brito Prates, Théo Araújo-Santos, Cláudia Brodskyn, Manoel Barral-Netto, Aldina Barral, and Valéria Matos Borges, “New Insights on the Inflammatory Role of Lutzomyia longipalpis Saliva in Leishmaniasis,” Journal of Parasitology Research, vol. 2012, pp. 1–11, 2012.
- Fabienne Tacchini-Cottier, Tiffany Weinkopff, and Pascal Launois, “Does T helper differentiation correlate with resistance or susceptibility to infection with L. Major? Some insights from the murine model,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 3, 2012.
- James Alexander, and Frank Brombacher, “T helper1/T helper2 cells and resistance/susceptibility to Leishmania infection: Is this paradigm still relevant?,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 3, 2012.
- Lucas P. Carvalho, Sara Passos, Albert Schriefer, and Edgar M. Carvalho, “Protective and pathologic immune responses in human tegumentary leishmaniasis,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 3, 2012.
- Cerquetella Matteo, Spaziante Daniele, Laus Fulvio, Beribe Francesca, Marini Carlotta, Preziuso Silvia, Cuteri Vincenzo, Spaterna Andrea, and Tesei Beniamino, “Applications of quantitative serum neopterin determination in dogs affected by leishmaniasis-preliminary study,” Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, vol. 11, no. 21, pp. 3937–3942, 2012.
- Yang Xiang, Yun Zhang, Xuan Wang, Chao Yan, Qian Gao, Sheng-An Li, Jie Liu, Kaifeng Zhou, Xiaolong Guo, and Wenhui Lee, “Adenosine-5'-Triphosphate (ATP) Protects Mice against Bacterial Infection by Activation of the NLRP3 Inflammasome,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 5, 2013.
- Pradyot Bhattacharya, and Nahid Ali, “Involvement and interactions of different immune cells and their cytokines in human visceral leishmaniasis,” Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical, vol. 46, no. 2, 2013.
- Pampa Bhaumik, Guillaume St-Pierre, Valerie Milot, Christian St-Pierre, and Sachiko Sato, “Galectin-3 Facilitates Neutrophil Recruitment as an Innate Immune Response to a Parasitic Protozoa Cutaneous Infection,” Journal Of Immunology, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 630–640, 2013.
- Adélaïde Nieguitsila, Roger Frutos, Catherine Moulia, Nathaly Lhermitte-Vallarino, Odile Bain, Laurent Gavotte, and Coralie Martin, “Fitness Cost of Litomosoides sigmodontis Filarial Infection in Mite Vectors; Implications of Infected Haematophagous Arthropod Excretory Products in Host-Vector Interactions,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Alireza Keyhani, Farhad Riazi-Rad, Saeed Reza Pakzad, and Soheila Ajdary, “ Human polymorphonuclear leukocytes produce cytokines in response to Leishmania major promastigotes ,” Apmis, 2014.
- N. M. Tavares, T. Araujo-Santos, L. Afonso, P. M. Nogueira, U. G. Lopes, R. P. Soares, P. T. Bozza, C. Bandeira-Melo, V. M. Borges, and C. Brodskyn, “Understanding the Mechanisms Controlling Leishmania amazonensis Infection In Vitro: The Role of LTB4 Derived From Human Neutrophils,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2014.
- Andrezza C. Chagas, Fabiano Oliveira, Alain Debrabant, Jesus G. Valenzuela, Jose M. C. Ribeiro, and Eric Calvo, “Lundep, a Sand Fly Salivary Endonuclease Increases Leishmania Parasite Survival in Neutrophils and Inhibits XIIa Contact Activation in Human Plasma,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 10, no. 2, 2014.
- Benjamin Weber, Steffen Schuster, Daniel Zysset, Silvia Rihs, Nina Dickgreber, Christian Schurch, Carsten Riether, Mark Siegrist, Christoph Schneider, Helga Pawelski, Ursina Gurzeler, Pascal Ziltener, Vera Genitsch, Fabienne Tacchini-Cottier, Adrian Ochsenbein, Willy Hofstetter, Manfred Kopf, Thomas Kaufmann, Annette Oxenius, Walter Reith, Leslie Saurer, and Christoph Mueller, “TREM-1 Deficiency Can Attenuate Disease Severity without Affecting Pathogen Clearance,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 10, no. 1, 2014.
- Benjamin P. Hurrell, Steffen Schuster, Eva Gruen, Manuel Coutaz, Roderick A. Williams, Werner Held, Bernard Malissen, Marie Malissen, Shida Yousefi, Hans-Uwe Simon, Andreas J. Mueller, and Fabienne Tacchini-Cottier, “Rapid Sequestration of Leishmania mexicana by Neutrophils Contributes to the Development of Chronic Lesion,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 11, no. 5, 2015.
- Sarah A. C. Falcao, Tiffany Weinkopff, Benjamin P. Hurrell, Fabiana S. Celes, Rebecca P. Curvelo, Deboraci B. Prates, Aldina Barral, Valeria M. Borges, Fabienne Tacchini-Cottier, and Camila I. de Oliveira, “Exposure to Leishmania braziliensis Triggers Neutrophil Activation and Apoptosis,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 9, no. 3, 2015.
- Vanessa Diniz Atayde, Kasra Hassani, Alonso da Silva Lira Filho, Andrezza Raposo Borges, Anupam Adhikari, Caroline Martel, and Martin Olivier, “Leishmania Exosomes and other Virulence Factors: Impact on Innate Immune Response and Macrophage Functions,” Cellular Immunology, 2016.
- Rafael Ricci-Azevedo, Aline Ferreira Oliveira, Marina C. A. V. Conrado, Fernanda Caroline Carvalho, and Maria Cristina Roque-Barreira, “Neutrophils Contribute to the Protection Conferred by ArtinM against Intracellular Pathogens: A Study on Leishmania major,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 10, no. 4, 2016.
- Benjamin P. Hurrell, Ivo B. Regli, and Fabienne Tacchini-Cottier, “Different Leishmania Species Drive Distinct Neutrophil Functions,” Trends in Parasitology, 2016.
- Young-Su Yi, “Functional Role of Milk Fat Globule-Epidermal Growth Factor VIII in Macrophage-Mediated Inflammatory Responses and Inflammatory/Autoimmune Diseases,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2016, pp. 1–12, 2016.
- Liliana M. R. Silva, Tamara Muñoz-Caro, Rafael A. Burgos, Maria A. Hidalgo, Anja Taubert, and Carlos Hermosilla, “ Far beyond Phagocytosis: Phagocyte-Derived Extracellular Traps Act Efficiently against Protozoan Parasites In Vitro and In Vivo ,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2016, pp. 1–13, 2016.