- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 981214, 12 pages
The Gut Microbiota and Human Health with an Emphasis on the Use of Microencapsulated Bacterial Cells
Biomedical Technology and Cell Therapy Research Laboratory, Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Physiology and Artificial Cells and Organs Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, 3775 University Street, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2B4
Received 19 November 2010; Revised 16 February 2011; Accepted 11 April 2011
Academic Editor: Eric C. Martens
Copyright © 2011 Satya Prakash et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [29 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Shyamali Saha, Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Maryam Tabrizian, and Satya Prakash, “Probiotics as oral health biotherapeutics,” Expert Opinion On Biological Therapy, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1207–1220, 2012.
- Lidia Daimiel, Teodoro Vargas, and Ana Ramírez de Molina, “Nutritional genomics for the characterization of the effect of bioactive molecules in lipid metabolism and related pathways,” Electrophoresis, vol. 33, no. 15, pp. 2266–2289, 2012.
- Catia M. Peres, Cidalia Peres, Adrian Hernandez-Mendoza, and F. Xavier Malcata, “Review on fermented plant materials as carriers and sources of potentially probiotic lactic acid bacteria - With an emphasis on table olives,” Trends In Food Science & Technology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 31–42, 2012.
- Shaun Kernaghan, Adina R. Bujold, and Janet I. MacInnes, “The microbiome of the soft palate of swine,” Animal Health Research Reviews, vol. 13, no. 01, pp. 110–120, 2012.
- Mitchell L. Jones, Christopher J. Martoni, Sandeep Tamber, Mathieu Parent, and Satya Prakash, “Evaluation of safety and tolerance of microencapsulated Lactobacillus reuteri NCIMB 30242 in a yogurt formulation: A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 2216–2223, 2012.
- Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Shyamali Saha, Meenakshi Malhotra, Michael Coussa-Charley, Imen Kahouli, Mitchell L. Jones, Alain Labbé, and Satya Prakash, “Probiotic ferulic acid esterase active Lactobacillus fermentum NCIMB 5221 APA microcapsules for oral delivery: Preparation and in vitro characterization,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 236–248, 2012.
- Nele Friedrich, “Metabolomics in diabetes research,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 215, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 2012.
- Judith Aron-Wisnewsky, Joel Doré, and Karine Clement, “The importance of the gut microbiota after bariatric surgery,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 590–598, 2012.
- Martina Perše, and Anton Cerar, “Dextran Sodium Sulphate Colitis Mouse Model: Traps and Tricks,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–13, 2012.
- Shyamali Saha, Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Jamal T Daoud, Maryam Tabrizian, and Satya Prakash, “ Novel probiotic dissolvable carboxymethyl cellulose films as oral health biotherapeutics: in vitro preparation and characterization ,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, pp. 1–12, 2013.
- Mitchell L Jones, Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Christopher J Martoni, and Satya Prakash, “Cholesterol lowering with bile salt hydrolase-active probiotic bacteria, mechanism of action, clinical evidence, and future direction for heart health applications,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 631–642, 2013.
- T. Takada, T. Kurakawa, H. Tsuji, and K. Nomoto, “Fusicatenibacter saccharivorans gen. nov., sp. nov., isolated from human faeces,” International Journal Of Systematic And Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 63, no. Pt10, pp. 3691–3696, 2013.
- David J Brayden, and Alan W Baird, “Opportunities for drug-delivery research in nutraceuticals and functional foods?,” Therapeutic Delivery, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 301–305, 2013.
- Jasmine Bhathena, Christopher Martoni, Arun Kulamarva, Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Meenakshi Malhotra, Arghya Paul, Aleksandra Malgorzata Urbanska, and Satya Prakash, “Oral Probiotic Microcapsule Formulation Ameliorates Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Bio F1B Golden Syrian Hamsters,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 3, 2013.
- Lin Cai, Feng Ju, and Tong Zhang, “Tracking human sewage microbiome in a municipal wastewater treatment plant,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2013.
- Laetitia Rodes, Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Shyamali Saha, Arghya Paul, Meenakshi Malhotra, Daniel Marinescu, Wei Shao, Imen Kahouli, and Satya Prakash, “
ATCC 15697 within the human gut microbiota using alginate-poly-
l-lysine-alginate microencapsulation oral delivery system: an in vitro analysis using a computer-controlled dynamic human gastrointestinal model ,” Journal of Microencapsulation, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- Rocío I. Corona-Hernandez, Emilio Álvarez-Parrilla, Jaime Lizardi-Mendoza, Alma R. Islas-Rubio, Laura. A. de la Rosa, and Abraham Wall-Medrano, “Structural Stability and Viability of Microencapsulated Probiotic Bacteria: A Review,” Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 614–628, 2013.
- Martina Perše, “Oxidative Stress in the Pathogenesis of Colorectal Cancer: Cause or Consequence?,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Shyamali Saha, Meenakshi Malhotra, Imen Kahouli, and Satya Prakash, “Microencapsulation for the Therapeutic Delivery of Drugs, Live Mammalian and Bacterial Cells, and Other Biopharmaceutics: Current Status and Future Directions,” Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 2013, pp. 1–19, 2013.
- Rui Guo, and Lee D. Wilson, “Cyclodextrin-based microcapsule materials - their preparation and physiochemical properties,” Current Organic Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 2013.
- S. Saha, C. Tomaro-Duchesneau, L. Rodes, M. Malhotra, M. Tabrizian, and S. Prakash, “Investigation of probiotic bacteria as dental caries and periodontal disease biotherapeutics,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 1, no. -1, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- G.M. Maciel, K.S. Chaves, C.R.F. Grosso, and M.L. Gigante, “Microencapsulation of Lactobacillus acidophilus La-5 by spray-drying using sweet whey and skim milk as encapsulating materials,” Journal of Dairy Science, 2014.
- C.L. Randazzo, A. Pino, L. Ricciardi, C. Romano, D. Comito, E. Arena, S. Saitta, and C. Caggia, “Probiotic supplementation in systemic nickel allergy syndrome patients: study of its effects on lactic acid bacteria population and on clinical symptoms,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2014.
- Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Shyamali Saha, Meenakshi Malhotra, Mitchell L. Jones, Alain Labbe, Laetitia Rodes, Imen Kahouli, and Satya Prakash, “Effect of orally administered L. fermentum NCIMB 5221 on markers of metabolic syndrome: an in vivo analysis using ZDF rats,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 2014.
- Eustacchio Montemurno, Carmela Cosola, Giuseppe Dalfino, Giuseppe Daidone, Maria De Angelis, Marco Gobbetti, and Loreto Gesualdo, “What Would You Like to Eat, Mr CKD Microbiota? A Mediterranean Diet, please!,” Kidney & Blood Pressure Research, vol. 39, no. 2-3, pp. 114–123, 2014.
- Catherine Tomaro-Duchesneau, Mitchell L. Jones, Divya Shah, Poonam Jain, Shyamali Saha, and Satya Prakash, “ Cholesterol Assimilation by Lactobacillus Probiotic Bacteria: An In Vitro Investigation ,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Veronica Ionela Moroeanu, Emanuel Vamanu, Gabriela Paun, Elena Neagu, Oana Rodica Ungureanu, Sandra A. V. Eremia, Gabriel-Lucian Radu, Robertina Ionescu, and Diana Roxana Pelinescu, “Probiotic Strains Influence on Infant Microbiota in the In Vitro Colonic Fermentation Model GIS1,” Indian Journal of Microbiology, 2015.
- Alessandra Mezzelani, Martina Landini, Francesco Facchiano, Maria Elisabetta Raggi, Laura Villa, Massimo Molteni, Barbara De Santis, Carlo Brera, Anna Maria Caroli, Luciano Milanesi, and Anna Marabotti, “Environment, dysbiosis, immunity and sex-specific susceptibility: A translational hypothesis for regressive autism pathogenesis,” Nutritional Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 145–161, 2015.
- Yuanyuan Chen, Ye Zhao, Qiao Cheng, Depei Wu, and Haiyan Liu, “The Role of Intestinal Microbiota in Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease,” Journal of Immunology Research, vol. 2015, pp. 1–9, 2015.