- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 245968, 8 pages
An Integrative Approach to Infer Regulation Programs in a Transcription Regulatory Module Network
1Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Freiburg, Albertstraße 19, 79104 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
2Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve Boulevard W, Montreal, QC, Canada H3G 1M8
Received 27 October 2011; Accepted 12 February 2012
Academic Editor: Yong Lim
Copyright © 2012 Jianlong Qi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Tegnér, M. K.S. Yeung, J. Hasty, and J. J. Collins, “Reverse engineering gene networks: integrating genetic perturbations with dynamical modeling,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 5944–5949, 2003.
- D. Heckerman, “A tutorial on learning with Bayesian networks,” in Learning in Graphical Models, pp. 301–354, MIT Press, 1999.
- N. Friedman, M. Linial, and I. Nachman, “Using Bayesian networks to analyze expression data,” Journal of Computational Biology, vol. 7, no. 3-4, pp. 601–620, 2000.
- E. Segal, B. Taskar, A. Gasch, N. Friedman, and D. Koller, “Rich probabilistic models for gene expression,” Bioinformatics, vol. 17, no. 1, supplement 1, pp. S243–S252, 2001.
- E. Segal, M. Shapira, A. Regev et al., “Module networks: identifying regulatory modules and their condition-specific regulators from gene expression data,” Nature Genetics, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 166–176, 2003.
- J. Li, Z. J. Liu, Y. C. Pan et al., “Regulatory module network of basic/helix-loop-helix transcription factors in mouse brain,” Genome Biology, vol. 8, no. 11, article no. R244, 2007.
- E. Bonnet, T. Michoel, and Y. van de Peer, “Prediction of a gene regulatory network linked to prostate cancer from gene expression, microRNA and clinical data,” Bioinformatics, vol. 26, no. 18, Article ID btq395, pp. i638–i644, 2010.
- A. P. Dempster, N. M. Laird, and D. B. Rubin, “Maximum likelihood from incomplete data via the EM algorithm,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1–38, 1977.
- A. Joshi, R. De Smet, K. Marchal, Y. Van de Peer, and T. Michoel, “Module networks revisited: computational assessment and prioritization of model predictions,” Bioinformatics, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 490–496, 2009.
- J. Qi, T. Michoel, and G. Butler, “Applying linear models tolearn regulation programs in a transcription regulatory module network,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Evolutionary Computation, Machine Learning and Data Mining in Bioinformatics, pp. 37–47, 2011.
- G. K. Smyth, “Linear models and empirical Bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments,” Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, vol. 3, article3, 2004.
- J. Qi, T. Michoel, and G. Butler, “A regression tree-based Gibbs sampler to learn the regulation programs in a transcription regulatory module network,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, pp. 206–215, 2010.
- R. Bonneau, D. J. Reiss, P. Shannon et al., “The inferelator: an algorithn for learning parsimonious regulatory networks from systems-biology data sets de novo,” Genome Biology, vol. 7, no. 5, article no. R36, 2006.
- T. Michoel, R. De Smet, A. Joshi, Y. Van de Peer, and K. Marchal, “Comparative analysis of module-based versus direct methods for reverse-engineering transcriptional regulatory networks,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 3, no. 1, article no. 49, 2009.
- V. Pihur, S. Datta, and S. Datta, “Weighted rank aggregation of cluster validation measures: a Monte Carlo cross-entropy approach,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 13, pp. 1607–1615, 2007.
- A. P. Gasch, P. T. Spellman, C. M. Kao et al., “Genomic expression programs in the response of yeast cells to environmental changes,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 4241–4257, 2000.
- A. Joshi, Y. Van de peer, and T. Michoel, “Analysis of a Gibbs sampler method for model-based clustering of gene expression data,” Bioinformatics, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 176–183, 2008.
- B. Magasanik and C. A. Kaiser, “Nitrogen regulation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Gene, vol. 290, no. 1-2, pp. 1–18, 2002.
- T. S. Cunningham, R. Rai, and T. G. Cooper, “The level of DAL80 expression down-regulates GATA factor-mediated transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 182, no. 23, pp. 6584–6591, 2000.
- P. T. Monteiro, N. D. Mendes, M. C. Teixeira et al., “YEASTRACT-DISCOVERER: new tools to improve the analysis of transcriptional regulatory associations in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, supplement 1, pp. D132–D136, 2008.
- V. Pihur, S. Datta, and S. Datta, “RankAggreg, an R package for weighted rank aggregation,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 10, no. 1, article no. 62, 2009.
- G. Stolovitzky, R. J. Prill, and A. Califano, “Lessons from the DREAM2 challenges: a community effort to assess biological network inference,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1158, pp. 159–195, 2009.
- J. J. Faith, B. Hayete, J. T. Thaden et al., “Large-scale mapping and validation of Escherichia coli transcriptional regulation from a compendium of expression profiles,” PLoS Biology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 54–66, 2007.
- R. J. Prill, D. Marbach, J. Saez-Rodriguez et al., “Towards a rigorous assessment of systems biology models: the DREAM3 challenges,” PLoS One, vol. 5, no. 2, Article ID e9202, 2010.