- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 482568, 10 pages
Characterization of Porcine Endogenous Retrovirus Clones from the NIH Miniature Pig BAC Library
1Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305-764, Republic of Korea
2Research and Analysis Division, National Agricultural Products Quality Management Service, Gyungki 430-824, Republic of Korea
3Subtropical Animal Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, Jeju 690-150, Republic of Korea
4Division of Applied Life Science, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju 660-701, Republic of Korea
Received 27 April 2011; Revised 8 June 2011; Accepted 16 June 2011
Academic Editor: Guihua H. Bai
Copyright © 2012 Seong-Lan Yu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Blusch, C. Patience, and U. Martin, “Pig endogenous retroviruses and xenotransplantation,” Xenotransplantation, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 242–251, 2002.
- C. Patience, Y. Takeuchi, and R. A. Weiss, “Infection of human cells by an endogenous retrovirus of pigs,” Nature Medicine, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 282–286, 1997.
- J. H. Frühauf, H. Mertsching, S. Giri, N. R. Frühauf, and A. Bader, “Porcine endogenous retrovirus released bya bioartificial liver infects primary human cells,” Liver International, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1553–1561, 2009.
- D. Louz, H. E. Bergmans, B. P. Loos, and R. C. Hoeben, “Reappraisal of biosafety risks posed by PERVs in xenotransplantation,” Reviews in Medical Virology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 53–65, 2008.
- R. Valdes-Gonzalez, L. M. Dorantes, E. Bracho-Blanchet, A. Rodríguez-Ventura, and D. J. G. White, “No evidence of porcine endogenous retrovirus in patients with type 1 diabetes after long-term porcine islet xenotransplantation,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 331–334, 2010.
- J. Denner, “Recombinant porcine endogenous retroviruses (PERV-A/C): a new risk for xenotransplantation?” Xenotransplantation, vol. 17, p. 120, 2010.
- D. E. Akiyoshi, M. Denaro, H. Zhu, J. L. Greenstein, P. Banerjee, and J. A. Fishman, “Identification of a full-length cDNA for an endogenous retrovirus of miniature swine,” Journal of Virology, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 4503–4507, 1998.
- P. Le Tissier, J. P. Stoye, Y. Takeuchi, C. Patience, and R. A. Weiss, “Two sets of human-tropic pig retrovirus,” Nature, vol. 389, no. 6652, pp. 681–682, 1997.
- M. Gorbovitskaia, Z. Liu, N. Bourgeaux et al., “Characterization of two porcine endogenous retrovirus integration loci and variability in pigs,” Immunogenetics, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 262–270, 2003.
- J. H. Lee, G. C. Webb, R. D. M. Allen, and C. Moran, “Characterizing and mapping porcine endogenous retroviruses in Westran pigs,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 11, pp. 5548–5556, 2002.
- B. Dieckhoff, B. Petersen, W. A. Kues, R. Kurth, H. Niemann, and J. Denner, “Knockdown of porcine endogenous retrovirus (PERV) expression by PERV-specific shRNA in transgenic pigs,” Xenotransplantation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 36–45, 2008.
- J. Ramsoondar, T. Vaught, S. Ball, et al., “The piglet as a model for B cell and immune system development,” Xenotransplantation, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 164–180, 2009.
- J. S. Allan, G. A. Rose, J. K. Choo et al., “Morphometric analyses to predict appropriate donor size for swine-to-human cardiac xenotransplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 31, no. 1-2, pp. 975–977, 1999.
- C. A. Wilson, “Endogenous retroviruses: porcine endogenous retroviruses and xenotransplantation,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 65, no. 21, pp. 3399–3412, 2008.
- C. A. Wilson, S. Laeeq, A. Ritzhaupt, W. Colon-Moran, and F. K. Yoshimura, “Sequence analysis of porcine endogenous retrovirus long terminal repeats and identification of transcriptional regulatory regions,” Journal of Virology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 142–149, 2003.
- G. Scheef, N. Fischer, E. Flory, I. Schmitt, and R. R. Tönjes, “Transcriptional regulation of porcine endogenous retroviruses released from porcine and infected human cells by heterotrimeric protein complex NF-Y and impact of immunosuppressive drugs,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 24, pp. 12553–12563, 2002.
- J. W. Huh, D. S. Kim, H. S. Ha et al., “Identification and molecular characterization of PERV Gamma1 long terminal repeats,” Molecules and Cells, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 119–123, 2009.
- W. Y. Jung, J. E. Kim, K. C. Jung et al., “Comparison of PERV genomic locations between Asian and European pigs,” Animal Genetics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 89–92, 2010.
- C. Rogel-Gaillard, N. Bourgeaux, A. Billault, M. Vaiman, and P. Chardon, “Construction of a swine BAC library: application to the characterization and mapping of porcine type C endoviral elements,” Cytogenetics and Cell Genetics, vol. 85, no. 3-4, pp. 205–211, 1999.
- C. Rogel-Gaillard, H. Hayes, N. Bourgeaux, and P. Chardon, “Assignment1 of two new loci for gamma 1 porcine endogenous retroviruses (γ1 PERV) to pig chromosome bands 2q21 and 11q12 by in situ hybridization,” Cytogenetics and Cell Genetics, vol. 95, no. 1-2, pp. 112–113, 2001.
- M. A. Larkin, G. Blackshields, N. P. Brown et al., “Clustal W and Clustal X version 2.0,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 2947–2948, 2007.
- G. Benson, “Tandem repeats finder: a program to analyze DNA sequences,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 573–580, 1999.
- D. Milan, R. Hawken, C. Cabau et al., “IMpRH server: an RH mapping server available on the web,” Bioinformatics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 558–559, 2000.
- M. Yerle, P. Pinton, A. Robic et al., “Construction of a whole-genome radiation hybrid panel for high-resolution gene mapping in pigs,” Cytogenetics and Cell Genetics, vol. 82, no. 3-4, pp. 182–188, 1998.
- T. Fujimura, S. Miyagawa, Y. Takahagi, T. Shigehisa, and H. Murakami, “Prevalence of porcine endogenous retroviruses in domestic, minature, and genetically modified pigs in Japan,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 594–595, 2008.
- B. Dieckhoff, B. Kessler, D. Jobst et al., “Distribution and expression of porcine endogenous retroviruses in multi-transgenic pigs generated for xenotransplantation,” Xenotransplantation, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 64–73, 2009.
- J. C. Wood, G. Quinn, K. M. Suling et al., “Identification of exogenous forms of human-tropic porcine endogenous retrovirus in miniature swine,” Journal of Virology, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 2494–2501, 2004.
- K. C. Jung, D. M. Simond, C. Moran et al., “Investigation of deletion variation and methylation patterns in the LTR of porcine endogenous retroviruses,” Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1572–1584, 2008.
- S. J. Park, J. W. Huh, D. S. Kim et al., “Analysis of the molecular and regulatory properties of active porcine endogenous retrovirus gamma-1 long terminal repeats in kidney tissues of the NIH-Miniature pig,” Molecules and Cells, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 319–325, 2010.