- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 138012, 19 pages
Cloud Infrastructures for In Silico Drug Discovery: Economic and Practical Aspects
1Institute of Applied Mathematics and Information Technologies, National Research Council of Italy, via de Marini 6, 16149 Genoa, Italy
2Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Italian Grid Infrastructure, via Ranzani 13/2, 40127 Bologna, Italy
3Institute of Biomedical Technologies, National Research Council of Italy, via F.lli Cervi 93, 20090 Segrate (Mi), Italy
Received 28 March 2013; Revised 26 June 2013; Accepted 27 June 2013
Academic Editor: Rita Casadio
Copyright © 2013 Daniele D'Agostino et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Davie, “Cloud computing: a drug discovery game changer?” Innovations in Pharmaceutical Technology, no. 33, pp. 34–36, 2010.
- K. Krampis, T. Booth, B. Chapman et al., “Cloud BioLinux: pre-configured and on-demand bioinformatics computing for the genomics community,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 13, no. 1, article 42, 2012.
- S. V. Angiuoli, M. Matalka, A. Gussman et al., “CloVR: a virtual machine for automated and portable sequence analysis from the desktop using cloud computing,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 12, article 356, 2011.
- S. Ferretti, V. Ghini, F. Panzieri, M. Pellegrini, and E. Turrini, “QoS-aware clouds,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD '10), pp. 321–328, July 2010.
- S. P. Ahuja and S. Mani, “The state of high performance computing in the cloud,” Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 262–266, 2012.
- D. Salomoni, A. Italiano, and E. Ronchieri, “WNoDeS, a tool for integrated Grid and Cloud access and computing farm virtualization,” Journal of Physics, vol. 331, no. 5, Article ID 52017, 2011.
- “Three Types of Cloud Brokerages Will Enhance Cloud Services,” Gartner report, 2009, http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?ref=g_search&id=973412&subref=simplesearch.
- Q. Buyya, J. Broberg, and A. M. Goscinski, Cloud Computing: Principles and Paradigms, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- S. Grover, M. A. Apushkin, and G. A. Fishman, “Topical dorzolamide for the treatment of cystoid macular edema in patients with retinitis pigmentosa,” The American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 141, no. 5, pp. 850–858, 2006.
- M. Von Itzstein, W.-Y. Wu, G. B. Kok et al., “Rational design of potent sialidase-based inhibitors of influenza virus replication,” Nature, vol. 363, no. 6428, pp. 418–423, 1993.
- N. K. Terrett, A. S. Bell, D. Brown, and P. Ellis, “Sildenafil (Viagra(TM)), a potent and selective inhibitor of type 5 CGMP phosphodiesterase with utility for the treatment of male erectile dysfunction,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 6, no. 15, pp. 1819–1824, 1996.
- J. C. Goodgame, J. C. Pottage Jr., H. Jablonowski et al., “Amprenavir in combination with lamivudine and zidovudine versus lamivudine and zidovudine alone in HIV-1-infected antiretroviral-naive adults,” Antiviral Therapy, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 215–225, 2000.
- C. M. Song, S. J. Lim, and J. C. Tong, “Recent advances in computer-aided drug design,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 579–591, 2009.
- E. C. Butcher, E. L. Berg, and E. J. Kunkel, “Systems biology in drug discovery,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1253–1259, 2004.
- C. McInnes, “Virtual screening strategies in drug discovery,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 494–502, 2007.
- S. Ghosh, A. Nie, J. An, and Z. Huang, “Structure-based virtual screening of chemical libraries for drug discovery,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 194–202, 2006.
- J. D. Durrant and J. A. McCammon, “Molecular dynamics simulations and drug discovery,” BMC Biology, vol. 9, article 71, 2011.
- P. D'Ursi, F. Chiappori, I. Merelli, P. Cozzi, E. Rovida, and L. Milanesi, “Virtual screening pipeline and ligand modelling for H5N1 neuraminidase,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 383, no. 4, pp. 445–449, 2009.
- F. Chiappori, I. Merelli, L. Milanesi, and A. Marabotti, “Static and dynamic interactions between GALK enzyme and known inhibitors: guidelines to design new drugs for galactosemic patients,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 63, pp. 423–434, 2013.
- A. Bugatti, C. Giagulli, C. Urbinati et al., “Molecular interaction studies of HIV-1 matrix protein p17 and heparin: identification of the heparin-binding motif of p17 as a target for the development of multitarget antagonists,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 288, no. 2, pp. 1150–1161, 2013.
- E. Cichero, A. Ligresti, M. Allar et al., “Homology modeling in tandem with 3D-QSAR analyses: a computational approach to depict the agonist binding site of the human CB2 receptor,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 4489–4505, 2011.
- I. Merelli, P. Cozzi, D. D'Agostino, A. Clematis, and L. Milanesi, “Image-based surface matching algorithm oriented to structural biology,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1004–1016, 2011.
- E. Mosca, M. Barcella, R. Alfieri, A. Bevilacqua, G. Canti, and L. Milanesi, “Systems biology of the metabolic network regulated by the Akt pathway,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 131–141, 2012.
- D. Plewczynski, M. Hoffmann, M. Von Grotthuss, K. Ginalski, and L. Rychewski, “In silico prediction of SARS protease inhibitors by virtual high throughput screening,” Chemical Biology and Drug Design, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 269–279, 2007.
- W. Lew, X. Chen, and C. U. Kim, “Discovery and development of GS 4104 (oseltamivir): an orally active influenza neuraminidase inhibitor,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 663–672, 2000.
- A. Wolf, M. Shahid, V. Kasam, W. Ziegler, and M. Hofmann-Apitius, “In silico drug discovery approaches on grid computing infrastructures,” Current Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2010.
- P. T. Lang, S. R. Brozell, S. Mukherjee et al., “DOCK 6: combining techniques to model RNA-small molecule complexes,” RNA, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1219–1230, 2009.
- G. M. Morris, H. Ruth, W. Lindstrom et al., “Software news and updates AutoDock4 and AutoDockTools4: automated docking with selective receptor flexibility,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 30, no. 16, pp. 2785–2791, 2009.
- S. S. J. Cross, “Improved FlexX docking using FlexS-determined base fragment placement,” Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 993–1001, 2005.
- R. A. Friesner, R. B. Murphy, M. P. Repasky et al., “Extra precision glide: docking and scoring incorporating a model of hydrophobic enclosure for protein-ligand complexes,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 21, pp. 6177–6196, 2006.
- J. An, M. Totrov, and R. Abagyan, “Pocketome via comprehensive identification and classification of ligand binding envelopes,” Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 752–761, 2005.
- J. J. Irwin and B. K. Shoichet, “ZINC: a free database of commercially available compounds for virtual screening,” Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2005.
- C. A. Lipinski, F. Lombardo, B. W. Dominy, and P. J. Feeney, “Experimental and computational approaches to estimate solubility and permeability in drug discovery and development settings,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 46, no. 1–3, pp. 3–26, 2001.
- R. Huey, G. M. Morris, A. J. Olson, and D. S. Goodsell, “Software news and update a semiempirical free energy force field with charge-based desolvation,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1145–1152, 2007.
- H. Alonso, A. A. Bliznyuk, and J. E. Gready, “Combining docking and molecular dynamic simulations in drug design,” Medicinal Research Reviews, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 531–568, 2006.
- R. D. Malmstrom and S. J. Watowich, “Using free energy of binding calculations to improve the accuracy of virtual screening predictions,” Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1648–1655, 2011.
- S. Ekins, J. Mestres, and B. Testa, “In silico pharmacology for drug discovery: applications to targets and beyond,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 21–37, 2007.
- P. Gedeck and R. A. Lewis, “Exploiting QSAR models in lead optimization,” Current Opinion in Drug Discovery and Development, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 569–575, 2008.
- H.-C. Lee, J. Salzemann, N. Jacq et al., “Grid-enabled high-throughput in silico screening against influenza a neuraminidase,” IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 288–294, 2006.
- D. A. Case, T. A. Darden, T. E. Cheatham III et al., AMBER 12, University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 2012.
- B. Hess, C. Kutzner, D. van der Spoel, and E. Lindahl, “GRGMACS 4: algorithms for highly efficient, load-balanced, and scalable molecular simulation,” Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 435–447, 2008.
- J. C. Phillips, R. Braun, W. Wang et al., “Scalable molecular dynamics with NAMD,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 1781–1802, 2005.
- B. R. Brooks, C. L. Brooks III, A. D. Mackerell Jr. et al., “CHARMM: the biomolecular simulation program,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1545–1614, 2009.
- E. Afgan, D. Baker, N. Coraor, B. Chapman, A. Nekrutenko, and J. Taylor, “Galaxy CloudMan: delivering cloud compute clusters,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, no. 12, article S4, 2010.
- P. Chouvarine, A. M. Cooksey, F. M. McCarthy et al., “Transcriptome-based differentiation of closely-related Miscanthus lines,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e29850, 2012.
- L. D. Stein, “The case for cloud computing in genome informatics,” Genome Biology, vol. 11, no. 5, article 207, 2010.
- M. C. Schatz, B. Langmead, and S. L. Salzberg, “Cloud computing and the DNA data race,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 691–693, 2010.
- L. Kang, Q. Guo, and X. Wang, “A hierarchical method for molecular docking using cloud computing,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 22, no. 21, pp. 6568–6572, 2012.
- V. Garg, S. Arora, and C. Gupta, “Cloud computing approaches to accelerate drug discovery value chain,” Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 861–871, 2011.
- L. Dai, X. Gao, Y. Guo, J. Xiao, and Z. Zhang, “Bioinformatics clouds for big data manipulation,” Biology Direct, vol. 7, article 43, 2012.
- Alfieri, R. Arezzini, S. Barone et al., “The HPC Testbed of the Italian Grid Infrastructure,” in Proceedings of the 21st Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing (PDP), pp. 241–248, 2013.
- VENUS-C Deliverable D 3. 9, Future sustainability strategies, 2011, http://www.venus-c.eu/deliverables_year1/VENUS-C_D3.9.pdf.
- P. Kudtarkar, T. F. DeLuca, V. A. Fusaro, P. J. Tonellato, and D. P. Wall, “Cost-effective cloud computing: a case study using the comparative genomics tool, roundup,” Evolutionary Bioinformatics, vol. 2010, no. 6, pp. 197–203, 2010.
- M. Armbrust, A. Fox, R. Griffith et al., “Above the clouds: a Berkeley view of cloud computing,” Technical Report UCB/EECS-2009-28, University of California at Berkeley, 2009, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2009/EECS-2009-28.pdf.
- C. A. Lee, “A perspective on scientific cloud computing,” in Proceedings of the 19th ACM International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC '10), pp. 451–459, June 2010.
- R. Prodan, M. Wieczorek, and H. M. Fard, “Double auction-based scheduling of scientific applications in distributed grid and cloud environments,” Journal of Grid Computing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 531–548, 2011.
- J. Li, J. Peng, and W. Zhang, “A scheduling algorithm for private clouds,” Journal of Convergence Information Technology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1–9, 2011.
- S. K. Garg, C. S. Yeo, A. Anandasivam, and R. Buyya, “Environment-conscious scheduling of HPC applications on distributed Cloud-oriented data centers,” Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 732–749, 2011.
- J. Ekanayake, T. Gunarathne, and J. Qiu, “Cloud technologies for bioinformatics applications,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 998–1011, 2011.
- E. Roloff, F. Birck, M. Diener, A. Carissimi, and P. O. A. Navaux, “Evaluating high performance computing on the windows azure platform,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 5th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), pp. 803–810, 2012.
- A. Quarati, D. D'Agostino, A. Galizia, M. Mangini, and A. Clematis, “Delivering cloud services with QoS requirements: an opportunity for ICT SMEs,” Economics of Grids, Clouds, Systems, and Services, vol. 7714, pp. 197–211, 2012, Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- D. D'Agostino, A. Galizia, A. Clematis, M. Mangini, I. Porro, and A. Quarati, “A QoS-aware broker for hybrid clouds,” Computing, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 89–109, 2013.
- A. M. Law, Simulation Modeling and Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- D. A. Menascé, V. A. Almeida, and L. W. Dowdy, Performance By Design: Computer Capacity Planning By Example, Prentice-Hall, 2004.
- R. Nou, S. Kounev, and J. Torres, “Building online performance models of grid middleware with fine-grained load-balancing: a globus toolkit case study,” Formal Methods and Stochastic Models for Performance Evaluation, vol. 4748, pp. 125–140, 2007, Lecture Notes in Computer Science.