- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 179784, 16 pages
Skin Basement Membrane: The Foundation of Epidermal Integrity—BM Functions and Diverse Roles of Bridging Molecules Nidogen and Perlecan
1Department of Dermatology, University of Cologne, Kerpener Strasse 62, 50937 Cologne, Germany
2DGZ, Post Office Box, German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69009 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 10 August 2012; Revised 18 January 2013; Accepted 28 January 2013
Academic Editor: George E. Plopper
Copyright © 2013 Dirk Breitkreutz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [28 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Leena Bruckner-Tuderman, and Cristina Has, “Disorders of the cutaneous basement membrane zone - the paradigm of epidermolysis bullosa,” Matrix Biology, 2013.
- Margaret Mary Smith, and James Melrose, “Proteoglycans in Normal and Healing Skin,” Advances in Wound Care, pp. 150127064149004, 2013.
- Frazer J. Bye, Anthony J. Bullock, Rita Singh, Farshid Sefat, Sabiniano Roman, and Sheila MacNeil, “Development of a Basement Membrane Substitute Incorporated Into an Electrospun Scaffold for 3D Skin Tissue Engineering,” Journal Of Biomaterials And Tissue Engineering, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 686–692, 2014.
- S. Mosseri, U. Hetzel, Shelley Hahn, Eleni Michaloupoulou, Hannah Clare Sallabank, Derek C Knottenbelt, and A Kipar, “Equine sarcoid: in situ demonstration of matrix metalloproteinase expression,” The Veterinary Journal, 2014.
- Gernot Walko, Maria J. Castañón, and Gerhard Wiche, “Molecular architecture and function of the hemidesmosome,” Cell and Tissue Research, 2014.
- M. Aggarwal, M. Battalora, P. Fisher, A. Hüser, R. Parr-Dobrzanski, M. Soufi, V. Mostert, C. Strupp, P. Whalley, C. Wiemann, and R. Billington, “Assessment of in vitro human dermal absorption studies on pesticides to determine default values, opportunities for read-across and influence of dilution on absorption,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2014.
- Mallika Pathania, Elena V. Semina, and Melinda K. Duncan, “Lens Extrusion from Laminin Alpha 1 Mutant Zebrafish,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Caitlin J. Symonette, Aman Kaur Mann, Xiao Cherie Tan, Cornelia Tolg, Jenny Ma, Francisco Perera, Arjang Yazdani, and Eva A. Turley, “Hyaluronan-Phosphatidylethanolamine Polymers Form Pericellular Coats on Keratinocytes and Promote Basal Keratinocyte Proliferation,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- Josephine C. Adams, and Andrea Brancaccio, “The evolution of the dystroglycan complex, a major mediator of muscle integrity,” Biology Open, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1163–1179, 2015.
- Christianne M.A. Reijnders, Amanda van Lier, Sanne Roffel, Duco Kramer, Rik J. Scheper, and Susan Gibbs, “ Development of a Full-Thickness Human Skin Equivalent In Vitro Model Derived from TERT-Immortalized Keratinocytes and Fibroblasts ,” Tissue Engineering Part A, pp. 150803091301008, 2015.
- Gopu Sriram, Paul Lorenz Bigliardi, and Mei Bigliardi-Qi, “Fibroblast heterogeneity and its implications for engineering organotypic skin models in vitro,” European Journal of Cell Biology, 2015.
- Pascal Schlage, Tobias Kockmann, Jayachandran N. Kizhakkedathu, and Ulrich auf dem Keller, “Monitoring matrix metalloproteinase activity at the epidermal-dermal interface by SILAC-iTRAQ-TAILS,” Proteomics, 2015.
- Gernot Walko, Maria J. Castañón, and Gerhard Wiche, “Molecular architecture and function of the hemidesmosome,” Cell and Tissue Research, 2015.
- Kyle J. Miller, David A. Brown, Mohamed M. Ibrahim, Talisha D. Ramchal, and Howard Levinson, “MicroRNAs in Skin Tissue Engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2015.
- Fa-Ming Chen, and Xiaohua Liu, “Advancing biomaterials of human origin for tissue engineering,” Progress in Polymer Science, 2015.
- Sabita Saldanha, Kendra Royston, Neha Udayakumar, and Trygve Tollefsbol, “Epigenetic Regulation of Epidermal Stem Cell Biomarkers and Their Role in Wound Healing,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 16, 2015.
- Richard Wong, Stefan Geyer, Wolfgang Weninger, Jean-Claude Guimberteau, and Jason K. Wong, “The dynamic anatomy and patterning of skin,” Experimental Dermatology, 2015.
- Mohamed Abou-Elwafa Abdallah, Gopal Pawar, and Stuart Harrad, “Evaluation of in vitro vs. in vivo methods for assessment of dermal absorption of organic flame retardants: A review,” Environment International, vol. 74, pp. 13–22, 2015.
- Hye-Ryung Choi, Jung-Won Shin, Jung-Im Na, Kyung-Mi Nam, Hyun-Sun Lee, and Kyoung-Chan Park, “Novel Antioxidant Tripeptide “ACQ” Can Prevent UV-Induced Cell Death and Preserve the Number of Epidermal Stem Cells,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–11, 2015.
- Shelly TH McClatchey, Zheng Wang, Lara M Linden, Eric L Hastie, Lin Wang, Wanqing Shen, Alan Chen, Qiuyi Chi, and David R Sherwood, “Boundary cells restrict dystroglycan trafficking to control basement membrane sliding during tissue remodeling,” eLife, vol. 5, 2016.
- Ambika S. Kurbet, Samarth Hegde, Oindrila Bhattacharjee, Srujan Marepally, Praveen K. Vemula, and Srikala Raghavan, “Sterile Inflammation Enhances ECM Degradation in Integrin β1 KO Embryonic Skin,” Cell Reports, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3334–3347, 2016.
- Eric L. Hastie, and David R. Sherwood, “A new front in cell invasion: the invadopodial membrane,” European Journal of Cell Biology, 2016.
- Shaowei Yang, Yexiao Sun, Zhijun Geng, Kui Ma, Xiaoyan Sun, and Xiaobing Fu, “Abnormalities in the basement membrane structure promote basal keratinocytes in the epidermis of hypertrophic scars to adopt a proliferative phenotype,” International Journal Of Molecular Medicine, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1263–1273, 2016.
- Senthilnath Lakshmanachetty, and Maranke I. Koster, “Emerging roles for collagen XV and XVIII in cancer progression,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 346–347, 2016.
- Alvin Wen Choong Chua, Yik Cheong Khoo, Bien Keem Tan, Kok Chai Tan, Chee Liam Foo, and Si Jack Chong, “Skin tissue engineering advances in severe burns: review and therapeutic applications,” Burns & Trauma, vol. 4, no. 1, 2016.
- Joanna Jacków, Stefanie Löffek, Alexander Nyström, Leena Bruckner-Tuderman, and Claus-Werner Franzke, “Collagen XVII Shedding Suppresses Re-Epithelialization by Directing Keratinocyte Migration and Dampening mTOR Signaling,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 2016.
- Mahmoud Rouabhia, Hyun Jin Park, and Ze Zhang, “Electrically Activated Primary Human Fibroblasts Improve In Vitro and In Vivo Skin Regeneration,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 231, no. 8, pp. 1814–1821, 2016.
- Naoki Morimoto, Chizuru Jinno, Atsushi Mahara, Michiharu Sakamoto, Natsuko Kakudo, Masukazu Inoie, Toshia Fujisato, Shigehiko Suzuki, Kenji Kusumoto, and Tetsuji Yamaoka, “The Alteration of the Epidermal Basement Membrane Complex of Human Nevus Tissue and Keratinocyte Attachment after High Hydrostatic Pressurization,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2016, pp. 1–9, 2016.