- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 185317, 5 pages
Is Neutrophil/Lymphocyte Ratio Associated with Subclinical Inflammation and Amyloidosis in Patients with Familial Mediterranean Fever?
1Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
2Department of Medical Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
3Department of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
4Department of Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Received 28 April 2013; Revised 5 June 2013; Accepted 9 June 2013
Academic Editor: Akinori Nakamura
Copyright © 2013 Ali Ugur Uslu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Ben-Chetrit and M. Levy, “Familial Mediterranean fever,” The Lancet, vol. 351, no. 9103, pp. 659–664, 1998.
- C. Fonnesu, C. Cerquaglia, M. Giovinale et al., “Familial Mediterranean Fever: a review for clinical management,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 227–233, 2009.
- I. Ben-Zvi and A. Livneh, “Chronic inflammation in FMF: markers, risk factors, outcomes and therapy,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2011.
- C. Korkmaz, H. Özdogan, O. Kasapçopur, and H. Yazici, “Acute phase response in familial Mediterranean fever,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 79–81, 2002.
- H. J. Lachmann, B. Şengül, T. U. Yavuzşen et al., “Clinical and subclinical inflammation in patients with familial Mediterranean fever and in heterozygous carriers of MEFV mutations,” Rheumatology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 746–750, 2006.
- Y. Bilginer, T. Akpolat, and S. Ozen, “Renal amyloidosis in children,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1215–1227, 2011.
- R. Zahorec, “Ratio of neutrophil to lymphocyte counts–rapid and simple parameter of systemic inflammation and stress in critically ill,” Bratislavske Lekarske Listy, vol. 102, supplement 1, pp. 5–14, 2001.
- I. Tasoglu, D. Sert, N. Colak, et al., “Neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio and the platelet-lymphocyte ratio predict the limb survival in critical limb ischemia,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis. In press.
- M. Biyik, R. Ucar, Y. Solak, et al., “Blood neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio independently predicts survival in patients with liver cirrhosis,” European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, vol. 25, pp. 435–441, 2013.
- E. Pras, A. Livneh, J. E. Balow Jr., et al., “Clinical differences between North African and Iraqi Jews with familial Mediterranean fever,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 75, pp. 216–219, 1998.
- A. Soriano and R. Manna, “Familial Mediterranean fever: new phenotypes,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 12, pp. 31–37, 2012.
- A. Nakamura, M. Matsuda, K.-I. Tazawa, Y. Shimojima, and S.-I. Ikeda, “Successful treatment with infliximab and low-dose methotrexate in a Japanese patient with familial Mediterranean fever,” Internal Medicine, vol. 46, supplement 15, pp. 1247–1249, 2007.
- M. Dundar, A. Kiraz, B. Balta, et al., “The role of TNF-α and PAI-1 gene polymorphisms in familial Mediterranean fever,” Modern Rheumatology, vol. 23, pp. 140–145, 2013.
- Y. Berkun, S. Padeh, B. Reichman et al., “A single testing of serum amyloid a levels as a tool for diagnosis and treatment dilemmas in familial Mediterranean fever,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 182–188, 2007.
- M. Lidar and A. Livneh, “Familial mediterranean fever: clinical, molecular and management advancements,” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 65, supplement 9, pp. 318–324, 2007.
- K. Yildirim, H. Uzkeser, M. Keles et al., “Relationship between serum interleukin-1β levels and acute phase response proteins in patients with familial Mediterranean fever,” Biochemia Medica, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 109–113, 2012.
- S. Kiraz, I. Ertenli, M. Arici et al., “Effects of colchicine on inflammatory cytokines and selectins in familial Mediterranean fever,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 16, supplement 6, pp. 721–724, 1998.
- M. Onsrud and E. Thorsby, “Influence of in vivo hydrocortisone on some human blood lymphocyte subpopulations. I. Effect on natural killer cell activity,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 573–579, 1981.
- R. S. Hotchkiss and I. E. Karl, “The pathophysiology and treatment of sepsis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 138–150, 2003.
- M. Demir, “The relationship between neutrophil lymphocyte ratio and non-dipper hypertension,” Clinical and Experimental Hypertension, 2013.
- M. A. R. Muhmmed Suliman, A. A. Bahnacy Juma, A. A. Ali Almadhani, A. V. Pathare, S. S. A. Alkindi, and F. Uwe Werner, “Predictive value of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio in outcomes of patients with acute coronary syndrome,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 618–622, 2010.
- S. R. Walsh, E. J. Cook, F. Goulder, T. A. Justin, and N. J. Keeling, “Neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio as a prognostic factor in colorectal cancer,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 181–184, 2005.
- K. M. Sarraf, E. Belcher, E. Raevsky, A. G. Nicholson, P. Goldstraw, and E. Lim, “Neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio and its association with survival after complete resection in non-small cell lung cancer,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 425–428, 2009.
- W. He, C. Yin, G. Guo, et al., “Initial neutrophil lymphocyte ratio is superior to platelet lymphocyte ratio as an adverse prognostic and predictive factor in metastatic colorectal cancer,” Medical Oncology, vol. 30, supplement 1, p. 439, 2013.
- C. S. D. Roxburgh and D. C. McMillan, “Role of systemic inflammatory response in predicting survival in patients with primary operable cancer,” Future Oncology, vol. 6, supplement 1, pp. 149–163, 2010.
- M. J. Proctor, D. S. Morrison, D. Talwar et al., “An inflammation-based prognostic score (mGPS) predicts cancer survival independent of tumour site: a Glasgow Inflammation Outcome Study,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 104, supplement 4, pp. 726–734, 2011.
- A. Koch, H. Fohlin, and S. Sörenson, “Prognostic significance of C-reactive protein and smoking in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with first-line palliative chemotherapy,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 4, supplement 3, pp. 326–332, 2009.
- A. M. Al Murri, C. Wilson, A. Lannigan et al., “Evaluation of the relationship between the systemic inflammatory response and cancer-specific survival in patients with primary operable breast cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 96, supplement 6, pp. 891–895, 2007.
- M. Ikeda, H. Furukawa, H. Imamura et al., “Poor prognosis associated with thrombocytosis in patients with gastric cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 9, supplement 3, pp. 287–291, 2002.
- J. S. Yudkin, C. D. A. Stehouwer, J. J. Emeis, and S. W. Coppack, “C-reactive protein in healthy subjects: associations with obesity, insulin resistance, and endothelial dysfunction: a potential role for cytokines originating from adipose tissue?” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, supplement 4, pp. 972–978, 1999.
- E. Buyukkaya, M. F. Karakas, E. Karakas, et al., “Correlation of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio with the presence and severity of metabolic syndrome,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, 2012.
- M. Celikbilek, S. Dogan, O. Ozbakır, et al., “Neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio as a predictor of disease severity in ulcerative colitis,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, vol. 27, supplement 1, pp. 72–76, 2013.