- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 247438, 9 pages
Polymorphism of the Transferrin Gene in Eye Diseases: Keratoconus and Fuchs Endothelial Corneal Dystrophy
1Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Lodz, Pomorska 141/143, 90-236 Lodz, Poland
2University of Málaga, Avenida Cervantes 2, 29071 Malaga, Spain
3Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Warsaw and Samodzielny Publiczny Kliniczny Szpital Okulistyczny, Sierakowskiego 13, 03-710 Warsaw, Poland
Received 1 July 2013; Revised 14 October 2013; Accepted 14 October 2013
Academic Editor: M. Ilyas Kamboh
Copyright © 2013 Katarzyna A. Wójcik et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. T. Lieu, M. Heiskala, P. A. Peterson, and Y. Yang, “The roles of iron in health and disease,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 22, no. 1-2, pp. 1–87, 2001.
- N. C. Andrews, “Disorders of iron metabolism,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 26, pp. 1986–1995, 1999.
- W. Dröge, “Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 47–95, 2002.
- T. B. Kryston, A. B. Georgiev, P. Pissis, and A. G. Georgakilas, “Role of oxidative stress and DNA damage in human carcinogenesis,” Mutation Research, vol. 711, no. 1-2, pp. 193–201, 2011.
- K. Uchida, “Role of reactive aldehyde in cardiovascular diseases,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1685–1696, 2000.
- H. Sies, “Oxidative stress: oxidants and antioxidants,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 291–295, 1997.
- A. D. Sheftel, A. B. Mason, and P. Ponka, “The long history of iron in the Universe and in health and disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1820, no. 3, pp. 161–187, 2012.
- W. Y. Ong, K. Tanaka, G. S. Dawe, L. M. Ittner, and A. A. Farooqui, “Slow excitotoxicity in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 643–668, 2013.
- O. Weinreb, S. Mandel, M. B. Youdim, and T. Amit, “Targeting dysregulation of brain iron homeostasis in Parkinson's disease by iron chelators,” Free Radical Biology & Medicine, vol. 62, pp. 52–64, 2013.
- T. A. Rouault, “The role of iron regulatory proteins in mammalian iron homeostasis and disease,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 406–414, 2006.
- M. W. Hentze, M. U. Muckenthaler, and N. C. Andrews, “Balancing acts: molecular control of mammalian iron metabolism,” Cell, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 285–297, 2004.
- P. Ponka and C. N. Lok, “The transferrin receptor: role in health and disease,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1111–1137, 1999.
- H. Li and Z. M. Qian, “Transferrin/transferrin receptor-mediated drug delivery,” Medicinal Research Reviews, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 225–250, 2002.
- D. R. Richardson, L. Dickson, and E. Baker, “Intermediate steps in cellular iron uptake from transferrin. II. A cytoplasmic pool of iron is released from cultured cells via temperature- dependent mechanical wounding,” In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 486–495, 1996.
- P. M. Harrison and P. Arosio, “The ferritins: molecular properties, iron storage function and cellular regulation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1275, no. 3, pp. 161–203, 1996.
- A. O. Eghrari and J. D. Gottsch, “Fuchs corneal dystrophy,” Expert Review of Ophthalmology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 147–159, 2010.
- H. Elhalis, B. Azizi, and U. V. Jurkunas, “Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy,” Ocular Surface, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 173–184, 2010.
- A. Thalamuthu, C. C. Khor, D. Venkataraman et al., “Association of TCF4 gene polymorphisms with Fuchs' corneal dystrophy in the Chinese,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 5573–5578, 2011.
- T. Schmedt, M. M. Silva, A. Ziaei, and U. Jurkunas, “Molecular bases of corneal endothelial dystrophies,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2012.
- B. Hemadevi, M. Srinivasan, J. Arunkumar, N. V. Prajna, and P. Sundaresan, “Genetic analysis of patients with Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy in India,” BMC Ophthalmology, vol. 10, no. 1, p. 3, 2010.
- S. A. Riazuddin, N. A. Zaghloul, A. Al-Saif et al., “Missense mutations in TCF8 cause late-onset Fuchs corneal dystrophy and interact with FCD4 on chromosome 9p,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2010.
- E. N. Vithana, P. E. Morgan, V. Ramprasad et al., “SLC4A11 mutations in Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 656–666, 2008.
- S. A. Riazuddin, E. N. Vithana, L. Seet et al., “Missense mutations in the sodium borate cotransporter SLC4A11 cause late-onset Fuchs corneal dystrophya,” Human Mutation, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1261–1268, 2010.
- M. Romero-Jiménez, J. Santodomingo-Rubido, and J. S. Wolffsohn, “Keratoconus: a review,” Contact Lens and Anterior Eye, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 157–166, 2010.
- T. Sherwin and N. H. Brookes, “Morphological changes in keratoconus: pathology or pathogenesis,” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 211–217, 2004.
- O. B. Timucin, M. F. Karadag, and A. Cinal, “Assessment of keratocyte density in patients with keratoconus not using contact lenses,” Contact Lens and Anterior Eye, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 80–85, 2013.
- Y. S. Rabinowitz, “Keratoconus,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 297–319, 1998.
- M. Edwards, C. N. J. McGhee, and S. Dean, “The genetics of keratoconus,” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 345–351, 2001.
- K. Nielsen, J. Hjortdal, M. Pihlmann, and T. J. Corydon, “Update on the keratoconus genetics,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 106–113, 2013.
- M. Tanwar, M. Kumar, B. Nayak et al., “VSX1 gene analysis in keratoconus,” Molecular Vision, vol. 16, pp. 2395–2401, 2010.
- M. Stabuc-Silih, M. Ravnik-Glavac, D. Glavac, M. Hawlina, and M. Strazisar, “Polymorphisms in COL4A3 and COL4A4 genes associated with keratoconus,” Molecular Vision, vol. 15, pp. 2848–2860, 2009.
- M. Stabuc-Silih, M. Strazisar, M. Ravnik-Glavac, M. Hawlina, and D. Glavac, “Genetics and clinical characteristics of keratoconus,” Acta Dermatovenerologica Alpina, vol. 19, pp. 3–10, 2010.
- M. C. Kenney and D. J. Brown, “The cascade hypothesis of keratoconus,” Contact Lens and Anterior Eye, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 139–146, 2003.
- M. Chwa, S. R. Atilano, D. Hertzog et al., “Hypersensitive response to oxidative stress in keratoconus corneal fibroblasts,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 4361–4369, 2008.
- U. V. Jurkunas, M. S. Bitar, T. Funaki, and B. Azizi, “Evidence of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 177, no. 5, pp. 2278–2289, 2010.
- R. Buddi, B. Lin, S. R. Atilano, N. C. Zorapapel, M. C. Kenney, and D. J. Brown, “Evidence of oxidative stress in human corneal diseases,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 341–351, 2002.
- E. Arnal, C. Peris-Martínez, J. L. Menezo, S. Johnsen-Soriano, and F. J. Romero, “Oxidative stress in keratoconus?” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 8592–8597, 2011.
- J. T. Holladay, “Keratoconus detection using corneal topography,” Journal of Refractive Surgery, vol. 25, supplement 10, pp. S958–S962, 2009.
- S. C. Pflugfelder, Z. Liu, W. Feuer, and A. Verm, “Corneal thickness indices discriminate between keratoconus and contact lens-induced corneal thinning,” Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 12, pp. 2336–2341, 2002.
- J. P. Szaflik, “Comparison of in vivo confocal microscopy of human cornea by white light scanning slit and laser scanning systems,” Cornea, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 438–445, 2007.
- J. S. Weiss, H. U. Møller, W. Lisch et al., “The IC3D classification of the corneal dystrophies,” Cornea, vol. 27, supplement 2, pp. S42–S83, 2008.
- M. C. Kenney, M. Chwa, S. R. Atilano et al., “Increased levels of catalase and cathepsin V/l2 but decreased TIMP-1 in keratoconus corneas: evidence that oxidative stress plays a role in this disorder,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 823–832, 2005.
- J. D. Gottsch, A. L. Bowers, E. H. Margulies et al., “Serial analysis of gene expression in the corneal endothelium of Fuchs' dystrophy,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 594–599, 2003.
- J. Lee, M. J. Calkins, K. Chan, Y. W. Kan, and J. A. Johnson, “Identification of the NF-E2-related factor-2-dependent genes conferring protection against oxidative stress in primary cortical astrocytes using oligonucleotide microarray analysis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 14, pp. 12029–12038, 2003.
- A. Behndig, K. Karlsson, B. O. Johansson, T. Brännström, and S. L. Marklund, “Superoxide dismutase isoenzymes in the normal and diseased human cornea,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 2293–2296, 2001.
- S. R. Atilano, P. Coskun, M. Chwa et al., “Accumulation of mitochondrial DNA damage in keratoconus corneas,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1256–1263, 2005.
- X. He, P. Hahn, J. Iacovelli et al., “Iron homeostasis and toxicity in retinal degeneration,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 649–673, 2007.
- S. A. Benkovic and J. R. Connor, “Ferritin, transferrin, and iron in selected regions of the adult and aged rat brain,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 338, no. 1, pp. 97–113, 1993.
- P. Aisen, “Entry of iron into cells: a new role for the transferrin receptor in modulating iron release from transferrin,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 32, pp. S62–S68, 1992.
- P. Aisen, “Transferrin receptor 1,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 2137–2143, 2004.
- C. Baudouin, F. Brignole, D. Fredj-Reygrobellet, F. Negre, J. Bayle, and P. Gastaud, “Transferrin receptor expression by retinal pigment epithelial cells in proliferative vitreoretinopathy,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 2822–2829, 1992.
- D. Wysokinski, K. Danisz, J. Blasiak et al., “An association of transferrin gene polymorphism and serum transferrin levels with age-related macular degeneration,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 106, pp. 14–23, 2013.
- S. Beatty, H. Koh, M. Phil, D. Henson, and M. Boulton, “The role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 115–134, 2000.
- P. Hahn, A. H. Milam, and J. L. Dunaief, “Maculas affected by age-related macular degeneration contain increased chelatable iron in the retinal pigment epithelium and Bruch's membrane,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 121, no. 8, pp. 1099–1105, 2003.
- I. Chowers, R. Wong, T. Dentchev et al., “The iron carrier transferrin is upregulated in retinas from patients with age-related macular degeneration,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 2135–2140, 2006.
- J. Blasiak, J. Szaflik, and J. P. Szaflik, “Implications of altered iron homeostasis for age-related macular degeneration,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1551–1559, 2011.
- Y. Imamura, S. Noda, K. Hashizume et al., “Drusen, choroidal neovascularization, and retinal pigment epithelium dysfunction in SOD1-deficient mice: a model of age-related macular degeneration,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 30, pp. 11282–11287, 2006.
- J. Wheeler, M. A. Hauser, N. A. Afshari, R. R. Allingham, and Y. Liu, “The genetics of keratoconus: a review,” Reproductive System & Sexual Disorders, supplement 6, p. 001, 2012.
- Y. Lu, V. Vitart, K. P. Burdon et al., “Genome-wide assiation analyses identify multiple loci associated with central corneal thickness and keratoconus,” Nature Genetics, vol. 45, pp. 155–163, 2013.
- A. Abu, M. Frydman, D. Marek et al., “Deleterious mutations in the zinc-finger 469 gene cause brittle cornea syndrome,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 1217–1222, 2008.
- A. O. Khan, M. A. Aldahmesh, J. N. Mohamed, and F. S. Alkuraya, “Blue sclera with and without corneal fragility (brittle cornea syndrome) in a consanguineous family harboring ZNF469 mutation (p.E1392X),” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 128, no. 10, pp. 1376–1379, 2010.
- F. Segev, E. Héon, W. G. Cole et al., “Structural abnormalities of the cornea and lid resulting from collagen V mutations,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 565–573, 2006.
- J. D. Gottsch, O. H. Sundin, S. H. Liu et al., “Inheritance of a novel COL8A2 mutation defines a distinct early-onset subtype of fuchs corneal dystrophy,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1934–1939, 2005.
- O. H. Sundin, K. W. Broman, H. H. Chang, E. C. L. Vito, W. J. Stark, and J. D. Gottsch, “A common locus for late-onset Fuchs corneal dystrophy maps to 18q21.2-q21.32,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 3919–3926, 2006.
- S. A. Riazuddin, A. O. Eghrari, A. Al-Saif et al., “Linkage of a mild late-onset phenotype of fuchs corneal dystrophy to a novel locus at 5q33.1-q35.2,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 5667–5671, 2009.
- O. H. Sundin, A. S. Jun, K. W. Broman et al., “Linkage of late-onset fuchs corneal dystrophy to a novel locus at 13pTel-13q12.13,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 140–145, 2006.
- N. A. Afshari, Y. Li, M. A. Pericak-Vance, S. Gregory, and G. K. Klintworth, “Genome-wide linkage scan in fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 1093–1097, 2009.
- K. H. Baratz, N. Tosakulwong, E. Ryu et al., “E2-2 protein and Fuchs's corneal dystrophy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 11, pp. 1016–1024, 2010.