- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 290609, 5 pages
Report on Influenza A and B Viruses: Their Coinfection in a Saudi Leukemia Patient
1Department of Botany and Microbiology, College of Science, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2455, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
2Center of Excellence in Biotechnology Research, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2460, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
3Department of Biotechnology, University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, P.O. Box 13100, Muzaffarabad, Pakistan
Received 9 April 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Jiing-Kuan Yee
Copyright © 2013 Fahad N. Almajhdi and Ghazanfar Ali. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Arola, O. Ruuskanen, T. Ziegler, and T. T. Salmi, “Respiratory virus infections during anticancer treatment in children,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 690–694, 1995.
- M. C. Mendoza Sánchez, J. Ruiz-Contreras, J. L. Vivanco et al., “Respiratory virus infections in children with cancer or HIV infection,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 154–159, 2006.
- B. A. Cunha, “Swine Influenza (H1N1) Pneumonia: clinical Considerations,” Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 203–228, 2010.
- K. L. Hicks, R. F. Chemaly, and D. P. Kontoyiannis, “Common community respiratory viruses in patients with cancer: more than just “common colds”,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 2576–2587, 2003.
- E. Whimbey, “Community respiratory virus infections in immunocompromised patients with cancer,” American Journal of Medicine A, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 10–18, 1997.
- H. M. Yousuf, J. Englund, R. Couch, et al., “Influenza among hospitalized adults with leukemia,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1095–1099, 1997.
- C. Launes, S. Rives, A. Català et al., “Pandemic influenza A (2009 H1N1) in children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 874–878, 2010.
- S. E. Lapinsky, “H1N1 novel influenza A in pregnant and immunocompromised patients,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. e52–e57, 2010.
- A. Falchi, C. Arena, L. Andreoletti et al., “Dual infections by influenza A/H3N2 and B viruses and by influenza A/H3N2 and A/H1N1 viruses during winter 2007, Corsica Island, France,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 148–151, 2008.
- A. Franz, O. Adams, R. Willems et al., “Correlation of viral load of respiratory pathogens and co-infections with disease severity in children hospitalized for lower respiratory tract infection,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 239–245, 2010.
- S. Shimada, K. Sadamasu, T. Shinkai et al., “Virological analysis of a case of dual infection by influenza A (H3N2) and B viruses,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 67–68, 2006.
- S. Toda, R. Okamoto, T. Nishida et al., “Isolation of influenza A/H3 and B viruses from an influenza patient: confirmation of co-infection by two influenza viruses,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 142–143, 2006.
- WHO, “Review of the 2010-2011 winter influenza season, northern hemisphere,” Weekly Epidemiological Record, vol. 86, pp. 222–225, 2011.
- E. C. Claas, A. J. van Milaan, M. J. W. Sprenger et al., “Prospective application of reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for diagnosing influenza infections in respiratory samples from a children's hospital,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2218–2221, 1993.
- J. C. Hierholzer, M. T. Suggs, and E. C. Hall, “Standardized viral hemagglutination and hemagglutination-inhibition tests. II. Description and statistical evaluation,” Applied microbiology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 824–833, 1969.
- M. T. Coiras, J. C. Aguilar, M. L. García, I. Casas, and P. Pérez-Breña, “Simultaneous detection of fourteen respiratory viruses in clinical specimens by two multiplex reverse transcription nested-PCR assays,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 484–495, 2004.
- S. Bellau-Pujol, A. Vabret, L. Legrand et al., “Development of three multiplex RT-PCR assays for the detection of 12 respiratory RNA viruses,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 126, no. 1-2, pp. 53–63, 2005.
- A. Eshaghi, J. Blair, L. Burton et al., “Characterization of an influenza A and influenza B co-infection of a patient in a long-term care facility with co-circulating influenza A and influenza B,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. e127–e128, 2009.
- A. Calistri, C. Salata, M. Cosentino et al., “Report of two cases of influenza virus A/H1N1v and B co-infection during the 2010/2011 epidemics in the Italian Veneto Region,” Virology Journal, vol. 8, p. 502, 2011.
- J. Brouard, F. Freymuth, A. Vabret, M. Jokic, B. Guillois, and J. F. Duhamel, “Simultaneous viral infections in immunocompetent infants with bronchiolitis: a prospective study,” Archives de Pediatrie, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 531–535, 2000.
- W. P. Glezen, A. Paredes, and L. H. Taber, “Influenza in children. Relationship to other respiratory agents,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 243, no. 13, pp. 1345–1349, 1980.
- S. A. Madhi, B. Schoub, K. Simmank, N. Blackburn, and K. P. Klugman, “Increased burden of respiratory viral associated severe lower respiratory tract infections in children infected with human immunodeficiency virus type-1,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 2000.
- X. Xu, S. E. Lindstrom, M. W. Shaw et al., “Reassortment and evolution of current human influenza A and B viruses,” Virus Research, vol. 103, no. 1-2, pp. 55–60, 2004.
- D. W. Ortbals, H. Liebhaber, and C. A. Presant, “Influenza immunization of adult patients with malignant diseases,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 552–557, 1977.
- W. Lo, E. Whimbey, L. Elting, R. Couch, F. Cabanillas, and G. Bodey, “Antibody response to a two-dose influenza vaccine regimen in adult lymphoma patients on chemotherapy,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 778–782, 1993.